View Poll Results: WHy Are the Dems now Pushing Severe Gun Restrictions

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because of the School Massacre

    28 42.42%
  • Because Obama didn't want to lose the last election

    15 22.73%
  • Because the dems want to stick it to pro gun groups

    19 28.79%
  • Because the dems want to distract from the financial mess

    19 28.79%
  • Because they actually think it will decrease crime

    29 43.94%
  • Oher

    14 21.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 129

Thread: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

  1. #1
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Is it the massacre or is it political expediency or just plain pandering

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Is it the massacre or is it political expediency or just plain pandering
    "Never let a good crisis go to waste," answers the timing. The reason behind it? I'd say they probably believe what they're doing more than not.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    My vote was "Other" because there was no "All of the above".

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Is it the massacre or is it political expediency or just plain pandering
    I think it's combo of the massacre and pandering. I also believe that some of them honestly do believe it would decrease crime, I just disagree with them on that point.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    My vote was "Other" because there was no "All of the above".
    The square boxes indicate you can choose more than one, so you could have picked them all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    The difference between "never letting a crisis go to waste," ie the age old accusation that people take advantage of difficult times or situations to push for something unrelated but under the guise of addressing the problem, and people honestly trying to address a problem is more often than not just the difference in one's opinion on whatever solution is being proposed.

    If you don't like the idea of gun control, than its just the left, libs, and dems using this tragedy to push laws that have alternative motives.

    If you do like the idea of gun control, than this tragedy is finally the wake up call the government and people needed to finally take some real action against a serious problem.

    Personally I'll pass on the hyperbole and rhetoric and stick to the facts of the matter Turtle.

  7. #7
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think it's combo of the massacre and pandering. I also believe that some of them honestly do believe it would decrease crime, I just disagree with them on that point.
    I think most of the low information lefty voters who support gun restrictions feel that way. I don't believe it is true with the leaders of the anti gun movement

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    The difference between "never letting a crisis go to waste," ie the age old accusation that people take advantage of difficult times or situations to push for something unrelated but under the guise of addressing the problem, and people honestly trying to address a problem is more often than not just the difference in one's opinion on whatever solution is being proposed.

    If you don't like the idea of gun control, than its just the left, libs, and dems using this tragedy to push laws that have alternative motives.

    If you do like the idea of gun control, than this tragedy is finally the wake up call the government and people needed to finally take some real action against a serious problem.

    Personally I'll pass on the hyperbole and rhetoric and stick to the facts of the matter Turtle.
    those facts being?

  9. #9
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Is it the massacre or is it political expediency or just plain pandering
    It is liberal autocrats trying to force their will on people as they always do. They are ten times worse than the GOP about that despite their whining as to the opposite. What they fail to get now, as always, is that if they decided to adapt policies that promote or deter things instead of ramming it down people's throats, they would meet with a lot less resistance and garner a lot more support. Their Nannystate doctrine needs to be a little more Mary Poppins and a little less Bloody Mary.

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    I'll give the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge that some people do honestly believe that gun control would decrease crime. Then, when a tragedy such as the recent massacre comes along, they use it to further their agenda. I do NOT mean that in a negative way. It's perfectly natural for real-life events to shape the direction of a society.

    To me, I think it's clear we need to do something. I'm not comfortable with all these shootings, and I'm not so sure anymore that they can be explained away via expanded media attention and coverage* so we just hear about them more.

    Having said that, we need to do something that might actually be effective, and gun control ain't it.

    *- I do think that expanded media attention and coverage very possibly encourages some people to go out in a "blaze of glory" rather than the usual lonely and pathetic way they normally would otherwise.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •