View Poll Results: Should Obama Be Time's Person of the Year For 2012?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 36.36%
  • No

    30 54.55%
  • Not Sure

    5 9.09%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88

Thread: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

  1. #41
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    LOL republicans are mad again. Most presidents receive this "honor" after winning an election (except for GWB after his second one which maybe is why they are so angry).

    Quit being so bitter you sore losers. Suck it up for four more years, quit being dumbasses and alienating the country, and then maybe you can win the next one.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #42
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    07-26-13 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    47

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    So seeing that he has done nothing, why should he win!?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The man defied historical precedents and won despite having a 24/7/365 media and political machine out to destroy him before he ever took the oath of office.

    Damn right he should be man of the year.
    What a crock, he all the networks and most of the papers in his pocket.

  4. #44
    Student Vapor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    150

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Bah. Obama hasn't done anything noteworthy. He supports gay marriage? Alright, do something about it. He wants to rethink marijuana policy? Alright, show me an idea. He wants to improve renewable energy? Build some freakin' solar panels. He wants to cut back on the deficit? Show me some substance, not some crap about "$500 billion in revenue...over 10 years." He wants to improve education and reform higher education? Do it.

    Ideas don't make you man of the year, in my book. Malala Yousafzai is more deserving of the award.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Stalin won it twice, . That let's you know the value of that award.
    Yeah, so did Eisenhower, Reagan and GW. Totally discredited.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #46
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Yeah, so did Eisenhower, Reagan and GW. Totally discredited.
    Are you going to actaully compare those three with Stalin? If so I will gladly dismiss you are completely irrelevant from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Are you going to actaully compare those three with Stalin? If so I will gladly dismiss you are completely irrelevant from now on.
    No, it's you who seems to be following false logic. You say the fact that Time made Stalin and Hitler their POTY means the award is totally discredited, failing to mention all the other people who have received it. Until 1979 it was a title assigned to the person "based on what the magazine describes as who they believed had a stronger influence on history and who represented either the year or the century the most". Having a strong influence does not presuppose that influence is always benign. People seem to be getting bent out of shape because they mistake POTY as some kind of Oscar for public personae. It's not an award or an accolade. In fact I'd say it is more like our own AHOTY, some people want to win it because asshattery is an ambiguous term, as is 'influential'.

    Is it discredited by being assigned to unpopular people? Only if you think it's an accolade and only if you believe it has some intrinsic credit or kudos to begin with.

    BTW, please feel free to dismiss me as completely irrelevant all you want. I was never under any illusion that anything I say here is relevant to anything except DP. Nor should you be.
    Last edited by Andalublue; 01-04-13 at 06:36 AM.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #48
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,577

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The man defied historical precedents and won despite having a 24/7/365 media and political machine out to destroy him before he ever took the oath of office.

    Damn right he should be man of the year.
    Were you watching the same TV the rest of us were? With the exception of fox news, the entire mainstream media has been sucking his d*** for the past 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    No, it's you who seems to be following false logic. You say the fact that Time made Stalin and Hitler their POTY means the award is totally discredited, failing to mention all the other people who have received it. Until 1979 it was a title assigned to the person "based on what the magazine describes as who they believed had a stronger influence on history and who represented either the year or the century the most". Having a strong influence does not presuppose that influence is always benign. People seem to be getting bent out of shape because they mistake POTY as some kind of Oscar for public personae. It's not an award or an accolade. In fact I'd say it is more like our own AHOTY, some people want to win it because asshattery is an ambiguous term, as is 'influential'.

    Is it discredited by being assigned to unpopular people? Only if you think it's an accolade and only if you believe it has some intrinsic credit or kudos to begin with.

    BTW, please feel free to dismiss me as completely irrelevant all you want. I was never under any illusion that anything I say here is relevant to anything except DP. Nor should you be.
    It is not about what it was until 1979... it is about what people percieve the award as being NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Time Selects Obama as 2012 Person of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Were you watching the same TV the rest of us were? With the exception of fox news, the entire mainstream media has been sucking his d*** for the past 5 years.
    I have had to censor the news from my children as a result...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •