View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #41
    User StubbornMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-05-13 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    55

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    I used to be against it, however, after reevaluating my stance I reason that you can't stand for liberty while opposing gay marriage without being a hypocrite. So equal rights for all regardless of my personal feelings on the matter!

  2. #42
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    SSM isnt perfect but I feel its as close as we are going to get. Personally I would like to see the term "marriage" removed from government completely and instead have contracts allowed between any agreeing adults and not be limited by number or sex.
    I disagree. Removing the term marriage from government falsely concedes that marriage is somehow the property of religion. (rather, the property of one particular religion). It isn't. It's ok with me if the religious want to use the same word as me to refer to their bonds of love, but they don't get to take that word away from me.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Weíll say what? Something like ďnothing happenedĒ ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Outside of the OT, which you don't listen to anymore,
    Prove it. Show me how I don't listen to the OT anymore. The quickest way to freezing a debate with me, is to tell me what I believe. Now that you've committed yourself, you get to produce your evidence. This should be a breeze for a steel trap, scientific mind, like you have.

  4. #44
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Prove it. Show me how I don't listen to the OT anymore. The quickest way to freezing a debate with me, is to tell me what I believe. Now that you've committed yourself, you get to produce your evidence. This should be a breeze for a steel trap, scientific mind, like you have.
    Oh sh*t.. We must be dealing with a psychopath then. You're saying you murder non-believers? Or if your daughter was raped you would make her marry her rapist? You absolutely refuse to eat anything kosher? When you come across a homosexual you stone him to death?

    I assumed you didn't follow the old testament out of hopeful respect for you, but apparently that was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    I think gays should be allowed to marry as in, sign that piece of paper that makes them married in the eyes of the government, because that is a right you get for being a citizen of a country, not for being a religious citizen of a country. And if a country offers benefits to married couples, they should get the same state benefits. The one exception there may be there is about children because you know, they have to adopt them if they are male homo couple or use in-vitro fertilization for women gay couples. But since most of the tests that came out about children who were raised by homosexual couples were positive, in that the children weren't "wrong" in any way, then they should be allowed to adopt. But the tests were on small scale... and hence, there is room to doubt. I would like to see large scale tests performed to have a better, more definitive answer.

    I am against any intrusion of the government to tell religions that they should allow the homosexuals to marry in a Church and I don't think that they should be allowed to marry in a Church/synangogue if the religion (any religion, from the abrahamic religions to the asian ones) doesn't allow it. If the gays want to marry in a church and have a ceremony, they should make the Holy Church of Homosexuals, copy whatever religion they want to have, scrap the no-marriage-for-gays part and replace with something favorable and then they can marry in a Church, have a ceremony and all that good stuff. If the numbers are correct, and 10% of the world is homosexual, then the Holy Church of Homosexuals will have 700bil people as their constituents and it will be the 4th largest religion on the planet after Islam, Christianity and Hinduism.

    But politically, I don't care and I see the whole discussion about gay marriage as being a stupid one, used mostly as a distraction and a means by impotent politicians to gain the votes of the terminally tolerant and economically inept.
    Last edited by Rainman05; 12-26-12 at 06:17 AM.

  6. #46
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Outside of the OT, which you don't listen to anymore, it doesn't say they shouldn't either. And no, it is NOT a commandment.


    It actually doesn't mention the man-woman relationship at all.

    You simply hate gays and you want to twist your religion to support that. Perhaps you can give me a new testament quote saying how gays are wrong and will be going to hell.
    Who says Christians don't listen to the Old Testament? Matthew 5:17-20
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #47
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Who says Christians don't listen to the Old Testament? Matthew 5:17-20
    I don't know any christians who kill non-believers, stone gays, refuse to eat pork, or will force their daughters to marry their rapists. That was always "part of the old covenant that we don't follow anymore".
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Not sure if a poll like this has already been posted, but these are questions that I've been mulling over for sometime. Would appreciate some honest input.


    For exactly all of the same reasons that I think that Straight couples should be allowed to marry.

    My only reservation is that the term "marriage" has religious connotations to some and this might be offensive to apply it to gay civil unions. As a religious term, applying it even to straight marriages in a legal sense would not be appropriate in today's PC climate, so the term Civil Union should probably be expanded to included Straight as well as Gay marriage.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Oh sh*t.. We must be dealing with a psychopath then. You're saying you murder non-believers? Or if your daughter was raped you would make her marry her rapist? You absolutely refuse to eat anything kosher? When you come across a homosexual you stone him to death?

    I assumed you didn't follow the old testament out of hopeful respect for you, but apparently that was mistaken.
    A HUGE misunderstanding of the Old Testament. The section of the OT to which I think you're referring served two purposes:

    1. It was the civil code of ancient Israel similar to our laws and constitution. That particular aspect of the OT, or "The Law", applied only to how the government of ancient Israel was to enforce its laws from the time of Moses to the reign of King Josiah when Israel lost is national sovereignty. In America we also have laws and penalties that if the United States were to be dissolved would no longer apply. Hypothetically, if someone reading our laws outside of the US or at some point in the distant future saw where certain crimes call for the death penalty, that would not apply to them because they would be outside of the jurisdiction of the government of the United States or that state where a capital crime was described.

    2. The above all said, the Old Testament is also the word of God expressed to the human race. Another important aspect of the OT was to define sin (things that offend God), show mankind who otherwise think they are doing nothing wrong in the eyes of the Creator what displeases him and to give mankind a sense of just how serious God considers those offenses by the penalties He calls for if he were writing the laws of a society, yet retrains Himself because of his love and mercy toward people. People are real good at cherry picking verses out of the Bible without taking the entire Bible into context as it should be read, but even under ancient Israeli law you can read about numerous accounts where people violated capital crimes and the death penalty was rarely imposed usually in cases where the offending party was truly sorry for what they did because God loves us. Just because we are not living under ancient Israeli law, it doesn't make the things God defines as sinful okay. He still considers them just as wrong and simply used ancient Israel as an example to communicate his will it all societies throughout history. And being true to his word, he still required the death penalty for sin but because of his love and mercy applied it to Himself instead of us in the person of His Son so the the requirements of justice would be fulfilled and we could be legally forgiven on the basis of faith in and surrender to Him. This does not mean however that any sin is henceforth no longer offensive to God unless God later declared it to be fulfilled as in the case of kosher dietary laws, seemingly (and I might be wrong) put there to allow Jesus to be a perfect sin sacrifice undefiled by unclean meats himself or in his earthly lineage as the kosher dietary laws were lifted only after his crucifixion. Acts 10:9-:15
    Last edited by Smeagol; 12-26-12 at 07:35 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't know any christians who kill non-believers, stone gays, refuse to eat pork, or will force their daughters to marry their rapists. That was always "part of the old covenant that we don't follow anymore".
    You forgot about sacrificing lambs and calves.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •