View Poll Results: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I’m gay/lesbian

    3 1.76%
  • Because it’s an equal rights issue

    93 54.71%
  • Because gays/lesbians love each other too

    8 4.71%
  • Because I despise bigots/haters

    2 1.18%
  • Because I don’t want to be labeled a bigot

    1 0.59%
  • I’m opposed to gay marriage

    14 8.24%
  • I don’t care, either way

    17 10.00%
  • Other

    32 18.82%
Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 710

Thread: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

  1. #161
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Absolutely not. I'm guessing the intent for both of you was still there, even though she was unable to have children. It's also important to remember that you came together as husband and wife. Good for you.
    Before they even met she was rendered unable to have children. For them, unfortunately, intent was just as ineffective as intent to have children for a same-sex couple, wouldn't you say?

    I'm glad you agree, then. Homosexual marriages aren't inferior just for their inability to have children.

    Since when does my marriage have to prove anything to you, anyway?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,567

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Fortunately, nobody has ever suggested legally requiring a church to perform same-sex marriages in their facilities if they don't want to. Churches aren't required to perform your marriage for you either, you know. They can say "no, go somewhere else. We don't like your hair."

    Because it's private property and you don't have a right to use it for your ceremony.
    I've said this so many times, and it falls on deaf ears.

    SSM is not a mandate for churches or the religious. It's for the state and country,

    SSM does not in any way change anything done by churches.

    So any religious angle one takes against SSM is useless.

  3. #163
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I've said this so many times, and it falls on deaf ears.

    SSM is not a mandate for churches or the religious. It's for the state and country,

    SSM does not in any way change anything done by churches.

    So any religious angle one takes against SSM is useless.
    until some gay or lesbian couple sues a church for refusing to perform their ceremony.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #164
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I've said this so many times, and it falls on deaf ears.

    SSM is not a mandate for churches or the religious. It's for the state and country,

    SSM does not in any way change anything done by churches.

    So any religious angle one takes against SSM is useless.
    until some gay or lesbian couple sues a church for refusing to perform their ceremony.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,567

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    until some gay or lesbian couple sues a church for refusing to perform their ceremony.
    Nonsense. I can't sue the Catholic Church for refusing to marry me. Nor can I sue a Synagogue. Nor can I sue a Mormon Church.

    They have the RIGHT to refuse to marry anyone they chose for numerous reasons.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    They have the RIGHT to refuse to marry anyone they chose for numerous reasons.
    We'll see if this stands the test of time.

  7. #167
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Nonsense. I can't sue the Catholic Church for refusing to marry me. Nor can I sue a Synagogue. Nor can I sue a Mormon Church.

    They have the RIGHT to refuse to marry anyone they chose for numerous reasons.
    you can sue just about anyone for any or no reason not saying you have grounds to sue...but I could see it happening by someone wanting to make a statement
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #168
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    I support it simply because we have a horrible tendency in this nation to discriminate against some group of people. It is about civil liberties and anything involving that has my support.

    Now granted I think government should be out entirely when it comes to marriage and only recognize civil unions in both heterosexual and homosexual couples. I think if the government did that then there might be less problems. Marriage originated in the church and through religion. Keep it there, and adopt civil unions for tax purposes.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you can sue just about anyone for any or no reason not saying you have grounds to sue...but I could see it happening by someone wanting to make a statement

    More correct would be the statement: You can attempt to sue just about anybody if you are willing to suffer the consequences
    Last edited by Somerville; 12-27-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #170
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    re: What is the primary reason behind your support for same-sex marriage? [W:539/549]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    until some gay or lesbian couple sues a church for refusing to perform their ceremony.
    A gay couple cannot sue a religious institution for refusing to marry them - HOWEVER, if the institution owns some property for which they have received tax exemptions and said property has been leased or rented to non-church groups for private functions not related to the church (temple, mosque or synagogue) and they refuse to rent or lease under the same terms to a group that would be holding a gay marriage ceremony - THEN the religious institution could be sued for discrimination against a specific group.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •