View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #601
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so all consenting adults of age should be able to get married?
    Sure. As long as that marriage is entirely outside of the scope of government.

    Heck, if you want to marry your cat in a religious ceremony that grants no right at all to anyone, have at it. If you want to marry a hundred people in a similar handfasting ceremony that is only recognized by your drinking buddies, by all means.

    Government should change marriage to a secular civil agreement between two unrelated, of age consenting people.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Sure. As long as that marriage is entirely outside of the scope of government.

    Heck, if you want to marry your cat in a religious ceremony that grants no right at all to anyone, have at it. If you want to marry a hundred people in a similar handfasting ceremony that is only recognized by your drinking buddies, by all means.

    Government should change marriage to a secular civil agreement between two unrelated, of age consenting people.
    That pretty much sums up my view on the topic.

  3. #603
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Sure. As long as that marriage is entirely outside of the scope of government.

    Heck, if you want to marry your cat in a religious ceremony that grants no right at all to anyone, have at it. If you want to marry a hundred people in a similar handfasting ceremony that is only recognized by your drinking buddies, by all means.

    Government should change marriage to a secular civil agreement between two unrelated, of age consenting people.
    why limit it to two unrelated people? why can't 3 consenting people get married? why can't two related people get married? (FWIW there are already 7 states that allow first cousin marriage). why can't a gay dude marry his brother?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #604
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Oh wait, you are right. He is not a nobody, he is a Greek fasist politician. I am still as credible as him.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #605
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why limit it to two unrelated people? why can't 3 consenting people get married?
    Because polygamy has a long history of massive human right abuses from Mormons to Islamic.

    why can't two related people get married?
    Because genetic inbreeding causes problems down the line. I suppose if you're gay, that's fine to marry a related person. But considering how technology is advancing, it may be possible to recombine the DNA from two women into a single embyro. Last I checked, sperm carries far fewer genes and doesn't code for many vital processes. I'd be okay with letting two gay males who are related marry.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #606
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why limit it to two unrelated people? why can't 3 consenting people get married? why can't two related people get married? (FWIW there are already 7 states that allow first cousin marriage). why can't a gay dude marry his brother?
    If 3 people can make a legal case that the state does not have a rational reason to keep them from marrying, then they will be able to. Likewise related people. Note that the arguments in court will be different than for SSM. That is because, surprise, SSM is not polygamy nor incest, no matter how hard you try and make them the same.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #607
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because polygamy has a long history of massive human right abuses from Mormons to Islamic.
    and gays have a long history of abusing young boys in truckstop restroom



    Because genetic inbreeding causes problems down the line. I suppose if you're gay, that's fine to marry a related person. But considering how technology is advancing, it may be possible to recombine the DNA from two women into a single embyro. Last I checked, sperm carries far fewer genes and doesn't code for many vital processes. I'd be okay with letting two gay males who are related marry.
    why can't two related people get married and have kids the same way gay couples have kids? that would get rid of your inbreeding complaint. (and FWIW, there are countless genetic defects that can be passed along from non-related parents and no one is suggesting that we keep them from getting married) IMHO, the inbreeding angle is just an excuse to keep from admitting an "ick" factor basis for arguing against relative marriages. and, for the most part, inbreeding only becomes a problem if it is continued for successive generations. being a country boy, i have seen dozens of animals procreate with siblings and parents without giving birth to tarded litters.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #608
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If 3 people can make a legal case that the state does not have a rational reason to keep them from marrying, then they will be able to. Likewise related people. Note that the arguments in court will be different than for SSM. That is because, surprise, SSM is not polygamy nor incest, no matter how hard you try and make them the same.
    boo dee hoo. no one is saying they are the same thing. but nice strawman. maybe you can take lessons from the little pig and build a straw house the next time.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #609
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oh wait, you are right. He is not a nobody, he is a Greek fasist politician. I am still as credible as him.
    Sure you are
    . Plato is quoted as commenting:

    Homosexuality is regarded as shameful by barbarians and by those who live under despotic governments just as philosophy is regarded as shameful by them, because it is apparently not in the interest of such rulers to have great ideas engendered in their subjects, or powerful friendships or passionate love-all of which homosexuality is particularly apt to produce. {4}

    Given that only free adult men had full social status, women and male slaves were not problematic sexual partners. Sex between freemen, however, was problematic for status. The central distinction in ancient Greek sexual relations was between taking an active or insertive role, versus a passive or penetrated one. The passive role was acceptable only for inferiors, such as women, slaves, or male youths who were not yet citizens. Terms for the passive role were muliebria pati, "to submit to what is done to women" and aselgainein, "to defile oneself." The active role in Greek was hubrizein, "to exert force upon another." {12
    Laws against homosexual and pederastic relations ę homosexuality-ancient-greece.wordpress.com

  10. #610
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    boo dee hoo. no one is saying they are the same thing. but nice strawman. maybe you can take lessons from the little pig and build a straw house the next time.
    Way to avoid the argument. Your arguments have failed so many times, I can understand desperately avoiding defending them though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •