View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    OH, anyone knows?
    anyone but you, that is apparent and sad

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    anyone but you, that is apparent and sad
    Totally NOT sad. As a matter of fact, I am extremely happy I'll have you know.

  3. #603
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Totally NOT sad. As a matter of fact, I am extremely happy I'll have you know.
    Most liberals on the government teet are, we are not surprised

  4. #604
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Anyone with any life experience knows that companies are closing and the unions are part of the problem. Sucks to be you.
    I guess my 50+ years doesn't qualify as "life experience" then.


    Ed:
    And I don't get a government check.

    Do you have a mouse in your pocket??? again
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #605
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Most liberals on the government teet are, we are not surprised
    Well I am neither of those things. I am employed, and I'm not even a union member. I only know about them because I dated a guy who was in one, and my uncle is also in one. So go on with your assumptions. It's really quite amusing. I've got to have dinner now, but I'll be back later so you can call me a poopy head or something.

  6. #606
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I guess my 50+ years doesn't qualify as "life experience" then.
    IF you are denying unions are much of the problem, no you don't count

  7. #607
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I am neither of those things. I am employed, and I'm not even a union member. I only know about them because I dated a guy who was in one, and my uncle is also in one. So go on with your assumptions. It's really quite amusing. I've got to have dinner now, but I'll be back later so you can call me a poopy head or something.
    "you dated a guy" Post whatever you want I realize now how much your argument has been about nothing

  8. #608
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    IF you are denying unions are much of the problem, no you don't count
    Why would a union work against it's members' interests to shut down a business, and if they did, why would their members go along with it? Your premise is frankly insane.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #609
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    IF you are denying unions are much of the problem, no you don't count
    Sucks to be you.


    And I bet MY Mopar is bigger than your Mopar!
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #610
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Again you're trying to apply a commodities model to people
    No, I am applying economics to labor. You seem to be unable or unwilling to grasp this basic concept - labor obeys the laws of supply and demand.

    A supply/demand model might work for iron ore and paper but it can't work for people because you can't just park them in a warehouse and shut down production for awhile until the price goes back up.
    Really? Here I thought we had a thing called "Unemployment".

    Unless you're willing to let those idle people die, the supply cannot be adjusted to the demand.
    You seem to be confusing "what we want to have happen" with "what really happens". Just because labor is the thing that most of us sell doesn't mean that there will magically be infinite demand for it at the prices we would prefer.

    As a society we've decided not to let people die
    That is correct - we have a social welfare system. In no way whatsoever does that invalidate the basic point that A) labor obeys the laws of supply and demand and B) workers have the ability to seek better compensation.

    So, what happens then? The people that are still working pay for those people to be idle, which reduces consumer spending and drags the economy further down.
    Wrong. What happens is that the supply of available labor is increased which means that it's price drops, which means that demand (at the lower price) is higher.

    At least, this is what happens until someone (and by someone I mean "government") decides to jack with that process by putting price controls on labor.






    Saw this today and thought it rather apropos for this discussion:


    One in three employees (33 percent) say they plan to look for a new job this year and nearly one in five (18 percent) say they'll be looking in the next three months, according to a new survey by Harris Interactive for job-search site Glassdoor.com.

    Over at Indeed.com, their survey showed the number of employees making a New Year's resolution to get a new job jumped to 38 percent.

    Part of this shot of confidence comes from the early signs of recovery in the job market, like the December jobs report, and part of it comes from the fact that most companies, while more stable than in recent years, are not confident enough to start handing out raises....

    And, of course, the No. 1 reason people cited when it comes to accepting a job offer is money.

    Nearly three out of four (73 percent) cited salary and compensation as their top deciding factor, followed by location/commute (55 percent), career growth opportunities (30 percent) and the amount of work expected (22 percent)...
    Huh. Looks like American workers think that your theory of labor immobility and an inevitable race to the bottom is crap.

Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •