View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #651
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Correct on both counts. Marriage, and all the benefits provided by the Federal government, isn't a right. You are free to hate anyone you like.

    However, what the State and the Feds can't do is violate the Constitution. In this case, the 14th Amendment equal protection clause. There are 1,138 benefits granted to straight married couples. For the Feds or the State to grant special status for whites, blacks, straights, gays or any other subgroup and deny other Americans the same status is a violation of the Constitution's 14th Amendment. The choice is clear; either grant those benefits to everyone or no one. Which do you prefer?
    agreed, but "everyone" must include "EVERYONE". you don't get to pick and choose which subgroups "deserve" rights and which don't
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #652
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    agreed, but "everyone" must include "EVERYONE". you don't get to pick and choose which subgroups "deserve" rights and which don't
    Agreed. If laws are created to let two consenting adults marry and derive tax and legal benefits, then those laws must apply to all consenting adults.

  3. #653
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    So Affirmative Action violates the 14th Amendment in your reasoning? You may want to rethink the whole "equal protection" argument IMHO (perhaps because it may be a 9th Amendment issue or even a substantive due process issues but I do not recall a case where equal protection was used in the way you seem to think it is)
    I think so. That is only one reason why I disagree with AA.

  4. #654
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Pedophiles come in many colors, some like boys some like girls and some like both.
    Thats what I just said.

  5. #655
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Correct on both counts. Marriage, and all the benefits provided by the Federal government, isn't a right. You are free to hate anyone you like.

    However, what the State and the Feds can't do is violate the Constitution. In this case, the 14th Amendment equal protection clause. There are 1,138 benefits granted to straight married couples. For the Feds or the State to grant special status for whites, blacks, straights, gays or any other subgroup and deny other Americans the same status is a violation of the Constitution's 14th Amendment. The choice is clear; either grant those benefits to everyone or no one. Which do you prefer?
    Marriage is a right as defined by the courts of this country. See: Loving v Virginia.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #656
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    agreed, but "everyone" must include "EVERYONE". you don't get to pick and choose which subgroups "deserve" rights and which don't
    Our court system and our society both disagree with you. In point of fact we do deny rights to people, and legally and ethically. You don't get to tell us we cannot do that. As long as the system is consistent and logical, it is in fact entirely appropriate to do so.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #657
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I think what you were trying to say is that pedophiles are pedophiles not homosexuals. That being said though if you look online there is a good deal of porn that caters to men who like boys. And one could dig up plenty of pedophile men that assaulted boys. Which the anti-gay league has been exploiting the reality of these type of pedophiles for years as why they oppose homosexuality. But they leave out the fact that an equal amount of pedophiles assault girls as well. It is a very dishonest tactic because pedophiles are not after sex they are attacking their victims for other reasons. Many cases of pedophile attacks on children did not even involve any sexual abuse at all.
    Pedophiles are people who are sexually attracted to children. Most pedophiles(by a large margin) are primarily attracted to the opposite sex when it comes to adult relations. In other words, their "orientation" is heterosexual, not homosexual.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #658
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Only because its against the law. NAMBLA is all for it

    Baloney. Sodomy laws are no longer needed as our gene pools are now so diluted theres very little chance of abnormalities.

    In the old days yes.
    NAMBLA has nothing to do with gays. It has to do with pedophiles.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #659
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Marriage is a right as defined by the courts of this country. See: Loving v Virginia.
    Something, I'm sure, which will be brought up again at SCOTUS.

    Chief Justice Earl Warren's opinion for the unanimous court held that:

    Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

  10. #660
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Pedophiles are people who are sexually attracted to children. Most pedophiles(by a large margin) are primarily attracted to the opposite sex when it comes to adult relations. In other words, their "orientation" is heterosexual, not homosexual.
    It would be logical that there are more cases of pedophile attacks from heterosexuals considering that there are more heterosexuals than homosexuals.

    The proportions of heterosexual and homos... [J Sex Marital Ther. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

    Abstract
    Previous investigations have indicated that the ratio of sex offenders against female children vs. offenders against male children is approximately 2:1, while the ratio of gynephiles to androphiles among the general population is approximately 20:1. The present study investigated whether the etiology of preferred partner sex among pedophiles is related to the etiology of preferred partner sex among males preferring adult partners. Using phallometric test sensitivities to calculate the proportion of true pedophiles among various groups of sex offenders against children, and taking into consideration previously reported mean numbers of victims per offender group, the ratio of heterosexual to homosexual pedophiles was calculated to be approximately 11:1. This suggests that the resulting proportion of true pedophiles among persons with a homosexual erotic development is greater than that in persons who develop heterosexually. This, of course, would not indicate that androphilic males have a greater propensity to offend against children.

Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •