View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Iím gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because itís an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I donít want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • Iím opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I donít care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Before they even met she was rendered unable to have children. For them, unfortunately, intent was just as ineffective as intent to have children for a same-sex couple, wouldn't you say?
    No, because no matter how you slice it, there's no way a same-sex couple can have a child together. Intent is irrelevant in their case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm glad you agree, then. Homosexual marriages aren't inferior just for their inability to have children.
    I agree that homosexual marriage is an abomination in the sight of God.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Since when does my marriage have to prove anything to you, anyway?
    Since my faith in God had to prove anything to you.

  2. #182
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Equal Rights. Why does a male and a women have the right but not a male and a male? And don't give me because the Bible says so. The United States was build on the idea of a secular state. The Bible should have no influence. If you are against it because of your religion, then don't engage in it. Contrary to common beliefs, not everybody practices your religion.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  3. #183
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Sexuality is not considered when determining rights in most states, this it is a non-factor. Legally speaking LGBT people have equal rights since in most states the definition is one man one woman. I don't think sexuality should be lumped in the same status as race, religion, and gender.
    So would you marry a person you were not in love with, and never had any intention of loving or having children with, in order to have the same legal status as others who are married?

    Yes - a gay man can marry a gay woman. That's hardly a rational or reasonable argument.

    Why can't the law state "one consenting adult and one consenting adult" ?

    Then there's no issue at all.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    which was the point I was making...just too lazy to spell it out in such detail.

    ie, my church has allowed the girl scouts to use our facility for meetings. if we refused to allow a gay couple to use our facility for a wedding...we could be sued.

    Please....that's just the weakest argument ever. Sure anyone can file a lawsuit. Doesn't mean a court will hear it. Doesn't mean the one filing the suit will win.

    Did the girl scouts threaten to sue your church if they couldn't use the building? The word "allowed" seems to point to the obvious answer.

    There are hundreds if not thousands of places people can go to get married. They don't need your church. And if they are not members of your church then your church can refuse to allow them access to use it. It's as simple as that.

    Don't try fear-mongering something that's really about as unreasonable as pigs flying.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Equal Rights.
    Wrong. If they actually had equal rights then we wouldn't be having this discussion, as SSM would be legal in all 50 states.

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Why does a male and a women have the right but not a male and a male? And don't give me because the Bible says so.
    That's exactly why I'm saying so. And don't give me "Because the Bible is irrelevant". The Bible happens to represent the belief of millions in this country.

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    The United States was build on the idea of a secular state.
    Show me in the Constitution where it says that.

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    The Bible should have no influence. If you are against it because of your religion, then don't engage in it. Contrary to common beliefs, not everybody practices your religion.
    Secularism should have no influence. Not everybody supports your secular point of view.

  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Show me in the Constitution where it says that.

    .
    establishment clause

  7. #187
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Please....that's just the weakest argument ever. Sure anyone can file a lawsuit. Doesn't mean a court will hear it. Doesn't mean the one filing the suit will win.

    Did the girl scouts threaten to sue your church if they couldn't use the building? The word "allowed" seems to point to the obvious answer.

    There are hundreds if not thousands of places people can go to get married. They don't need your church. And if they are not members of your church then your church can refuse to allow them access to use it. It's as simple as that.

    Don't try fear-mongering something that's really about as unreasonable as pigs flying.
    defensive butthurt much? or just not paying attention?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Not sure if a poll like this has already been posted...
    Yeah, it has, like a million times, but that's ok, someone else behind you will make it again, and another after that, and so it goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    ....but these are questions that I've been mulling over for sometime. Would appreciate some honest input.
    Well IMO since it does nothing to help the divorce rate it's like getting all excited over the special Olympics. Half of them will fail anyway so if they don't care, I can't make them. They gave up morality and ethics when they chose to be gay in the first place, so it's pretty much just a dead horse at this point.

  9. #189
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post

    I agree that homosexual marriage is an abomination in the sight of God.

    Since my faith in God had to prove anything to you.
    Which religion do you follow?

    I ask because you aren't following Jesus at all, and so I'm wondering which one it might be.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #190
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah, it has, like a million times, but that's ok, someone else behind you will make it again, and another after that, and so it goes.


    Well IMO since it does nothing to help the divorce rate it's like getting all excited over the special Olympics. Half of them will fail anyway so if they don't care, I can't make them. They gave up morality and ethics when they chose to be gay in the first place, so it's pretty much just a dead horse at this point.

    anything that cuts down on casual sex in reststop bathrooms, public parks, bath houses, etc is a good thing
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •