View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #541
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,353
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    If you're referring to the Defense of Marriage Act, section 3 which defines marriage has been held unconstitutional 6 or 8 times in the last few years and the current Executive, recognizing its likely unconstitutionality, is refusing to enforce it.

    I'm guessing the odds are good the Supreme Court will find likewise when they take up the issue this spring.
    The bolded part is not true. The law is still enforced, but the executive is not defending it in court.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #542
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    CUrious, What form of "communism" as Redress displayed. Links? Examples? Facts?
    communism, as defined by partisans, to mean anything they don't like.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #543
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Legal marriage is between a man and a woman. This also coincides with the Bible.

    Sorry, you are wrong again, as usual.
    Wrong

    Legal marriage is a three way contract between two consenting adult parties who are unrelated and their respective governments.

    You can get married as of age unrelated male and female, have a sex change and have a marriage between two people of the same gender. That alone invalidates your claim that marriage is male and female only.

    Furthermore, just because the Bible says so is irrelevant. Slavery was condoned in the Bible. Do I need to say anything more?

    Sorry, you are wrong again, as usual.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #544
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    FACT. The legal definition of marriage coincides with the Bible, which means it coincides with the will of God. Kudos to the definers for getting it right.
    Since when? Biblical marriage dictates that the woman submit to the man, otherwise give up all authority and decision making. Legal marriage has absolutely nothing of that sort.

    Biblical marriage has no incorporation of the secular state. Without a state license of marriage, you are not married. Legal marriage requires that the two consenting, of age, and unrelated parties sign a legal document. After that, you're married. There is no ceremony to be legally married. And don't even bring up Romans 13:1-2. You know full well that's talking about God's Authority and only God's Authority.

    The legal definition of marriage hardly even gels with the Bible.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #545
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    I'm one of those who pisses off supporters of "traditional" marriage and SSM at the same time. I'm for both and have been since the early 90's. If the religious folk want a separate meaning assigned to their traditional marriage, but are willing to recognize secular unions as being essentially the same thing as traditional marriage and that those entered into it are granted the same "rights", well we could be done with this debate. IMO those opposed to recognizing unions between SS couples are just resisting the inevitable.

  6. #546
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Then please share your hypothesis for why HIV in gays is at an all time high.
    Sorry friend you've made the claim - specifically that there has been an increase in HIV in homosexual men which is attributable to societal acceptable of homosexuality - so the burden of proof lies with you.
    Last edited by Gaius46; 01-03-13 at 09:58 AM.

  7. #547
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Sorry friend you've made the claim - specifically that there has been an increase in HIV in homosexual men which is attributable to societal acceptable of homosexuality - so the burden of proof lies with you.
    Claim? In my last post, I asked you a simple question. Do you know the meaning of the word hypothesis? I don't know where you got this "burden of proof" crap, because all I asked for was your educated guess. I posted a link to statistics that showed gay men are 50 times more likely for HIV and it's at an all-time high, so the issue with gay sex has been well demonstrated. You immediately cried "Ludicrous" at my hypothesis that it was from gays homing out of the closet. In response, I would like your guess as to a better explanation.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  8. #548
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Claim? In my last post, I asked you a simple question. Do you know the meaning of the word hypothesis? I don't know where you got this "burden of proof" crap, because all I asked for was your educated guess. I posted a link to statistics that showed gay men are 50 times more likely for HIV and it's at an all-time high, so the issue with gay sex has been well demonstrated. You immediately cried "Ludicrous" at my hypothesis that it was from gays homing out of the closet. In response, I would like your guess as to a better explanation.
    Ok so you are not claiming that greater societal acceptable of homosexuality has led to an increase in homosexual sex and and an increase in the number of HIV cases. You are making an unsubstantiated hypothesis,
    which to all intents and purposes is the same thing.

    Fair enough. My hypothesis is that the number of HIV cases among homosexual men has increased because there is now a large population of gay men with HIV so that the probability that a gay man may have sex with someone with HIV is higher than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

  9. #549
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,822
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Moderator's Warning:
    What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]Let's stick to the topic as well. HIV is not the topic here.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  10. #550
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]Let's stick to the topic as well. HIV is not the topic here.
    Mr. Moderator,
    The topic is why you support (or oppose, since that was an answer) gay marriage. I have made it clear that I oppose, partly based on the general message that it sends of there being nothing wrong with homosexuality. To defend this opinion, I am simply drawing attention to a medical issue which is significantly increased by such behavior. What's the problem?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •