View Poll Results: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a conservative and think he should be confirmed

    0 0%
  • I am a liberal and think he should be confirmed

    5 50.00%
  • I am a conservative and think he should NOT be confirmed

    2 20.00%
  • I am a liberal and think he should NOT be confirmed

    1 10.00%
  • Other, don't know

    2 20.00%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    White House defends Hagel as Obama mulls Pentagon choice - Yahoo! News

    The front runner for Secretary of Defense is Chuck Hagel, who was the US Senator from Nebraska(Republican) until 2008 when he retired. He served in Vietnam where he was awarded 2 purple crosses. Some republicans are attacking his potential nomination. Their contentions:

    1: He once referred negatively to the "Jewish lobby". The exact quote: "The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here."
    2: He has been critical of Israel at times.
    3: He has been critical of the trade embargo with Cuba.
    4: He was critical of aspects of the Iraq war.

    To balance that out, he did claim he misspoke when referring to the Jewish lobby and meant Israel lobby, he has been supportive of Israel at times, and did vote in favor of the Iraq war.

    So, the question is, based on what you know(and some of you probably know more than me about him), should the senate confirm him if he is nominated? Note the question is not whether he is the best choice, but whether, if chosen, he is good enough that he should be confirmed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Yes, I support Chuck Hagel.


  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    On the surface, he looks ok, but why, out of the blue, would it turn out that Hagel is buddies with Obama?

    It's also bothersome that Hagel is a pro-amnesty type.

    Naturally the fact of being Obama's choice makes him highly suspect.

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    On the surface, he looks ok, but why, out of the blue, would it turn out that Hagel is buddies with Obama?

    It's also bothersome that Hagel is a pro-amnesty type.

    Naturally the fact of being Obama's choice makes him highly suspect.
    It is not out of the blue. Hagel was rumored to be a possible VP choice in 2008 for Obama.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #5
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Strike Two.

  6. #6
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    On the surface, he looks ok, but why, out of the blue, would it turn out that Hagel is buddies with Obama?

    It's also bothersome that Hagel is a pro-amnesty type.

    Naturally the fact of being Obama's choice makes him highly suspect.
    Hagel would be another GOP traitor.

    First Colin Powell endorses Obama.
    Then Crist becomes a Democrat.
    Next, Chris Christie heaps unending praise on Obama days before the election.
    Now it appears Hagel will be the next traitor.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    White House defends Hagel as Obama mulls Pentagon choice - Yahoo! News

    The front runner for Secretary of Defense is Chuck Hagel, who was the US Senator from Nebraska(Republican) until 2008 when he retired. He served in Vietnam where he was awarded 2 purple crosses. Some republicans are attacking his potential nomination. Their contentions:

    1: He once referred negatively to the "Jewish lobby". The exact quote: "The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here."
    2: He has been critical of Israel at times.
    3: He has been critical of the trade embargo with Cuba.
    4: He was critical of aspects of the Iraq war.

    To balance that out, he did claim he misspoke when referring to the Jewish lobby and meant Israel lobby, he has been supportive of Israel at times, and did vote in favor of the Iraq war.

    So, the question is, based on what you know(and some of you probably know more than me about him), should the senate confirm him if he is nominated? Note the question is not whether he is the best choice, but whether, if chosen, he is good enough that he should be confirmed.
    I don't mind Hagel.... neither like or dislike...

    I disagree with some of his stances, but I like to see a successful businessman and Nam combat Vet get his.


    I wonder how him being a successful investment banker and CEO /chairman of a voting machines company will fly with the left though?... usually that stuff is seen as evil by them... but i think it will be overlooked this time...as will him being a millionaire.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: If Nominated, Should The Senate Confirm Chuck Hagel as SecDef?

    Don't know enough about him to form an opinion. None of the controversies you listed are complete deal breakers to me, though I feel support of Israel will be important right now.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •