View Poll Results: Is it unreasonable to pay a little more?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm a greedy bastard!! I need MORE!!!

    28 28.87%
  • No. There's comes a point in wealthiness where it just doesn't even matter anymore.

    61 62.89%
  • I'm not sure.

    8 8.25%
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 809

Thread: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

  1. #681
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    The Truth-O-Meter Says:

    "If you're a … wealthy CEO or a … hedge fund manager in America right now, your taxes are … lower than they've been since the 1950s."
    PolitiFact | Barack Obama says tax rates are lowest since 1950s for CEOs, hedge fund managers
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #682
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The rich pay a far lower percentage of their income in taxes when all taxes are figured in. That means they have less "pain" paying them too.. There is no way out of that.
    You have it good and still whine. What does that make you?
    you are lying again. That has been debunked hundreds of times on this fourm. They pay far more dollars for one dollar of benefit as well
    many of those in the bottom 20% are paying state taxes with money given to them by the federal government

  3. #683
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    so what-"the super rich" but even Buffett pays the top rate on like income

    He also pays far more actual tax dollars-something people like you tend to ignore because that way of evaluating "fairness" destroys your argument

    one equally valid version of fair is paying the same amount for the same services-just like the price of a car, a burger or a movie ticket

  4. #684
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Poll is loaded and stupid.

    Premise is also incorrect; by virtue of what a percentage ****ing is, the wealthy already paid a ****ton more. Our tax system is not fair; this change makes it less fair.

  5. #685
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Yet you are paying far smaller % of you income in taxes now, when you figure them all. Why is that more painful?
    that is irrelevant. what is relevant is I pay far more dollars for each dollar of value received than you do. sitting back and getting a free ride is less painful than working hard and smart to be wealthy enought to have to fund the slackers

  6. #686
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Historically, the wealthy are paying a smaller percentage.
    another falsehood because everyone else is paying a smaller percentage of their income but the wealthy are NOW PAYING a far higher SHARE of the federal tax bill than they did prior to the Bush tax rates and with the current tax rates, the top one percent will be paying an even higher share of the federal taxes

  7. #687
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Poll is loaded and stupid.

    Premise is also incorrect; by virtue of what a percentage ****ing is, the wealthy already paid a ****ton more. Our tax system is not fair; this change makes it less fair.
    "progressive" taxation is one huge component of "fairness". If one is to tax income, flat tax is the only method that any reasonable person could consider fair. However, there IS the rather large issue of "loopholes". Fair tax would not only be flat tax, but it would have NO exceptions for anyone for any reason. About the only thing I could see modifying that would be a basic personal exemption that would keep the genuinely low income earners still off of the (income) tax role.

    Bottom, line, I am sorry to say, is that with fair taxation, wealthy citizens would indeed be paying more tax.

    The real issue, though, is that all of the fiddling with the tax side is simply political gesturing. It is the trillion$$ of entitlement shortfalls that have to be fixed to ever hope to balance the budget, or better yet, BEGIN to service the debt.

    So, with that all said: if you want to impose a larger, fair tax on high income earners, the first bit of tax reform should be the ultimate in fairness: do NOT allow ANY government to spend money it does not have. Several states have balanced budget constitutions, the Republic needs one too. Now THAT would be fair.

  8. #688
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laura80L View Post
    What do the tax rates prior to 1979 tell us? I wasn't born until 1980, and according to the sources, tax rates throughout my lifetime have always been progressive. Whatever happened in 1978 doesn't change the fact that my tax burden was far less painful in 2002 than in 2011. I now have a bigger bill and a higher percentage.

    History is longer than your life:

    This analysis revealed a lot of surprising conclusions, including the following:

    Today's government spending levels are indeed too high, at least relative to the average level of tax revenue the government has generated over the past 60 years. Unless Americans are willing to radically increase the amount of taxes they pay relative to GDP, government spending must be cut.

    Today's income tax rates are strikingly low relative to the rates of the past century, especially for rich people. For most of the century, including some boom times, top-bracket income tax rates were much higher than they are today.

    Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boomed.

    Super-low tax rates on rich people also appear to be correlated with unsustainable sugar highs in the economy--brief, enjoyable booms followed by protracted busts. They also appear to be correlated with very high inequality. (For example, see the 1920s and now).

    Periods of very low tax rates have been followed by periods with very high tax rates, and vice versa. So history suggests that tax rates will soon start going up.


    Read more: THE HISTORY OF TAXES: Here's How High Today's Rates Really Are - Business Insider

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #689
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so what-"the super rich" but even Buffett pays the top rate on like income

    He also pays far more actual tax dollars-something people like you tend to ignore because that way of evaluating "fairness" destroys your argument

    one equally valid version of fair is paying the same amount for the same services-just like the price of a car, a burger or a movie ticket
    I'm a big fellow. I can lift a good two hundred lbs easily in the weight room. The weight needs to be moved. My wife is smaller. Do I expected her to carry it? Or do I realize I'm more capable. We've had a progressive tax as long as we've had taxes. And so has most industrialized countries. Just in the past, the wealthy understood why better.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #690
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    another falsehood because everyone else is paying a smaller percentage of their income but the wealthy are NOW PAYING a far higher SHARE of the federal tax bill than they did prior to the Bush tax rates and with the current tax rates, the top one percent will be paying an even higher share of the federal taxes
    You must consider why. It's not that anyone is picking on the wealthy, but more that the policies that have favor them have led to a greater gap, putting more people below the line. You want to change that share? Start rising all ships with that tide, so to speak.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •