View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #561
    Advisor gmeyers1944's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westfield,NY (on Lake Erie)
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    The link speaks about homosexual activity being a sin so would a chaste same sex marriage be acceptable?
    Marriage MEANS the union of 1 man with 1 woman. Changing the dictionary definition does NOT COUNT. A chaste same sex marriage is theoretically possible but highly unlikely.

  2. #562
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    No the Catholic church does not. Its a reason for annulment. The purpose of marriage in the catholic church is to perpetuate more Catholics

    And you were speaking of sin. i dont think the government recognizes those as legal precedent.
    I thought so too but just googling around I found a fair number of catholic websites that point blank stated marriages do not need to be consummated - the phrase they used was "unconsummated but valid" As an example if the bride or groom dies after the conclusion of the ceremony but before consummation in the eyes of the church they were married.

    Actually that makes me wonder about civil marriages. In New York State a marriage license is required to have a wedding ceremony, whether civil or religious. The ceremony is required, just getting the license isn't enough. So I wonder if the groom dies immediately after the ceremony are they treated as married for purposes of inheritance, insurance etc.

  3. #563
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by gmeyers1944 View Post
    Marriage MEANS the union of 1 man with 1 woman. Changing the dictionary definition does NOT COUNT. A chaste same sex marriage is theoretically possible but highly unlikely.
    But that isn't what your original post stated. If you wish to state this position, that's fine. But it wasn't your original argument.

    Why would a chaste same-sex marriage be any more unlikely than a chaste non-same-sex marriage? And in truth for my argument to be valid it only needs to be possible.

  4. #564
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I thought so too but just googling around I found a fair number of catholic websites that point blank stated marriages do not need to be consummated - the phrase they used was "unconsummated but valid" As an example if the bride or groom dies after the conclusion of the ceremony but before consummation in the eyes of the church they were married.

    Actually that makes me wonder about civil marriages. In New York State a marriage license is required to have a wedding ceremony, whether civil or religious. The ceremony is required, just getting the license isn't enough. So I wonder if the groom dies immediately after the ceremony are they treated as married for purposes of inheritance, insurance etc.
    Well if neither complains who will ever know? It is still one of the very few grounds for anulment

  5. #565
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    But that isn't what your original post stated. If you wish to state this position, that's fine. But it wasn't your original argument.

    Why would a chaste same-sex marriage be any more unlikely than a chaste non-same-sex marriage? And in truth for my argument to be valid it only needs to be possible.
    I venture you would find very few of either. But if anyone cannot recognize that two men are prone to having far more sex than a man and women is just kidding themselves. Most hetro sexuals get married incase they have kids or because they want to have them. This isnt the case with homosexuals as they cannot produce children through their union. Besides gay marriage is an oximoron

  6. #566
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    If you do not like same sex marriage then dont marry someone of the same sex. What gives you the right to tell other adults what liberties or freedoms they can enjoy are you guys wannabe dictators or some ****?

    Anti-same sex marriage = pro-dictatorship.

  7. #567
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    as I have said multiple times...it's not about having the rights...it's about having the name and the societal acceptance than comes with it.

    changing the word will not cost any more money than rewriting the existing laws to include gay couples. that is a weak argument
    You're wrong Oscar, changing the word would cost more than allowing same sex couples to enter. Both would have to be done.

    The only laws that need be "rewritten" to allow same sex couples to marry are the laws that now prevent same sex couples from getting married. The actual way marriage works is gender neutral. Nothing needs to be changed.

    But both changing those laws and changing all the wording in every piece of paperwork pertaining to marriage the government has would need to be changed for the proposal to change the word marriage to something else. Major change, would take money to enact.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #568
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by gmeyers1944 View Post
    Marriage MEANS the union of 1 man with 1 woman. Changing the dictionary definition does NOT COUNT. A chaste same sex marriage is theoretically possible but highly unlikely.
    So you personally know the lives of every single gay couple that ever existed and know that they never remained chaste? I highly doubt it.

    But it isn't any of your business what others do or don't do sexually in their marriages. There are plenty of people, particularly Catholics, who find remarrying after divorce "living in sin" and wrong. People are still legally able to do it and there is nothing you nor anyone else can do about it.

    Religion has no place in the legal marriage issue.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 01-03-13 at 04:54 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #569
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Im shocked that so many find this an equal rights issue. There is no right to marriage. This is about gaining benefits not rights. And you can marry anyone you like . Having the government acknowledge it is another matter. I say get the government out of the marriage business.
    There is a right to marriage according to the SCOTUS.

    The government is not going to get out of the marriage business as long as the people want the government to recognize legal family and the government is in charge of the court system that would deal with divorce.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #570
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So you personally know the lives of every single gay couple that ever existed and know that they never remained faithful? I highly doubt it.
    You can bet its close to non existent.

    Men are horney and will screw almost anything they find appealing and even some they dont. Now you get two or men together who find men attractive and what do you think happens? Theres a reason every nation in history until recently has frowned on homosexuality in general. Theres also a reason most encouraged marriage and love had nothing to do with it.

Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •