View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #621
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Unions also ensure the safety of the worker. That is NOT the case with nonunion construction companies. Union job sites have OSHA visiting on a routine basis.
    *ALL* jobsites have OSHA visiting on a routine basis. Unions have nothing to do with it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #622
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    *ALL* jobsites have OSHA visiting on a routine basis. Unions have nothing to do with it.
    That is NOT true. OSHA has TONS of job sites. Union job sites are priority. Union members have to take safety classes and be OSHA certified.

  3. #623
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is NOT true. OSHA has TONS of job sites. Union job sites are priority. Union members have to take safety classes and be OSHA certified.
    That's a sweeping statement that simply is not true, I know people in unions who do not take any classes whatsoever, etc. I checked the OSHA site and it says nothing about union sites being a priority, in fact, the only thing I could find that it said about unions is that the union rep ought to be notified when an OSHA inspector is on site.

    Where do you get this information?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #624
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's a sweeping statement that simply is not true, I know people in unions who do not take any classes whatsoever, etc. I checked the OSHA site and it says nothing about union sites being a priority, in fact, the only thing I could find that it said about unions is that the union rep ought to be notified when an OSHA inspector is on site.

    Where do you get this information?
    And this is from several years ago.

    LHSFNA: OSHA 10-Hour


    In an effort to ensure that proper training is provided in a timely fashion – at least on construction projects financed by the public – LIUNA’s New England Regional Office launched a series of efforts to encourage states in the region to require OSHA 10-hour training on all state projects. After Rhode Island in 2002, Massachusetts (effective July 1, 2006), Connecticut (July 1, 2007) and, this summer, New Hampshire (effective September 14) have enacted the necessary legislation. Also, in its most recent session, New York adopted the OSHA 10-hour requirement, to take effect around the first of next year after the regulatory details are worked out.

  5. #625
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Workers aren't part of the problem. Unions are part of the problem. They reduce growth, kill off businesses, and decrease employment. That's why that graph is one long slide downwards - inefficient means of organization being outcompeted by superior models.
    Get a now line - that one is old and inaccurate.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #626
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I have a 69 Super Bee w/440 and an 09 Challenger SRT8........you?
    72 Road Runner/GTX (for 72-74 the GTX badge only came on the factory 440 Road Runners). There's a pic of it somewhere on this site.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #627
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And this is from several years ago.

    LHSFNA: OSHA 10-Hour


    In an effort to ensure that proper training is provided in a timely fashion – at least on construction projects financed by the public – LIUNA’s New England Regional Office launched a series of efforts to encourage states in the region to require OSHA 10-hour training on all state projects. After Rhode Island in 2002, Massachusetts (effective July 1, 2006), Connecticut (July 1, 2007) and, this summer, New Hampshire (effective September 14) have enacted the necessary legislation. Also, in its most recent session, New York adopted the OSHA 10-hour requirement, to take effect around the first of next year after the regulatory details are worked out.
    So you're only talking about public sector unions in a particular part of the country?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #628
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So you're only talking about public sector unions in a particular part of the country?
    No, the laborers union is not a "public sector" union. They do some local work details and things like that but not governmental employee unions.

    It's the law for laborers and other construction workers to be OSHA certified in most states in New England. I don't know if it is in other parts of the country. Maybe someone more familiar with their region could answer that. However, you cannot deny that union construction sites are safer overall. Of course, I expect nothing but the usual stubborn replies though.

    American Rights at Work - How Unions Make Workplaces Safer

    Unions help to enforce health and safety standards in a number of important ways:


    Unions can gather information about dangerous conditions more effectively than individual workers can. An important study of the role unions play in OSHA standards enforcement found that unionized workers are more likely to know about the health and safety risks in their workplaces than non-unionized workers, since on-the-job risk assessment is a common component of union health and safety programs. Unions are commonly equipped to do this important fact finding or expose a company’s inadequate training system to enforcement agencies.

    Unionized workers can speak out about dangerous conditions collectively, rather than individually, thereby decreasing the risk to an individual employee of being targeted by management as a troublemaker. In addition, the collective voice of the workers in the union carries more strength than that of a lone worker; increasing the likelihood the employer will honor the workers’ request for compliance.

    Where workers are union members, the intensity of an OSHA inspection is increased. Why is this? Although the OSHA law gives every worker the right to accompany an OSHA inspector during a workplace tour, pointing out issues that may easily have been overlooked by the inspector, unionized workers are far more likely to participate in the inspections.1 A safer workplace can result when workers’ rights to actively participate in OSHA inspections are promoted and protected.

  9. #629
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, the laborers union is not a "public sector" union. They do some local work details and things like that but not governmental employee unions.
    I can only go by what you quote and you stated that there were regulations on state projects. That suggests that the regulations do not apply to non-state projects.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #630
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I can only go by what you quote and you stated that there were regulations on state projects. That suggests that the regulations do not apply to non-state projects.
    In LIUNA, ALL members have to be OSHA certified before they are allowed to work on ANY projects.

Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •