View Poll Results: Is it unreasonable to pay a little more?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm a greedy bastard!! I need MORE!!!

    28 28.87%
  • No. There's comes a point in wealthiness where it just doesn't even matter anymore.

    61 62.89%
  • I'm not sure.

    8 8.25%
Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 809

Thread: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

  1. #171
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I note the objections of the wealthy as regards raising taxes. Their share is allegedely disproportionate. My property taxes are over 10% of my income. Then there are sales taxes, telephone taxes, Natural Gas taxes, Electric taxes, and Gasoline taxes. In my world, it looks like about 30% of my income goes to some kind of taxes. Do the rich pay 30%? I wish that they would start paying the same percentage of the gross that I do.
    so you are claiming that 'the wealthy" don't pay property tax or sales tax or telephone taxes or natural gas taxes or electric taxes or gasoline taxes?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so you are claiming that 'the wealthy" don't pay property tax or sales tax or telephone taxes or natural gas taxes or electric taxes or gasoline taxes?
    Another liberal fantasy.

    They also neglect to mention the higher bills that come with heating/cool the mega houses those rich people have. I know quite a few with 5k+ sq ft homes, and I know their gas bills are higher than what I make a month, just keeping those homes warm in the winter.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    If your basis of wanting to raise taxes on people is "people who could afford to pay more", then taxes should go up on everyone. I know people that are dirt-ass poor who still have the newest iPhone or smartphone or random expensive technological equipment. If you can afford a phone that costs several hundred dollars and a phone plan you drop 100 bucks a month on, you can afford more taxes. If not, you'd have a 30 dollar Straight Talk phone from Walmart with just the bare necessities, and pay 30 bucks a month for well more than basic needs in minutes and texts.

    You know that newer car you have (3 years or less)? Ditch that and get a 15 year old used car. 50 inch flat-screen? Bye-bye. Full cable and HBO? Sorry, get used to network TV.

    You can afford to pay more too.

  4. #174
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so you are claiming that 'the wealthy" don't pay property tax or sales tax or telephone taxes or natural gas taxes or electric taxes or gasoline taxes?
    You need to get someone to read to you, because I said no such thing. Perhaps it's just an extreme case of dyslexia. I'm certain it can't be stupidity, but one must be careful not to give such impressions. I just think those wealthy crybabies need to relate to taxes on a proportional basis. The poor are burdened excessively by the current tax system, not the rich. If you want to continue, we can go into forced costs like auto inspections, crap rolling downhill, like auto emission systems, State supported casinos, and other Corporate mandated costs passed along to end users like me and Grandmaw and the dog.

  5. #175
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    You need to get someone to read to you, because I said no such thing. Perhaps it's just an extreme case of dyslexia. I'm certain it can't be stupidity, but one must be careful not to give such impressions. I just think those wealthy crybabies need to relate to taxes on a proportional basis. The poor are burdened excessively by the current tax system, not the rich. If you want to continue, we can go into forced costs like auto inspections, crap rolling downhill, like auto emission systems, State supported casinos, and other Corporate mandated costs passed along to end users like me and Grandmaw and the dog.
    you said you paid 30% gross in taxes and mentioned those specific taxes. you then wished the wealthy would pay the same amount of their gross. this implies that the wealthy do not pay those specific taxes.

    even in your "rebuttal' you bring up forced costs that you and grandma pay...again implying that the wealthy do not also pay those costs.

    how about giving some examples of taxes you pay that the wealthy do not also pay instead?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #176
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you said you paid 30% gross in taxes and mentioned those specific taxes. you then wished the wealthy would pay the same amount of their gross. this implies that the wealthy do not pay those specific taxes.

    even in your "rebuttal' you bring up forced costs that you and grandma pay...again implying that the wealthy do not also pay those costs.

    how about giving some examples of taxes you pay that the wealthy do not also pay instead?
    I pay 30% of my gross income to taxes (maybe more). I suggest the wealthy should pay 30% of their gross income to taxes. I just want them to pay the same percentage as me, nothing more. That would be an equally shared burden and routinely patriotic.

  7. #177
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    It seems the wealthy make more than any other time historically but not everyone else. And the government spends more than any other time historically. And though the gov spends a lot of it on the people that alone should tell you something about where all the monies going? Big companies make too much, gov spends too much and everyone else gets crapped on.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #178
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I pay 30% of my gross income to taxes (maybe more). I suggest the wealthy should pay 30% of their gross income to taxes. I just want them to pay the same percentage as me, nothing more. That would be an equally shared burden and routinely patriotic.
    I call BS on this. Produce the forms that show what you pay. For unless you are rich, or REALLY bad at doing your taxes, there is no way you pay 30% of your gross to taxes. IRS data alone shows that as far as payroll taxes go, the effective rate paid by people goes up as income goes up, and those in the middle class are paying about 7% give or take, once all deduction and such are in. Which would mean you are pay another 23% of your gross on other taxes. Again, pure BS without anything to back it up.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The best way to reduce the deficit is with a strong economy. The economy grows best when we have a strong middle class. If the GOP had stuck with their refusal to extend the middle class tax cuts to protect the tax cuts for the wealthy, we risked another recession.
    And were not risking one now? Big corporations and the very rich love recessions. It makes them stronger. The real big ones gobble up all the smaller ones. Leaving us with the very rich and very poor and no middle class.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: Is it unreasonable for the wealthiest to pay a little more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That's what it took to save the middle class tax cuts from the GOP hostage taking.
    You mean Obama hostage taking. It cuts both ways.

Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •