View Poll Results: Is it unreasonable to pay a little more?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm a greedy bastard!! I need MORE!!!

    28 28.87%
  • No. There's comes a point in wealthiness where it just doesn't even matter anymore.

    61 62.89%
  • I'm not sure.

    8 8.25%
Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 809

Thread: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

  1. #761
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    I'd have no problem with the wealthy paying a little bit more, IF the purpose behind it wasn't so that those who already pay the least (and get the most) could pay even less.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #762
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    The problem I have with shouldering the burden on the wealthy "a little bit more" is that it creates a slippery slope. Guys like catawba would argue for a little more...then a little more...then a little more.

    He'd probably rather see corporate/rich tax rates to the level they were pre-Kennedy, probably out of jealousy.

  3. #763
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The problem I have with shouldering the burden on the wealthy "a little bit more" is that it creates a slippery slope. Guys like catawba would argue for a little more...then a little more...then a little more.

    He'd probably rather see corporate/rich tax rates to the level they were pre-Kennedy, probably out of jealousy.
    yep.. "a little bit more' is never enough. i guess they figure people would revolt if you asked for a lot, but if you take it in small enough chunks no one would notice.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #764
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yep.. "a little bit more' is never enough. i guess they figure people would revolt if you asked for a lot, but if you take it in small enough chunks no one would notice.
    What I find amazing is that the Greek...oh, sorry...AMERICAN public can argue about tax rates when spending into total collapse. The whole business of letting politicians pick winners and losers is merely a diversion from the real issue. Balanced budgets including debt service is the only way to make the US sustainable.

    To be fair, using either flat income tax or consumption tax (better, as it puts us manufacturers on more even footing with Chinese) rate adjusted to meet budget is the best way. To that, I would add hefty speculation tax.

  5. #765
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    I invite anyone interested to take the time to read Andrew Carnegie's 'Gospel of Wealth'
    http://http://www.swarthmore.edu/Soc.../Carnegie.html

    If today's wealthiest adhered to what was written -- how many of you would answer this poll different?

  6. #766
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    The rich make an AVERAGE of $365 million per year.

    They can pay 80% taxes and live just fine ..................

    See when the rich PAY Gov taxes instead of PROFITING from Gov Via the MIC, then they will be on our side to
    reduce waste like the MIC.

  7. #767
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post

    They can pay 80% taxes and live just fine ...................
    It is not a matter of "can they", it is a matter of "should they".

    hell, they could pay 99% in taxes and live like the rest of us, but where then is the incentive to go above and beyond?

    my baby bro is a pediatric heart surgeon. do you really think he would have spent 4 years in college, 4 years in medical school, 4 years general surgery residence, 3 years cardio-thorasic residence and 1 year in pediatrics to turn around a pay so much taxes that he gets to keep the same amount of $$$$ that some guy who graduated HS and went straight to work at some factory?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #768
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    hell, they could pay 99% in taxes and live like the rest of us, but where then is the incentive to go above and beyond?
    No one is proposing 99% taxes, but are you trying to say there was no incentive for the wealthy when effective tax rates were 60% for the top tax bracket from the 1940's until the 1980's?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #769
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    The rich make an AVERAGE of $365 million per year.

    They can pay 80% taxes and live just fine ..................

    See when the rich PAY Gov taxes instead of PROFITING from Gov Via the MIC, then they will be on our side to
    reduce waste like the MIC.
    You probably "could" pay more and live just fine too.

    Fortunately, I'm not here to be some sort of moral judge, like all the big government crowd wants to do.

  10. #770
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,187

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    It is not a matter of "can they", it is a matter of "should they".

    hell, they could pay 99% in taxes and live like the rest of us, but where then is the incentive to go above and beyond?

    my baby bro is a pediatric heart surgeon. do you really think he would have spent 4 years in college, 4 years in medical school, 4 years general surgery residence, 3 years cardio-thorasic residence and 1 year in pediatrics to turn around a pay so much taxes that he gets to keep the same amount of $$$$ that some guy who graduated HS and went straight to work at some factory?

    If he's only doing that job for the cash, then **** him.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •