View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    In the real world, ditch diggers should not be paid $30/hour with benefits
    Why not? They work hard and their bodies take a lot of abuse. Are you saying that ditch diggers are NOT important and therefore do not deserve a competitive wage just because they aren't "white collar" workers? REALLY?

  2. #42
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why not? They work hard and their bodies take a lot of abuse. Are you saying that ditch diggers are NOT important and therefore do not deserve a competitive wage just because they aren't "white collar" workers? REALLY?
    There is a rather large group of people who think the janitor down the hall is really useless and doesn't deserve to have healthcare or the ability to not worry how he/she is going to pay the next bill.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why not? They work hard and their bodies take a lot of abuse. Are you saying that ditch diggers are NOT important and therefore do not deserve a competitive wage just because they aren't "white collar" workers? REALLY?
    Yes, if you had any business sense you would as well. Your thinking is why industry is leaving this country. Competitive wage does not mean $30/hour. If ditch digging is the best you can do, then a second job might be in order. I worked two jobs back in the 80's, why shouldn't this ditch digger?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    There is a rather large group of people who think the janitor down the hall is really useless and doesn't deserve to have healthcare or the ability to not worry how he/she is going to pay the next bill.
    I was a janitor while in college, it paid for my tuition and books, no issues.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Yes, if you had any business sense you would as well. Your thinking is why industry is leaving this country. Competitive wage does not mean $30/hour. If ditch digging is the best you can do, then a second job might be in order. I worked two jobs back in the 80's, why shouldn't this ditch digger?
    Obviously you haven't read my posts. I am not a ditch digger. As a matter of fact, I am a medical transcriptionist and not a member of a union at all but I am considered a subcontractor.

    But to get to the point, these workers are imperative to our infrastructure, and yes they are important and worth a good wage.

    Sounds like you have an inflated sense of self importance to me.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I was a janitor while in college, it paid for my tuition and books, no issues.
    I'd like to see you dig ditches for 8 hours a day in 90-degree weather and THEN tell me you aren't worth $27.00 an hour plus benefits.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Obviously you haven't read my posts. I am not a ditch digger. As a matter of fact, I am a medical transcriptionist and not a member of a union at all but I am considered a subcontractor.

    But to get to the point, these workers are imperative to our infrastructure, and yes they are important and worth a good wage.

    Sounds like you have an inflated sense of self importance to me.
    Why would you say that? I have be a laborer and was paid. I lived within my means based on that level of pay. That is life my friend.

  8. #48
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'd like to see you dig ditches for 8 hours a day in 90-degree weather and THEN tell me you aren't worth $27.00 an hour plus benefits.
    Not to mention, do it for 8 hours and then go work another job right after that. Plus, those guys don't work for 8 hours, they work 10-12 - often for no overtime.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'd like to see you dig ditches for 8 hours a day in 90-degree weather and THEN tell me you aren't worth $27.00 an hour plus benefits.
    I labored for a masonary company straight out of high school for less than 1/2 that amount. Leaving the house at 3:30 am and getting home at 7pm on the jobs that were not local.

    12" blocks and bond beams, pouring concrete out of 5 gallon buckets. That job had no benefits, I purchased my own health insurance and got by just fine.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Not to mention, do it for 8 hours and then go work another job right after that. Plus, those guys don't work for 8 hours, they work 10-12 - often for no overtime.
    We have enabled a weak society that is not used to work, evidence posted above.

Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •