View Poll Results: Does the media show bias against black people?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 39.39%
  • No

    20 60.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Does the media show bias against black people?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    294

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Pick up any copy of "The Klansman."

    If you want a more mainstream example, most episodes of "Cops" or "The first 48" present black people doing bad things--things not typical of all black people.
    Cops definitely does not show bias against black people. Whenever I've watched it I've seen a pretty equal representation of all races. I don't know what the first 48 is, though. But to say that Cops is biased against black people is just ridiculous.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    By media I don't just mean the news. I mean the entertainment media as well such as television and movies and even commercials. Do we still see negative portrayals of black people?
    Generally, I do not.
    I feel that portraying people as they are is neither negative nor positive.....if they are that way, then so be it.. This cannot be ignored..A high percentage of what I see, hear, feel, TODAY is a good example of fairness to the so-called black...Granted, it was not always this way..
    I have never heard of nor seen the "Klansman"...
    Now, this is our media of which I talk, but , as for the people, the American people, I know that there are many haters, many nazis, even in our Congress..It will take many years for this sickness to fade away.

  3. #13
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Generally, I do not.
    I feel that portraying people as they are is neither negative nor positive.....if they are that way, then so be it.. This cannot be ignored..A high percentage of what I see, hear, feel, TODAY is a good example of fairness to the so-called black...Granted, it was not always this way..
    I have never heard of nor seen the "Klansman"...
    Now, this is our media of which I talk, but , as for the people, the American people, I know that there are many haters, many nazis, even in our Congress..It will take many years for this sickness to fade away.
    By the "Klansman" I believe he must be referring to the movie The Birth of a Nation. The Klansman is the play that film was based upon. However, that movie was released in 1915, which makes it a really old example, almost a hundred years. The movie contains numerous racial stereotypes and portrays the KKK as a heroic organization that saves white women from evil black men. If any such movie were released today, there would be widespread outrage. There was even a lot of outrage back when it was released.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Pick up any copy of "The Klansman."

    If you want a more mainstream example, most episodes of "Cops" or "The first 48" present black people doing bad things--things not typical of all black people.
    They show white people doing bad things that are not typical of all white people. Why would a black person have to always be placed in the light most favorable to all black people?

  5. #15
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Pick up any copy of "The Klansman."

    If you want a more mainstream example, most episodes of "Cops" or "The first 48" present black people doing bad things--things not typical of all black people.
    Helloooooo. These are reality shows.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Cops definitely does not show bias against black people. Whenever I've watched it I've seen a pretty equal representation of all races. I don't know what the first 48 is, though. But to say that Cops is biased against black people is just ridiculous.
    Plus, the program is supposed to be showing real life criminal activity as it happens. It's a "What you see is what is really going on out there" scenario.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    By the "Klansman" I believe he must be referring to the movie The Birth of a Nation. The Klansman is the play that film was based upon. However, that movie was released in 1915, which makes it a really old example, almost a hundred years. The movie contains numerous racial stereotypes and portrays the KKK as a heroic organization that saves white women from evil black men. If any such movie were released today, there would be widespread outrage. There was even a lot of outrage back when it was released.
    Quite the phenomenon....that two can see the same scene and report two different things.. I have watched "Birth of a Nation" (TCM) ...I do not think it was that controversial and...this KKK, I saw it being showed as evil as can be.
    This movie needs to be re-shown, but with audio, and exactly the same as it was a century ago... A shame that todays directors cannot seem to leave "well enough" alone.
    Last edited by earthworm; 12-24-12 at 12:50 PM.

  8. #18
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Cops definitely does not show bias against black people. Whenever I've watched it I've seen a pretty equal representation of all races. I don't know what the first 48 is, though. But to say that Cops is biased against black people is just ridiculous.
    Whenever I've watched it, most of the suspects or perpetrators are African American. Now, in the sense that the people filmed behaved as the film depicts, there is no bias. But the upshot is nevertheless that people seem to get the idea that African Americans behave that way, or tend to behave that way.

    See, for instance:

    http://jmq.sagepub.com/content/71/3/509.short

    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08838159409364255

    The second directly addresses "Cops."

  9. #19
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher
    They show white people doing bad things that are not typical of all white people. Why would a black person have to always be placed in the light most favorable to all black people?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    Helloooooo. These are reality shows.
    I posted these two links in response to Sonic:

    http://jmq.sagepub.com/content/71/3/509.short

    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08838159409364255

    Part of the problem is white privilege. When a white person is depicted doing something wrong, he's thought of as a "bad white person." When a black person is depicted doing something wrong, it's thought of as being typical of black people. The classic study on this phenomenon (which is just slightly more complex than I've sketched here--though what I've said is one well-studied consequence) is Barbara Flagg's "Was Blind, But Now I See," which will be available at good libraries and bookstores.

  10. #20
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Does the media show bias against black people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    I posted these two links in response to Sonic:

    Representation and Reality in the Portrayal of Blacks on Network Television News

    An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

    Part of the problem is white privilege. When a white person is depicted doing something wrong, he's thought of as a "bad white person." When a black person is depicted doing something wrong, it's thought of as being typical of black people. The classic study on this phenomenon (which is just slightly more complex than I've sketched here--though what I've said is one well-studied consequence) is Barbara Flagg's "Was Blind, But Now I See," which will be available at good libraries and bookstores.
    By whose yardstick? Why do you make that assumption? Are you black? Are you white? How do you know what goes on in people's minds? Please 'splain to me "white privilege."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •