View Poll Results: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    49 75.38%
  • No

    16 24.62%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 239

Thread: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

  1. #51
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    You have to live with the consequences of your actions, you did something irresponsible you have to live with it. Just to prove it I'm going to use something said earlier, what if someone was convicted of child molestation should they be allowed to adopt children "because past actions are not necessarily a reflection of the future"?
    That is not any kind of example. You are trying to compare something that is a known character flaw that cannot be treated with simple irresponsibility or bad judgement. No comparison at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #52
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    You have to live with the consequences of your actions, you did something irresponsible you have to live with it. Just to prove it I'm going to use something said earlier, what if someone was convicted of child molestation should they be allowed to adopt children "because past actions are not necessarily a reflection of the future"?
    That analogy does not correspond to your argument. You've clearly and explicitly stated that anybody convicted of any violent crime should never be allowed to own a gun. The analogy above would be more equatable to the argument others have made (which makes much more sense than yours), that anybody convicted of a violent crime in which they used a gun should never be allowed to own one.

    A better analogy for YOUR idiotic argument would be, "If somebody were convicted of child molestation should they be denied the ability to run on a high school track after the students have departed for the day?"
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #53
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    No it's just a different punishment you'll just have higher insurance later in life. You still have to live with the consequences of your actions.
    I'm sorry, but I can't possibly debate against such stupid double standards and idiotic statements.
    Last edited by tessaesque; 01-02-13 at 04:36 PM.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #54
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is not any kind of example. You are trying to compare something that is a known character flaw that cannot be treated with simple irresponsibility or bad judgement. No comparison at all.
    Fine how about the car crash example previously mentioned you have to live with higher insurance rates, if your convicted of a violent offense you cannot but a gun. You have to live with the consequences of it.

  5. #55
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    No it's just a different punishment you'll just have higher insurance later in life. You still have to live with the consequences of your actions.
    No you will not depending on your driving record since that time. I had an accident several years ago and it does not affect my rates at all, nothing. I had one not 4 years ago that was my fault, guess what.. My rates did not go up because I have a long standing good reputation with my insurance company. One mistake should not make you liable for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #56
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Fine how about the car crash example previously mentioned you have to live with higher insurance rates, if your convicted of a violent offense you cannot but a gun. You have to live with the consequences of it.
    You don't have higher insurance rates forever. You might have them temporarily, but you don't get "punished" for life.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #57
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Fine how about the car crash example previously mentioned you have to live with higher insurance rates, if your convicted of a violent offense you cannot but a gun. You have to live with the consequences of it.
    Already covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #58
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Already covered.
    Good now say you killed or badly injured someone in that accident.

  9. #59
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Good now say you killed or badly injured someone in that accident.
    So what? We call them "accidents" for a reason. And someone was injured in the other accident. Again no change in my rates, nothing.

    No one should be punished for life because of an "accident."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #60
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should someone who commits a crime with a gun be forever banned from owning one?

    As many here have stated, I say felonies, yes. Incidental stuff where there was no criminal intent involving the gun, no. I'd also be willing to allow exceptions for rifles wanted for home protection only (can't leave home with it) especially in high crime or isolated rural areas where more than the person in question resides in some cases.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •