View Poll Results: WHy Are the Dems now Pushing Severe Gun Restrictions

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because of the School Massacre

    28 42.42%
  • Because Obama didn't want to lose the last election

    15 22.73%
  • Because the dems want to stick it to pro gun groups

    19 28.79%
  • Because the dems want to distract from the financial mess

    19 28.79%
  • Because they actually think it will decrease crime

    29 43.94%
  • Oher

    14 21.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

  1. #121
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    This really has nothing to do with the school shooting, that's just an excuse to bring up this same old tired desire once again, politicians never fail to trot out their fondest wishes when the opportunity presents itself. However, I think the Democrats, and the Republicans for that matter, really don't want to address the core problem, they just want to make a show of doing things for the voters without actually doing anything meaningful that would likely cost them votes.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #122
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    First of all I assumed Turtle Dude was addressing those who are in a position of direct action that is President Obama, members of Congress, key members in Bureaucracy, and leading members of lobbyists.

    The massacre was just a convenient circumstance to bring the gun control up after the election.

    Even if Obama would have won the election if gun control was brought up before, it doesn't mean that it would not have had consequences to the politicians who were elected to Congress and most Democrats were not willing to risk their election for just this issue.

    For whatever reason Democrats have fell behind the gun banners and of course are going to try to stick it to the pro-gun side.

    I chose this since the Democrats do not want to deal with the budget and just want to raise taxes (and ban guns too).

    A few might think it would reduce crime but the bulk would be aware that it would not. (I'm assuming that they are rational people and have other reasons for wanting to prohibit the ownership of guns for the general populace.)
    Last edited by Shadow Serious; 12-25-12 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added not to sentence
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  3. #123
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The NRA is looking out for our 2nd amendment rights.....

    Which is a little more than just "their own interests".... it also happens to be the best interests of All Americans.

    Kind of like the ACLU will look out for your civil rights, regardless of how disgusting of a manner in which you might decide to use them.
    The NRA does more harm than good. With each stupid stunt they pull, they strengthen the other side. I support gun rights in this country, and the right for every American to continue to own a firearm long after I'm dead and buried, which is why I can never support the NRA. Partisan politics is not the way to protect rights, but it's a fine way to destroy them.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #124
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Pure garbage.


    Colombine had two armed officers present at the school when the killers attacked and even engaged in a shoot out with them. After a week of so called reflection, Mr. LaPierre forgot to mention that fact during his pandering press conference last Friday. How come?


    Columbine High School Had Armed Guard During Massacre In 1999

    Utah has had armed officers guarding our schools for YEARS and some even teach classes. So do tell how the NRA's plan is so "meaningful" in helping to stop the killing? It might have been meaningful if they offered to fund the police protection of schools....but they didn't. How come?
    And where, Moot, did you see me defend the NRA's plan? I simply stated that Dems wouldn't fund a guard in a school. And they won't. They'd rather spend it on less worthy causes. Politicians pretend to care, but they don't. They care about power. They care about money. They care about re-elected.
    Columbine had 1 cop there, not 2. And the guy also wasn't wearing his prescription glasses as he is supposed to be, attempted to engage a target at 60 yards with a .45 cal pistol, and was outside the school on his lunch break when the shooting started. It was the perfect storm of stupid cop and bad timing. For all we know, the shooters timed it so he was on his lunch break. The fact of the matter is that no matter what we do, we aren't going to stop a determined individual or group of individuals from doing something like this. We can ban all guns, there would still be millions in circulation. We can put metal detectors up, see through backpacks, pat down every student, bar all of the doors, and still someone would find a way. There isn't a end all, be all solution to this.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #125
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    And where, Moot, did you see me defend the NRA's plan? I simply stated that Dems wouldn't fund a guard in a school. And they won't. They'd rather spend it on less worthy causes. Politicians pretend to care, but they don't. They care about power. They care about money. They care about re-elected.
    Baloney. Dems care just as much about protecting schools as the next guy if not more. Haymarket suggested putting guards in schools long before LaPierre did. Totally agree about politicians...except there are a few that seem to care more about people than power and money but they are helpless unless they play the game.

    Columbine had 1 cop there, not 2.
    Two. One was eating lunch in his car when the one of the killers saw him and started shooting at him. The other was a rapid first responder just seconds away, but didn't enter school because apparently he wasn't trained or equipped to SWAT and force his way in to seek out and kill the shooters, especially without knowing the situation inside.

    And the guy also wasn't wearing his prescription glasses as he is supposed to be, attempted to engage a target at 60 yards with a .45 cal pistol, and was outside the school on his lunch break when the shooting started.
    Yeah, thats what I just said.

    It was the perfect storm of stupid cop and bad timing.
    Such is real life.

    For all we know, the shooters timed it so he was on his lunch break. The fact of the matter is that no matter what we do, we aren't going to stop a determined individual or group of individuals from doing something like this. We can ban all guns, there would still be millions in circulation. We can put metal detectors up, see through backpacks, pat down every student, bar all of the doors, and still someone would find a way. There isn't a end all, be all solution to this.
    That is absolutely true. No matter how many guards are put at one school a determined killer will just find another vulnerable location and there's no guarentee that armed guards or police or even citizens with guns can be present at any given time or place to save the day. It's a cruel reality and sadly it's probably always been that way. But just not with quite the frequency that we are witnessing today.

    Soo, we agree. Now what do we do? lol

  6. #126
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    guards or better yet armed anonymous staff members, are far better choice than trying to ban the guns of honest people pretending that such bans are going to stop people planning to commit capital murder

  7. #127
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    The NRA does more harm than good.
    Says you. I disagree.....
    With each stupid stunt they pull, they strengthen the other side.
    What "stunts" are these? Or are we allowed to just throw general terms out?
    I support gun rights in this country, and the right for every American to continue to own a firearm long after I'm dead and buried, which is why I can never support the NRA. Partisan politics is not the way to protect rights, but it's a fine way to destroy them.
    Sure... Okay.... Whatever you say........
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #128
    User Nordenkalt444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    They think it will decrease crime, but it wont. People will get their guns one way or another.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-30-14 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    70

    Re: Why are the Dems NOW pushing for severe restrictions upon lawful gun owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Mother Jones has made a persuasive case that arming civilians does little to stop mass shooters, and even cops can't stop every shooting. Columbine High School had an armed security officer on campus at the time of the 1999 shooting that killed 13 people. He even exchanged gunfire with one of the killers. Neither one of them was hit."

    Fact-Checking the NRA Press Conference - National - The Atlantic Wire
    MOTHER JONES Only Reviews Mass Slaughter In 'GUN FREE ZONES'
    With 4 Killings Or More

    Mother Jones Inadvertantly Makes A Good Case For Banning Gun Free Zones
    AND What Makes Concealed Carry Effective Against Violent Crime

    Re-Read The Article With That Perspective
    See What Ya Think

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •