View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #221
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Leach off what system? The free market employment system being strong armed by unions?
    The benefits that the unions brought into the profession that non union workers will benefit form or will reduce benefits.

  2. #222
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    The benefits that the unions brought into the profession that non union workers will benefit form or will reduce benefits.
    And that's a reason why everyone should be forced into a union or face unemployment? Unions are a great concept. They are however intended to be voluntary organizations that workers should want to join so that they may have more power to bargain with their employer. Instead what it's become is a corrupt organization that strong arms employees instead of employers. That is the reason why unions have waned so far in this country. Most people look at unions with disgust. Time to ask yourself why.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #223
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    And that's a reason why everyone should be forced into a union or face unemployment? Unions are a great concept. They are however intended to be voluntary organizations that workers should want to join so that they may have more power to bargain with their employer. Instead what it's become is a corrupt organization that strong arms employees instead of employers. That is the reason why unions have waned so far in this country. Most people look at unions with disgust. Time to ask yourself why.
    No that's why if you don't like unions, find something else to do. The entire point of unions is power in numbers, a union has more power to negotiate with a company than a single person. Through collective bargaining unions have gained numerous benefits and they fight to keep those benefits. In a right to work situation the non-unionized workers feed off of the benefits that the unions bargained for, or the employer can now cut benefits and pay because there is no one to stop them.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    There is no such thing as a "union job". A union can not simply take entire control over a company. Any position offered by an employer can be filled by someone who wants to join a union, or doesn't want to join a union.
    Yes, there is such a thing as a "union job" and companies that negotiate with unions can only hire union labor. That is what is meant by a "union job" and a "union company".

  5. #225
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    No, they made it so that individuals who don't join a union but work at union jobs benefit from those that do pay union dues. Those people are called 'free loaders" and they cause resentment from those who fought for the wages and benefits that the freeloaders didn't earn or pay for.
    Now see this here is the delima. I thought that Unions were "For the Working Class!"? If this were actually true then it shouldn't matter whether non-union workers benefit from union negotiated benefits. Unions would want ALL workers to have the benefits that they help provide via negotiation. Not just the ones that pay for it. The fact that you call those people freeloaders however indicates that the Union Mantra of "For the Working Class!" simply isn't true. That all that the Union cares about is lining thier own pockets at the expense of everyone but themselves. Perhaps the Union Mantra should be "Only for the Working Class that Pays Us!"?

    Now here is the other part of the delima. If companies truely want to screw the working people then they would only provide benefits to union members, not non-union members. As such there are no "freeloaders" as non-union members would not be benefiting from all those benefits that Unions go on strike for. Which totally nullifies your arguement about freeloaders.

    So...which is it going to be? Are unions actually "For the Working Class"? In which case you don't care if non-union members get the benefits that Unions negotiate. Or do companies always try and screw over the working class and as such non-union workers don't get the benefits that unions negotiate? You can't have it both ways.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #226
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Unions in the US are largely responsible for helping build a middle class, not to mention safer working conditions. No one forces anyone to join a union. They are free to work wherever they wish.

    My experience has shown that America is strongest when it has a strong working class.
    If people are free to work where they wish as you say then why are companies not free to fire who they wish? You advocate freedom of association for one but deny that same right to the other? Sounds like a double standard to me.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #227
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the only area where I can see unions continuing to exist are areas where foreign competition is not possible such as public service areas: the very areas where unions should not exist

    economic reality is killing unions in manufacturing
    Thanks for expressing the views of the less than one percent of voters that vote libertarian.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #228
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,791

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Thanks for expressing the views of the less than one percent of voters that vote libertarian.
    thanks for being unable to deal with reality but instead think because you don't like a fact you can dismiss it based on such a silly argument

  9. #229
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yet you stated that a very small portion of citizens are in a union. Yet that small portion is responsible for holding up the middle class?

    So you're pro-right to work right? You stated that it should be voluntary to be in a union.

    There is no such thing as a "union job". A union can not simply take entire control over a company. Any position offered by an employer can be filled by someone who wants to join a union, or doesn't want to join a union.
    You missed the post above evidently that documents the decline of unions in the US. You may keep your loyalty to corporations if you wish. Mine remain with the working class. Perhaps it is my German ethnicity that engender my support for unions.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #230
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You missed the post above evidently that documents the decline of unions in the US. You may keep your loyalty to corporations if you wish. Mine remain with the working class. Perhaps it is my German ethnicity that engender my support for unions.
    If your loyalty is actually to the working class then what matter is it if non-union members get the benefits of union negotiated contracts? Why force non-union workers to join a union if they do not wish to?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •