View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #641
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I think what you were trying to say is that pedophiles are pedophiles not homosexuals. That being said though if you look online there is a good deal of porn that caters to men who like boys. And one could dig up plenty of pedophile men that assaulted boys. Which the anti-gay league has been exploiting the reality of these type of pedophiles for years as why they oppose homosexuality. But they leave out the fact that an equal amount of pedophiles assault girls as well. It is a very dishonest tactic because pedophiles are not after sex they are attacking their victims for other reasons. Many cases of pedophile attacks on children did not even involve any sexual abuse at all.

    Pedophiles come in many colors, some like boys some like girls and some like both.

  2. #642
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Pedophiles come in many colors, some like boys some like girls and some like both.
    Which has nothing to do with their sexuality, what gender of adult a pedophile would be in an adult relationship with. Which is why it is stupid to try to link homosexuality and pedophilia because one has nothing to do with the other.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #643
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which has nothing to do with their sexuality, what gender of adult a pedophile would be in an adult relationship with. Which is why it is stupid to try to link homosexuality and pedophilia because one has nothing to do with the other.
    People often see the two as interconnected. It appears that there are a lot of pedophiles that like young boys, more than would be random.

    The ban on homosexual research needs to be lifted. It's been in place since 1973 when the homosexual lobby pressured the American Psychological Association to remove Homosexuality from the "Mental Illness" category in their diagnostic manual. Since that time, all research of homosexuality has been pro-homosexual, to the extent that it has entered the junk science category. Valid researchers know that researching the homosexual pathology would be akin to comparing black IQs to others, they would be fired and discredited immediately.

    To even mention such things, one risks being attacked, labeled and called names. This reaction in itself, to a call for valid research, is very strange and weird.

  4. #644
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    fundamentally, I believe people are against incest marriage because they think it's icky. which is not a valid reason to deny rights. as far as Hugh Hefner marrying a 30 y/o being way more icky than two lesbian...I guess that is a matter of personal preference.

    some people think old dudes marrying young women is icky, some people think two dudes bumping uglies is icky, some people think incest is icky.

    just because you think something is icky, doesn't make it a valid reason to deny them rights.
    The majority of people I know of are against incest marriage because we have a biological imperative to not be in intimate relationships with people we are raised with. But we are also able to articulate specific state interests being met in not allowing incest marriages, particularly between those who are raised together. It is called "undue influence". As of right now, we have found that the vast majority of cases of incest involve the older relative coaxing if not completely initiating the relationship into being starting at a young age. This is not a healthy relationship.

    Now, this is where we should definitely give some exceptions to the rule though. If two people meet after they reach at earliest adolescence (for those around the same age) and want to be in a relationship, it should not be wrong for us to consider making an exception for such situations. Genetic counseling should still be given though to those couples who may be allowed. And it would be placed on them to show that they weren't raised together.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #645
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    People often see the two as interconnected. It appears that there are a lot of pedophiles that like young boys, more than would be random.

    The ban on homosexual research needs to be lifted. It's been in place since 1973 when the homosexual lobby pressured the American Psychological Association to remove Homosexuality from the "Mental Illness" category in their diagnostic manual. Since that time, all research of homosexuality had been pro-homosexual, to the extent that it has entered the BS category. Valid researchers know that researching the homosexual pathology would be akin to comparing black IQs to others, they would be fired and discredited immediately.
    And what sex/gender the child is still that a pedophile molested still has nothing to do with what the adult's sexuality is. We have plenty of research that shows this already. The vast majority of pedophiles actually have no adult sexuality or they are asexual, as far as adult relationships are concerned. Those that can be shown to have or have had healthy adult relationships have the same distribution of heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual found in society. The gender of the child has no place in considering what the sexuality of the person is.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #646
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The majority of people I know of are against incest marriage because we have a biological imperative to not be in intimate relationships with people we are raised with. But we are also able to articulate specific state interests being met in not allowing incest marriages, particularly between those who are raised together. It is called "undue influence". As of right now, we have found that the vast majority of cases of incest involve the older relative coaxing if not completely initiating the relationship into being starting at a young age. This is not a healthy relationship.

    Now, this is where we should definitely give some exceptions to the rule though. If two people meet after they reach at earliest adolescence (for those around the same age) and want to be in a relationship, it should not be wrong for us to consider making an exception for such situations. Genetic counseling should still be given though to those couples who may be allowed. And it would be placed on them to show that they weren't raised together.
    finally a voice of reason.

    Genetic sexual attraction (GSA) is a term that describes the phenomenon of sexual attraction between close relatives, such as siblings or half-siblings, a parent and offspring, or first and second cousins, who first meet as adults.[1]

    Contributing factorsSeveral factors may contribute to GSA. People commonly rank faces similar to their own as more attractive, trustworthy, etc. than average. [4] Heredity produces substantial physical similarity between close relatives. However, Bereczkei (2004) attributes this in part to childhood imprinting on the opposite-sex parent. Shared interests and personality traits are commonly considered desirable in a mate. The heritability of these qualities is a matter of great debate; to whatever extent they are heritable, they will tend to cluster in close relatives. In cases of parent-child attraction, the parent may recognize traits of their own in the child and ultimately end up mating with them. Such reunions typically produce complex emotions in all involved.[5]

    [edit] InstancesA brother and sister couple in Germany, the StŁbings, fought their country's anti-incest laws. They grew up separately, met as adults, and have had four children. Their appeal was rejected in 2008, upholding Germany's anti-incest laws.[6][7]

    Kathryn Harrison published a memoir in the 1990s regarding her four-year incestuous relationship with her biological father, whom she had not seen for almost 20 years prior to beginning the relationship, titled The Kiss.[8]

    A couple in South Africa who had been together for five years and are expecting a child discovered that they are brother and sister just before their wedding. They were raised up separately and met as adults in college.[9]

    Garry Ryan at 18 left his pregnant girlfriend and he moved to America. The daughter, Penny Lawrence, grew up and later set out to find her missing father. When they met, they "both felt an immediate sexual attraction". They then lived together as a couple and as of April 2012 were expecting their first child together. [10]

    In August 2012, a 32-year-old father and his 18-year-old daughter were convicted of incest after they admitted to having an incestuous relationship which began in August 2010 when the girl was 16. The incest continued until May 2012 and resulted in the couple having a daughter, who was born in 2011. The teen, who was conceived in an incestuous relationship between the male offender and his 30-year-old foster mother, told the court she was in love with her father and that they had been living as 'husband and wife' after meeting each other in 2010.[11]
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #647
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Pssst animals cant sign either. And being 1 man and one woman is also a requirement in most states.
    Yeah I know animals cant sign contracts. Thats why a human cant marry an animal.

    You are right that in most states having one man and one woman is a requirement. Doesnt mean that the requirement is constitutional or does it mean that it isnt discrimination. There are good reasons to have both parties consent to entering a contract but there are no good reasons for having only opposite sex couples be able to enter that contract.

  8. #648
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    People often see the two as interconnected. It appears that there are a lot of pedophiles that like young boys, more than would be random.

    The ban on homosexual research needs to be lifted. It's been in place since 1973 when the homosexual lobby pressured the American Psychological Association to remove Homosexuality from the "Mental Illness" category in their diagnostic manual. Since that time, all research of homosexuality has been pro-homosexual, to the extent that it has entered the junk science category. Valid researchers know that researching the homosexual pathology would be akin to comparing black IQs to others, they would be fired and discredited immediately.

    To even mention such things, one risks being attacked, labeled and called names. This reaction in itself, to a call for valid research, is very strange and weird.
    There is no ban on researching homosexuality. And your wrong when you say the homosexual lobby pressured the APA to remove homosexuality from the mental illness catagory. They pressured to APA to look at a study that suggested homosexuality is not a mental illness and after 8 years they finally did. So it was removed because of new studies not because some pro-homosexual agenda. Its ridiculous to think that a small minority of people managed to force the APA to do anything especially when at the time the vast majority of people didnt accept homosexuality. So please enough with that stupid conspiracy theory.

  9. #649
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    One more time there is no right to state marriage. Its a privilege

    So we shouldnt be prejudiced? If so we have mayhem and anarchy
    Correct on both counts. Marriage, and all the benefits provided by the Federal government, isn't a right. You are free to hate anyone you like.

    However, what the State and the Feds can't do is violate the Constitution. In this case, the 14th Amendment equal protection clause. There are 1,138 benefits granted to straight married couples. For the Feds or the State to grant special status for whites, blacks, straights, gays or any other subgroup and deny other Americans the same status is a violation of the Constitution's 14th Amendment. The choice is clear; either grant those benefits to everyone or no one. Which do you prefer?

  10. #650
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Correct on both counts. Marriage, and all the benefits provided by the Federal government, isn't a right. You are free to hate anyone you like.

    However, what the State and the Feds can't do is violate the Constitution. In this case, the 14th Amendment equal protection clause. There are 1,138 benefits granted to straight married couples. For the Feds or the State to grant special status for whites, blacks, straights, gays or any other subgroup and deny other Americans the same status is a violation of the Constitution's 14th Amendment. The choice is clear; either grant those benefits to everyone or no one. Which do you prefer?
    So Affirmative Action violates the 14th Amendment in your reasoning? You may want to rethink the whole "equal protection" argument IMHO (perhaps because it may be a 9th Amendment issue or even a substantive due process issues but I do not recall a case where equal protection was used in the way you seem to think it is)

Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •