View Poll Results: Has Chris Christie essentially switched political parties?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Chris Christie now is essentially a Democrat or aligned with Democrats

    5 13.51%
  • No, Chris Christie is still a Republican and aligned with Republicans

    13 35.14%
  • Chris Christie is foremost a maverick or independent

    12 32.43%
  • IDK/Other

    7 18.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    ^ That's the first pro-Christie Democrat to post.
    I'm neither pro- nor anti-Christie. Like I said, he's a Republican so I disagree with most of his policy positions. I think it's great that he's challenging his own party to help the people in his state, but calling me "pro-Christie" is inaccurate. It's also a kind of weird response to what I posted.

  2. #12
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,282

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Although the keynote speaker for John McCain, in the last weeks of the election Christie praised President Obama for "doing a great job" and boycotted Romney events. Romney's steady slow rise in the polls rapidly reversed and Democrats lavished praises on Christie.

    Christie is now hold press conferences to blast all Republicans in the House in Congress. Again, Democrats and the Democratic media are lavishing praises on Christie for his siding with the Democrats and now also condemning all Republicans in Congress.

    This is CNN's analysis, declaring Christie's attack on Republicans in Congress is what Washington needs.

    "New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie dropped a bomb on Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Congress for refusing to allow a vote on Hurricane Sandy relief in the final hours of the 112th Congress. It was an instant classic of principled political outrage. It provided a strong dose of what Washington has been missing: blunt, independent leadership."


    Chris Christie drops bomb on GOP leaders

    "Pulling no punches, Christie declared: "Last night, the House majority failed most basic test of leadership and they did so with callous disregard to the people of my state. ... It was disappointing and disgusting to watch." He also unapologetically named names: "There's only one group to blame ... the House majority, and their Speaker, John Boehner." He added that the relief bill "just could not overcome the toxic internal politics of the House majority."

    Chris Christie drops bomb on GOP leaders - CNN.com

    Has Chris Christie essentially switched political parties?
    I think he was defending his constituency. The fact that Repub intransigence was the problem just gave a focal point to his bloviating. He must be partially OK because he's an elected Republican in a Democratic area. He's asking for the same disaster relief that has been automatically given in other areas of the country. He did acknowledge previously that Obama showed up in New Jersey to commit Federal resources immediately after the storm. Sounds like Christie might be grounded in the real world. A credit to him.

  3. #13
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Although the keynote speaker for John McCain, in the last weeks of the election Christie praised President Obama for "doing a great job" and boycotted Romney events. Romney's steady slow rise in the polls rapidly reversed and Democrats lavished praises on Christie.
    What world are you living in? He didn't boycott Romney events. he was dealing with a ****ing Hurricane that wiped out parts of his state. Do you really think he should have neglected that so he could go kiss Romney's ass? That's not a boycott.

    Also, Romney's steady slow rise? Rapidly reversed? The polls always had Obama as the clear favorite, and it had nothing to do with anything Christie did. You're not in touch with reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #14
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    This is mostly in his own self interest. He sees the national trend of hatred for all things Republican and is simply ensuring his own political capital is safe. I'm sure some of this is the fact that he's concerned about his state. I won't claim that the guy is totally callous to his own constituents plights. However, ALL politicians weigh public opinion into their actions and decisions. I'm sure Christie did the same.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #15
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    I'm a registered republican but one thing that gets me about partisan politics is apparently you're not allowed to think and speak for yourself. You have to go along with the group-think/group-speak culture. Party loyalty trumps patriotism. A "traitor" isn't just somebody who renounces his American citizenship and joins Al Qaeda, but also those who happen to prefer the candidate of the opposing party in a election or supports policies "Big Brother GOP" hasn't given him permission to support. Gov. Christie's job is to lead and stand up for the people of New Jersey, period. Every point he made in his press conference is 100% right.

    I'm sorry, but people died for my right to vote for whoever I want, speak my mind on any issue I want and take any position I want. Why the GOP insists on driving me to support the opposition by thinking I'm supposed surrender my intellectual autonomy baffling. I'm not about to hand my freedom of thought and speech over to a political party just because I'm a registered member and that somehow means they own me. I commend Gov. Christie for having a similar conviction. Right now Gov. Christie heads a list of Republicans I can count on one hand who I can support with a clear conscience, not due to policy for the most part but the culture, part of which is the notion that says "real Republicans" don't think for themselves and if they do they better either be in lockstep agreement with the official approved agenda or you better keep your mouth shut.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #16
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    There is a reason for that. The T party has pulled the party so far right fewer and fewer can tolerate it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    This is mostly in his own self interest. He sees the national trend of hatred for all things Republican and is simply ensuring his own political capital is safe. I'm sure some of this is the fact that he's concerned about his state. I won't claim that the guy is totally callous to his own constituents plights. However, ALL politicians weigh public opinion into their actions and decisions. I'm sure Christie did the same.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  7. #17
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I think he was defending his constituency. The fact that Repub intransigence was the problem just gave a focal point to his bloviating. He must be partially OK because he's an elected Republican in a Democratic area. He's asking for the same disaster relief that has been automatically given in other areas of the country. He did acknowledge previously that Obama showed up in New Jersey to commit Federal resources immediately after the storm. Sounds like Christie might be grounded in the real world. A credit to him.
    On the other hand, one that decries the massive federal deficit, yet begs at the trough of federal borrowing when it is "his" state's turn to feed from it, is hardly acting as a fiscal conservative. The "automatically given" aspect of your post is indicative of the problem, as all spending is now exempted from the "pay as you go" rule/law/policy/sham that is supposed to require not borrowing more for every possible reason (excuse?), but to cut spending on something else as priorities change. In the real world, as in your home, you make choices and use credit only as a last resort, not to simply put groceries on the table and pay the rent.

    Before you go off on how the Sandy storm was a one time disaster, recall just what other, non-disaster, reasons were used to remove the "automatic" expiration of the "temporary" Bush tax cuts or to stem the "crisis" of sequestration spending cuts approved just in time for the last election, yet removal plans for those spending cuts (now underway) are seen as "compromise". The congress critters are totally out of control; they just approved $120 billion in FIT "increases" (that were, in fact FIT decreses) two days ago, yet have planned spending increases of $60 billion on Sandy "relief" efforts, meaning that the resulting defict "reduction" was cut in half within the week. Spending by our congress critters is totally out of control, "budgets" are a thing of the past and raising the debt "ceiling" is now as routine as can be, just another formality and opportunity for "compromise".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #18
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,613

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Although the keynote speaker for John McCain, in the last weeks of the election Christie praised President Obama for "doing a great job" and boycotted Romney events. Romney's steady slow rise in the polls rapidly reversed and Democrats lavished praises on Christie.

    Christie is now hold press conferences to blast all Republicans in the House in Congress. Again, Democrats and the Democratic media are lavishing praises on Christie for his siding with the Democrats and now also condemning all Republicans in Congress.

    This is CNN's analysis, declaring Christie's attack on Republicans in Congress is what Washington needs.

    "New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie dropped a bomb on Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Congress for refusing to allow a vote on Hurricane Sandy relief in the final hours of the 112th Congress. It was an instant classic of principled political outrage. It provided a strong dose of what Washington has been missing: blunt, independent leadership."


    Chris Christie drops bomb on GOP leaders

    "Pulling no punches, Christie declared: "Last night, the House majority failed most basic test of leadership and they did so with callous disregard to the people of my state. ... It was disappointing and disgusting to watch." He also unapologetically named names: "There's only one group to blame ... the House majority, and their Speaker, John Boehner." He added that the relief bill "just could not overcome the toxic internal politics of the House majority."

    Chris Christie drops bomb on GOP leaders - CNN.com

    Has Chris Christie essentially switched political parties?
    No, he has not and he was not the only republican to who spoke out about the lack of Sandy relief.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    On the other hand, one that decries the massive federal deficit, yet begs at the trough of federal borrowing when it is "his" state's turn to feed from it, is hardly acting as a fiscal conservative.
    Like that hero of the fiscal conservatives Paul Ryan who attacked everything from earmarks to lobbyists BUT didn't mind helping his constituents get in line for a handout.

    Face it, there are no true fiscal conservatives when it comes to their voters. About the only time a fiscal conservative turns down money is when it goes to a program he doesn't support for folks who wouldn't vote for him on a double dirty dawg bet!

    Is fun to see Gov. Christie going from the heart throb of the Tea Party for calling out the Jersey Dems to a party jumping scoundrel for doing what ANY Governor would do after a hurricane hits their state and Congress doesn't approve federal funds to help.

    If the House was controlled by the Dems you can bet your tea party hiney the fiscal conservatives wouldn't be applauding fiscal restraint, or attacking Christie as a 'fatass' whiner (ummm didn't the tea party faithful attack the dems for calling Christie a fatass- funny how that works) No Sir, they would be screaming it was pond scum low political payback.

    Kinda predictable... more than a bit sad...

  10. #20
    Student Vapor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    150

    Re: Has Chris Christy Switched Party?

    He's never going to be a Democrat, but he isn't a Republican sheep, either. The man has integrity, and is more than willing to give the finger to party policy if that will serve his constituents better. He is not a flipflopping backstabber; he is an honest and true statesman. I abhor our two-party system, but if I were ever to ever smile at a GOP ticket, it would be one with Christy for president. We need more men like him, men who won't hesitate to step out of their party's line and call corruption and stupidity where they see it. Hell, to be entirely honest, I'd probably vote for Christy for that very reason, coupled with the fact that, living in Oklahoma, my voting choices are GOP or Democrat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •