View Poll Results: When should the US support authoritarianism?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should support authoritarian governments when it suits our interests

    3 10.71%
  • We should when they support our interests AND the alternative is also authoritarian

    3 10.71%
  • We should never support authoritarianism

    16 57.14%
  • Other

    6 21.43%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

  1. #1
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    There is an inherent contradiction in our ideals of promotion of freedom, and our support of autocracies such as Saudi Arabia and South Vietnam. When is such support justified?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    The more interesting question would be when should we not support a Democratic government me thinks. We should deal with authoritarian misgovernment as we have to--there is nothing we can change about that--but we should also be willing to work with weak/weakening authoritarian governments to try to guide them to democracy of some type witin a generation.

  3. #3
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    The US should support authoritarian regimes when priorities dictate such. This is to say, there are many tools in the diplomacy toolbox (war, economic interaction, development aid, security, etc) and they must be utilized with priorities in mind. For example: Invading China to nation build is not an option; however, it is for some. Iran is a terrorist state. It supplies Hamas, Hez and Assad. As long as that regmine remains in power, those organizations will remain players on the international stage. Going rogue with nukes? That's just kinda icing on the cake.

    Ultimately, the goal is a free world; nonetheless, priotities must be arranged and various tools utilized in this endeavor.

    The US should support (western liberal democracy) authoritarianism domestically as it fairly balances rights against each other and provides for an enforced social contract (rule of law).
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-22-12 at 09:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post

    The US should support (western liberal democracy) authoritarianism domestically as it fairly balances rights against each other and provides for an enforced social contract (rule of law).
    Are you suggesting that there is such a thing as "western liberal democratic authoritarianism"?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #5
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Are you suggesting that there is such a thing as "western liberal democratic authoritarianism"?
    Yes, laws specifically and interventionist foreign policy obliquely. These, of course, are an aside from the reality of prioritization (the thread ending point, which can be discussed but not debated - we cannot do everything at the same time). The aforementioned points are also not debatable, but feel free to have at them.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-22-12 at 09:39 PM.

  6. #6
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The US should support authoritarian regimes when priorities dictate such. This is to say, there are many tools in the diplomacy toolbox (war, economic interaction, development aid, security, etc) and they must be utilized with priorities in mind. For example: Invading China to nation build is not an option; however, it is for some. Iran is a terrorist state. It supplies Hamas, Hez and Assad. As long as that regmine remains in power, those organizations will remain players on the international stage. Going rogue with nukes? That's just kinda icing on the cake.

    Ultimately, the goal is a free world; nonetheless, priotities must be arranged and various tools utilized in this endeavor.

    The US should support (western liberal democracy) authoritarianism domestically as it fairly balances rights against each other and provides for an enforced social contract (rule of law).
    I don't think you understand the meaning of authoritarianism. I'm referring to a non-democratic regime, possibly one that doesn't respect civil liberties or human rights, but one that benefits the interests of the United States. I'm not talking about a government that enforces any laws at all. Western liberal democratic authoritarianism is oxymoronic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #7
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I don't think you understand the meaning of authoritarianism.
    Then we are at an impasse. Good day.

  8. #8
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Then we are at an impass. Good day.
    When I mention authoritarianism, I'm not talking about rule of law. I'm talking about what you might consider totalitarianism, or dictatorship, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #9
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    I said Good Day.

  10. #10
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: When should the US support authoritarian governments?

    I think that we should support those governments that deliver the most freedom to the most people. In some cases, those governments that are more authoritarian in nature can actually do such, as in the case of Turkey under Kemel Ataturk. He was a strong leader and had some authoritarian tendencies, but he delivered human rights in the process.

    Conversely, we have situations such as Egypt today where elections only lead to an erosion of civil rights as ignorant, backwards people put knuckle-dragging religious zealots into power.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •