View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I totally agree, the two I belonged to protected the weakest members. Stronger more determined members were forced to carry these people, much like what we see today with the Obama administration.
    My mom worked for Sunbeam Corporation for 30-something years -- union job. The union would rate the different piece-work jobs. You would allowed to make 110% of rate, and then got 110% hourly. If you made any more than 110%? You got a visit and verbal tune-up from the union steward. "Slow down!!!!!!!!! They'll re-rate the job!!!!!" I couldn't have stood it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They were pretty crappy with the union. When I left that job, I got an automatic $50/week raise. That was quite a while ago...when public utilities used the line, "You're working in public service." Ha! I was 18 years old -- I couldn't have cared less about health insurane and retirement plans. Ahhh, youth.
    Chicago is a pretty strong union area isn't it? I guess that big Hostess plant out around Hodgkins/Berwyn closed recently though

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    My mom worked for Sunbeam Corporation for 30-something years -- union job. The union would rate the different piece-work jobs. You would allowed to make 110% of rate, and then got 110% hourly. If you made any more than 110%? You got a visit and verbal tune-up from the union steward. "Slow down!!!!!!!!! They'll re-rate the job!!!!!" I couldn't have stood it.
    I know exactly what you mean, one of my union jobs was a tire plant. Same deal, it was almost like being an irishman in the italian mafia.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I consult users of coal and natural gas on other alternative fuels that could reduce their production cost while helping generators achieve sustainability goals.
    I've never heard of a consultant union let alone one for coal and natural gas. Not saying there isn't one, but there still many holes in your story. Such as when you were a member of a union in the 80s, were you just entering the work force and lacked experience? After 30 years one would hope that you would gain experience and would make more money regardless of a union.

    Unions just set a wage standard for certain skill levels, it doesn't prevent you from making more money or negotiating for a higher salary on your own. In fact, it's encouraged. As you gain more experience and gain more skills and your skills are in demand then it stands to reason that you are going to make more money whether you are union or not. The union dioesn't prevent you from making more money, but it does help prevent you from being exploited and making less money. So your argument against unions holding you back and making less money, just doesn't hold water.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    I am in support of unions (mostly private sector). I think it offers leverage for workers who would otherwise not have any. I have an ex who works for LIUNA (Laborers International Union of North America). He has told me that every job he used to have for non-unionized construction companies in the past were god awful, that they made the guys do dangerous things, that they took many "short-cuts," that their equipment was sub par, that they would try to screw him out of his paychecks, and he would actually sometimes have to hunt down bosses to get paid, and then get treated like CRAP on top of that. That is why he decided to pay the initiation fees and union dues and join the union. The work can be patchy sometimes, but he says that he is treated fairly, has always gotten his paycheck on time, gets regular raises, and the union makes sure that the job sites are safe too.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, one of my union jobs was a tire plant. Same deal, it was almost like being an irishman in the italian mafia.
    So you weren't a consultant when you had a union job, is that right? Looks like your comparing apples to oranges.

    The union jobs that both you and Maggie are describing sound like low level skill jobs that anyone with a HS education or less could do. So lets say if someone on the cup cake factory line had a talent for wrapping cupcakes and went too fast, then the company would expect everyone on the line to have a talent for wrapping cupcakes and work faster than they could realistically handle. But if thats your only talent then be happy you have a job with a higher than minimum wage at all....because minimum wage or less is what the cupcake wrappers would have been making without a union and to my knowledge there aren't too many companies that need cupcake wrappers.

  7. #17
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    I have been in unions off and on since the 80's. Never had much use for them, I like to work always show up and do a good job. I have been in my current union for about 15-18 years and I figured this one probably wasn't worth much either. Then I transferred to what is pretty much my dream job about 5 years ago. Problem my boss is bat **** crazy. The union fights with her so I don't have to. I think that is worth all the union dues I have paid all those years. Sometimes management is nuts. I am really not sure why the union almost literally scares her, it is great.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They were pretty crappy with the union. When I left that job, I got an automatic $50/week raise. That was quite a while ago...when public utilities used the line, "You're working in public service." Ha! I was 18 years old -- I couldn't have cared less about health insurane and retirement plans. Ahhh, youth.
    What did you expect without any experience or job skills? Seems like the phone company is the place to go, especially for women who lack job experience and skills. I even applied there myself once. lol I worked a lot of odd jobs in factories, restaurants, and retail stores and none of them were union and the companies all expected more work than what they paid. That's why I decided it was time to get an education and find work that I would enjoy doing and paid better....and that led me to a union job where I ended up making six figure salary with a pension and health benefits. So I ain't complaing about unions...no siree.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    I belonged to one for about 8 years, and not have been in one now for about 10 years.

    While part of the union, (UFCW) I know that I was getting paid more then directly comparable jobs in a non union company. The pay was good, but it was never going to improve from what I was getting when I quit, and I believe it has gone down since then. Generally because competition from non union companies that have expanded into the area requiring the company to drop wages to remain competitive. The non union companies still pay less then the company I worked for does now
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I've never heard of a consultant union let alone one for coal and natural gas. Not saying there isn't one, but there still many holes in your story. Such as when you were a member of a union in the 80s, were you just entering the work force and lacked experience? After 30 years one would hope that you would gain experience and would make more money regardless of a union.

    Unions just set a wage standard for certain skill levels, it doesn't prevent you from making more money or negotiating for a higher salary on your own. In fact, it's encouraged. As you gain more experience and gain more skills and your skills are in demand then it stands to reason that you are going to make more money whether you are union or not. The union dioesn't prevent you from making more money, but it does help prevent you from being exploited and making less money. So your argument against unions holding you back and making less money, just doesn't hold water.
    Honey, please read my original post, I haven't been in a union since the early 80's. Union are for poor performers, people that want a pass.

Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •