View Poll Results: Should Obama Be Time's Person of the Year For 2012?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 36.36%
  • No

    30 54.55%
  • Not Sure

    5 9.09%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88

Thread: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

  1. #61
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Talk radio majority pro-Obama? You're joking. All the top-rated talk show hosts endorsed Romney: Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Beck, Ingraham.

    The Press endorsing Obama by a 'large majority'? I don't think so. Press endorsements were fairly evenly split.

    Much as it may serve the right-wing narrative to claim that 'mainstream' only applies to free-to-air TV that doesn't share their politics, it's a much bigger concept than that and, frankly, Fox and News Corporation are the very definition of 'mainstream' media.
    Hrm.. I clearly remember saying "with the exception of fox news". Funny thing is, Hannity, Beck, and Ingraham are associated with fox news. You're also going off the assumption that an equal number of people listen to talk radio that watch news on TV.

    Even better, the person I was responding to said the media was overwhelming anti-Obama, and that his success in spite of this was why he deserved the MOTY award from Time. That doesn't exactly mix with your "evenly split" theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #62
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Time is going down, just like Newsweek.

    Nobody really cares who they pick, do they? Once a publication becomes liberal sewage, they always go broke. Where I live, the local Gannett rag has become kind of a recipe book with pictures of good looking girls at parties that are held at bars throughout town.
    You may not care but apparently someone does. I think the choice of President Obama was a great one. What President since FDR has faced greater challenges then President Obama

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Hrm.. I clearly remember saying "with the exception of fox news". Funny thing is, Hannity, Beck, and Ingraham are associated with fox news. You're also going off the assumption that an equal number of people listen to talk radio that watch news on TV.
    No, I'm not. Not all mainstream media outlets have the same sized audiences.

    Even better, the person I was responding to said the media was overwhelming anti-Obama, and that his success in spite of this was why he deserved the MOTY award from Time. That doesn't exactly mix with your "evenly split" theory.
    Well, that person is not me, and I'd say that point of view is as inaccurate as yours. I linked to stats that show that the Press endorsements of the two presidential candidates was fairly evenly split. You disagree?

    In any case, as I've said several times, Time magazine's POTY is not an accolade like an Oscar or a Nobel. It is judged on influence, it could be good influence or bad influence. It's hardly anything to aspire to. The exertion of social or political influence is neither a sport nor an art and it's not a prize to be 'won'.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    You may not care but apparently someone does. I think the choice of President Obama was a great one. What President since FDR has faced greater challenges then President Obama
    Being influential =/= being successful unless you don't care what the outcome of that influence might be.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #65
    User Nordenkalt444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Please share two or three accomplishments which you think contribute to President Obama's deserving the title.

    As for solving the fiscal cliff problem, that's mostly up to Congress. Signing a bill isn't much of an accomplishment. If President Obama gave the equivalent of an ""Ich bin ein Berliner" or "a shining city on a hill" speech which clearly motivated our nation and influenced Congress regarding the fiscal cliff, then I'd readily agree he influenced the process. So far, I've seen and heard little from him on the matter.
    He's not the worst president, as far as the fiscal cliff I'm not congradulating him because it was only a band-aid on a sword wound. Congress will have to negotiate again within 2 months, or the fiscal cliff will cause the default that was expected.
    "Gay marriage, pot, guns, peace, and cash are all we need"

  6. #66
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordenkalt444 View Post
    He's not the worst president, as far as the fiscal cliff I'm not congradulating him because it was only a band-aid on a sword wound. Congress will have to negotiate again within 2 months, or the fiscal cliff will cause the default that was expected.
    Agreed he isn't the worst. Not by a long shot. He's not that great either. President Obama strikes me as slightly better than average. Certainly not worth POTY.

  7. #67
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Being influential =/= being successful unless you don't care what the outcome of that influence might be.
    What measuring stick do you use to determine what successful is? Here are a few of mine we are not in a depression, our economy is slowly growing, we are out of one war and working towards ending another, we have the affordable health care plan those are just a few of the changes that have occurred under President Obama.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    What measuring stick do you use to determine what successful is? Here are a few of mine we are not in a depression, our economy is slowly growing, we are out of one war and working towards ending another, we have the affordable health care plan those are just a few of the changes that have occurred under President Obama.
    You're missing the point. POTY is about being influential, not successful, good, philanthropic, or creative. Just influential. Receiving it is not an honour.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #69
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You're missing the point. POTY is about being influential, not successful, good, philanthropic, or creative. Just influential. Receiving it is not an honour.
    So in your opinion President Obama has not been influential, you know what they say about opinions? You have yours I have mine and the editors at Times have their opinions

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    So in your opinion President Obama has not been influential, you know what they say about opinions? You have yours I have mine and the editors at Times have their opinions
    Not at all. I think he's a reasonable choice for POTY, I can't think what all the fuss is about. It's not like he's being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize again. He's Time magazine's POTY. Big deal. Seems like the anti-Obama lot are still butthurt over November 6th.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •