View Poll Results: How many here belong to a union?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have worked my whole career while in a union

    9 10.98%
  • I belong to one currently

    15 18.29%
  • I have never and would never join one

    34 41.46%
  • I used to be in one but not now

    24 29.27%
Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 773

Thread: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    I did not know the Obama Administration was union. I was a member of a construction local the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Millwrights and a member of the United Chemical Workers of America I was also a plant maintenance superintendent for 25 years.There are good and bad in both union and non union workers. It's up to those in charge to make sure that any employee earns their pay. Skilled craftsmen and women are worth every penny they make, they spend four years going through apprenticeship school to earn their book and learn their trade.

    The republicans are working hard to destroy the unions because they are afraid of organized workers, the old divided we fall united we stand, the republicans want to be in control so they break up the unions. Unions built this country, provided a safer work place, better working conditions, and a fair rate of pay for the membership
    And now they are tearing the country apart making uncompetitive in a world market.

  2. #182
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Typical management whine you fail to be able to motivate your work force and blame it on the worker

    So before automation they where needed and it was not a scam is that what you are saying?

    So management negotiated a contract that allows workers to stand around and you place the blame on the worker?

    So again you are blaming the workers for a contract that management agreed to? If I paid someone 200k a year they would have to be earning it. Do you sit in on contract negotiations?
    Funny how you keep throwing out about agreements to contracts and all. Considering how those contracts are made. If the union doesn't get what they want then they strike. Which costs companies money. I would bet that 99.99% of the time most contracts made with unions are only done so as to avoid loss of money and not out of any negotiating skill on the part of the Unions. And then you turn around and say that the reason those companies fail is due to poor management decisions. Totally ignoring the fact that those companies are forced into a contract with unions.

    Let me ask you a question...what happens to a company that refuses to sign a contract with a Union?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #183
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    And now they are tearing the country apart making uncompetitive in a world market.
    You are right it's the unions tearing the country apart, it's the unions making it difficult for American companies to compete it's not the 75 cents per hour foreign worker wages that make it hard for American workers to compete.

  4. #184
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Funny how you keep throwing out about agreements to contracts and all. Considering how those contracts are made. If the union doesn't get what they want then they strike. Which costs companies money. I would bet that 99.99% of the time most contracts made with unions are only done so as to avoid loss of money and not out of any negotiating skill on the part of the Unions. And then you turn around and say that the reason those companies fail is due to poor management decisions. Totally ignoring the fact that those companies are forced into a contract with unions.

    Let me ask you a question...what happens to a company that refuses to sign a contract with a Union?
    Let me ask you a question... what happens to a company that agrees to sign a contract that renders it incapable of remaining competitive in the market place

  5. #185
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Union labor is in decline and income gap is widening. Anyone think that is a coincidence?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #186
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    So before automation they where needed and it was not a scam is that what you are saying?
    No, before automation, they needed more people. In any rational system, the people who were no longer needed would either be trained for another position or let go. Because of union contracts, which stipulate how many people must be employed for that position whether they are needed or not, now you have half of the crew being paid for doing nothing because the shop cannot operate without as many people stipulated in the contract and the union refuses to allow the contract to be revised.

    So management negotiated a contract that allows workers to stand around and you place the blame on the worker?
    No, the union did. They are mostly concerned about having the most people employed as possible so they get all those dues.

    So again you are blaming the workers for a contract that management agreed to? If I paid someone 200k a year they would have to be earning it. Do you sit in on contract negotiations?
    Nope, neither did you. However, the office worker union got their big brothers, the dockworkers, to refuse to cross the picket lines, thus shutting down the whole of the Los Angeles and Long Beach ports until management capitulated on every point the union wanted. They could lose millions of dollars in revenue a day or pay up the extortion money.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #187
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Let me ask you a question... what happens to a company that agrees to sign a contract that renders it incapable of remaining competitive in the market place
    Answer my question first.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #188
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Union labor is in decline and income gap is widening. Anyone think that is a coincidence?
    If most unions weren't corrupt and damaging to the company, more people would want to be in one. Nobody is stopping anybody from forming or being in a union. It just so turns out that to most people the alternative is better. Sounds like the union's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #189
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I've never heard of a consultant union let alone one for coal and natural gas. Not saying there isn't one, but there still many holes in your story. Such as when you were a member of a union in the 80s, were you just entering the work force and lacked experience? After 30 years one would hope that you would gain experience and would make more money regardless of a union.

    Unions just set a wage standard for certain skill levels, it doesn't prevent you from making more money or negotiating for a higher salary on your own. In fact, it's encouraged. As you gain more experience and gain more skills and your skills are in demand then it stands to reason that you are going to make more money whether you are union or not. The union dioesn't prevent you from making more money, but it does help prevent you from being exploited and making less money. So your argument against unions holding you back and making less money, just doesn't hold water.
    You're going off the basis of the theoretical function of a union. I agree with the theoretical function, I think it's a great idea for workers to voluntarily band together to negotiate better working conditions and wages. However, most people end up finding out that it's more of a pain to be in the union, and the minor benefits don't outweigh the costs.

    If the unions want to remain a part of our society, sounds like they should get their **** together.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,870

    Re: How many here belong a union in the public or private sector? Why? or Why not?

    I work for the Government as a critical care paramedic and joined a Health Services Union 4 years ago. They have been reasonably successful in ensuring that the Government cutbacks on spending do not significantly impact the delivery of quality health services that i am employed to maintain.

    Just to name one thing that we have utilised their services for.......Without them, acceptable response times would have risen a number of minutes for a category 1 patient which can mean the difference between life and death. Rather pointless to have the ability/equipment to offer significant life saving treatment at people's homes if we are not able to get there to do it.

    That's just one of quite a few examples.
    Last edited by Serenity; 12-31-12 at 08:05 AM.

Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •