View Poll Results: Is it unreasonable to pay a little more?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm a greedy bastard!! I need MORE!!!

    28 28.87%
  • No. There's comes a point in wealthiness where it just doesn't even matter anymore.

    61 62.89%
  • I'm not sure.

    8 8.25%
Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 809

Thread: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

  1. #401
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Where were you for the Bush tax cuts? The GOP's main argument was that it would help job creators, and repealing them would do the opposite. "Job creator" at this point is also a generic term for "rich guy." And let's not forget the billions of dollars in subsidies oil companies and other big businesses receive. I was involved with the Occupy movement for awhile, so I've heard most arguments about Wall Street and capital gains. Is it a problem? Yes, but its just one (major) face of a multi-faceted issue. Corporate executives benefit from investments and low capital gains taxes, too, but I'm more concerned with how employers' actions affect their employees, at this time. No one wants to believe the elite theory because it screams "conspiracy," so we do what we can. At this point, the best way to curb Wall Street's influence is by repealing Citizens United and reinstating the Glass-Steagall Act.
    I should have given the ONLY conservative thing that BushII ever did a pass (temporarily removing dividend tax), thanks for prompting me. Glass-Steagall needs to be completely re-written to cover the realities of today and given some serious teeth. THAT is the "conflict of interest" to which I was referring in this thread. You are preaching to the choir on that one.

  2. #402
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I know you think that was a profound comparison, but it wasn't. Business leap in with both feet and said please makes me rich.
    On the contrary - businesses were not given a choice, and generally loathed the Roosevelt administration, who had spent a decade accusing them of being the enemy of the nation. There were profits that came out of WWII, mostly because Roosevelt recognized that he had to drop the anti-business class warfare routine if he wanted an effective industrial base. The government absolutely seized control of the means of production. They simply did not seize ownership.

  3. #403
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    On the contrary - businesses were not given a choice, and generally loathed the Roosevelt administration, who had spent a decade accusing them of being the enemy of the nation. There were profits that came out of WWII, mostly because Roosevelt recognized that he had to drop the anti-business class warfare routine if he wanted an effective industrial base. The government absolutely seized control of the means of production. They simply did not seize ownership.
    Yeah, that makes it socialism.

    Sorry, but you guys are working way too hard.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #404
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, that makes it socialism.
    It makes it corporatism, which is the economic model for national socialism.

  5. #405
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It makes it corporatism, which is the economic model for national socialism.
    No. It deals with a state of war, and after making folks rich, we back to essentially what it was.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #406
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. It deals with a state of war, and after making folks rich, we back to essentially what it was.
    and it dealt with that state of war through seizing control of the means of production. After the war we actually took it back to better than it was previously, as Truman was smart enough not to follow his predecessors' lead on having an explicitly anti-business posture and the notion that government spending = jobs.

  7. #407
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. It deals with a state of war, and after making folks rich, we back to essentially what it was.
    Kinda like the peacetime profiteers, who make money of off government spending much in the same fashion. Only difference, is that the peacetime profiteers don't contribute jack**** to the country.

    BTW, where do you work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #408
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    AS A REPUBLICAN I believe in a progressive tax. The logic is sound. Take some burden off the bottom and middle. Now. That isn't the part I disagree with. I disagree with the numbers ($250k as if that number is fantastically high).

    . I also disagree with the constant attack on business. I don't hate it because I am rich. I am not. My father owns a business, my uncle, and my grandfather, and many friends. None of it is a "massive" corporation. Any time they get pressured to have their taxes raised...who do you think that impacts? The people who purchase their products. Seem unfair? Why should they raise their prices when the whole concept of tax the rich is to help the bottom?

    Well you are expecting them to compromise their family security (future) . Ask yourself if you would honestly...do the same? Sure...not being in their shoes it is easy to say that. Now ask yourself what you would do if you made a high wage? You have mobility where many dont. If you can live with less burden financially and more security financially for your family...would you?

    This whole concept of tax the rich ignores mobility and all kinds of important factors. I got an idea though. Close loopholes, cut waste/deadweight, and and encourage business growth.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  9. #409
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    AS A REPUBLICAN I believe in a progressive tax. The logic is sound. Take some burden off the bottom and middle.
    the "logic" of "progressive" income tax is SOUND???? I guess Republicans are anything but conservatives!! It is both a penalty for success and part of a huge impediment to international competitiveness. To relieve the "bottom end" all you need is a significant basic personal exemption (even as a tax credit).

    This whole concept of tax the rich ignores mobility and all kinds of important factors. I got an idea though. Close loopholes, cut waste/deadweight, and and encourage business growth.
    In the short term, closing the loopholes is a good start.

    I believed for years in "one tax, flat tax" as ultimately fair, but the consumption tax crowd have convinced me that taxing income is very, very wrong today. Think of it this way: all of those German and Japanese cars, and the incredible pile of Chinese junk in virtually EVERY retail store get here without paying any of this US income tax - whereas our manufacturers must. Why not let the Chinese pay THEIR fair share to put our manufacturers on a level playing field? How, you ask? Simple: use consumption tax as THE basic form of revenue. Give the bottom end their little credit, but tax EVERYTHING - goods and services - enough to balance the budget and start to service the debt. That way, every Chinese, Korean, Japanese, European or Mexican product is paying the same tax load as every US product. And you get the tax load OFF of US producers and share it equally with everyone selling here. My only exception: keep a big, FAT capital gains tax in place.

    Do that, and you end all of the "tax the rich" nonsense.

  10. #410
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and it dealt with that state of war through seizing control of the means of production. After the war we actually took it back to better than it was previously, as Truman was smart enough not to follow his predecessors' lead on having an explicitly anti-business posture and the notion that government spending = jobs.
    So much for creep.

    CP, this just isn't going to fly in context of the conversation. We were socialist then nor now.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •