View Poll Results: Mental Health As a Country-wide Topic

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - we should openly discuss and confront this as a country

    46 83.64%
  • no - it should remain closeted and silent, like it's always been

    1 1.82%
  • Other - please explain

    8 14.55%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 120

Thread: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

  1. #31
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    When will America recognize the 800 pound gorilla in the room? When will the focus of concern and attention be directed at the true issue here?

    Why is mental health still such a hush-hush topic? Something to be kept secret? Something to be be ashamed of or buried?

    How can something that effects so many still be thought of as unspeakable and embarrassing?

    Depression, anxiety, fear, anger, loneliness, hatred, and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

    These things need far more attention than our country currently give them.

    What will it take for people to open up about such things?

    How can we improve our understanding and knowledge about these conditions and not treat them as weaknesses or things to be ashamed of, but as things that can be overcome and helped through?

    If mental health had the same social stigma as cancer, would society be better off as a whole?
    I have a big favor to ask and I know it will be ignored but can we PLEASE stop lumping the DD and AI with MENTAL ILLNESS> they are not the same at all.

    We here on this site that are DD are not mentally ill and I personally find it offensive. SO can we?
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  2. #32
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    I have a big favor to ask and I know it will be ignored but can we PLEASE stop lumping the DD and AI with MENTAL ILLNESS> they are not the same at all.

    We here on this site that are DD are not mentally ill and I personally find it offensive. SO can we?
    What is DD and AI specifically?

  3. #33
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    What is DD and AI specifically?
    developmentally disabled and autistically impaired. They are neurological learning disabilities which impact to one extent or the other develop, functionality and some physiological issues. They are not mental issues in the sense that most people equate Mental illness with.

    Mental illness is usually catagorized under neurotic and psychotic. Psychotics include schizophrenia,psychotic paranoia and MPS (multiple personality syndrome). People put in this catagory do not have the ability to know right from wrong and are normally not in touch with reality.

    Neurotics are generally harmless and include certain types of phobias, neurotic paranoids and even some types of sociopaths.

    So DD =/ MI
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  4. #34
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Mental health is the real issue IMHO. We may not like where the answers lie, in tact I doubt seriously that we will here about them in an unbiased manner, but mental health is the primary issue. Along the way, I believe, if the research were allowed to go where it leads we'd find, diet and prescription drugs to be massive contributing factors. Behind that I suspect we'd find television, movies and video games to significant contributing factors. All of these things are related to Big Bidness and I'm here to tell you Big Bidness ain't going to allow government to face the mental health issues head on. Believe it.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  5. #35
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Mental health is the real issue IMHO. We may not like where the answers lie, in tact I doubt seriously that we will here about them in an unbiased manner, but mental health is the primary issue. Along the way, I believe, if the research were allowed to go where it leads we'd find, diet and prescription drugs to be massive contributing factors. Behind that I suspect we'd find television, movies and video games to significant contributing factors. All of these things are related to Big Bidness and I'm here to tell you Big Bidness ain't going to allow government to face the mental health issues head on. Believe it.
    Ok mental health. Thats better at least its a start. Thank Risky.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  6. #36
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Mental health is the real issue IMHO. We may not like where the answers lie, in tact I doubt seriously that we will here about them in an unbiased manner, but mental health is the primary issue. Along the way, I believe, if the research were allowed to go where it leads we'd find, diet and prescription drugs to be massive contributing factors. Behind that I suspect we'd find television, movies and video games to significant contributing factors. All of these things are related to Big Bidness and I'm here to tell you Big Bidness ain't going to allow government to face the mental health issues head on. Believe it.
    I disagree with this assertion no real objective evidence from any relable source to prove it.

    DD - is genetic pure and simple
    MI - is genetic and neurophysiological with some variation.

    Ask the national Autism society or the National mental health Institute if they agree. I would be very much surprised if they did.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  7. #37
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    When will America recognize the 800 pound gorilla in the room? When will the focus of concern and attention be directed at the true issue here?

    Why is mental health still such a hush-hush topic? Something to be kept secret? Something to be be ashamed of or buried?

    How can something that effects so many still be thought of as unspeakable and embarrassing?

    Depression, anxiety, fear, anger, loneliness, hatred, and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

    These things need far more attention than our country currently give them.

    What will it take for people to open up about such things?

    How can we improve our understanding and knowledge about these conditions and not treat them as weaknesses or things to be ashamed of, but as things that can be overcome and helped through?

    If mental health had the same social stigma as cancer, would society be better off as a whole?
    It isn't America. It is the politicians afraid of offending special interest groups that allow them careers... I have talked very openly about this issue since Columbine and I think that I have only talked with one person out of possibly a hundred that thought that guns were the issue. Everybody else agreed it was mental health or socio-economic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    I have a big favor to ask and I know it will be ignored but can we PLEASE stop lumping the DD and AI with MENTAL ILLNESS> they are not the same at all.

    We here on this site that are DD are not mentally ill and I personally find it offensive. SO can we?
    Mentally ill is an open term. It applies to pretty much all of us but is used to talk about people that fall outside the norm. Relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #39
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    I disagree with this assertion no real objective evidence from any relable source to prove it.

    DD - is genetic pure and simple
    MI - is genetic and neurophysiological with some variation.

    Ask the national Autism society or the National mental health Institute if they agree. I would be very much surprised if they did.
    Sorry for the confusion. There's no question in my mind concerning the need for mental health. I'm think probably now more than ever. I would submit that the causes of mental health may have broadened or increased over a few decades due to an atrocious American diet and to the over use of prescriptions drugs in the U.S. While I believe research can and would point to both poor diet and prescription drugs/over medication to being major factors in contributing to mental health I believe Big Business will/would stand in the way of those truths being acknowledged. I don't believe that mood altering drugs, prescription or illegal, and gun use are necessarily a good combination.

    I also suspect that electronic media plays a major part.
    Last edited by Risky Thicket; 12-19-12 at 07:37 PM.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #40
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mental Health - Isn't This The Real Issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    When will America recognize the 800 pound gorilla in the room? When will the focus of concern and attention be directed at the true issue here?

    Why is mental health still such a hush-hush topic? Something to be kept secret? Something to be be ashamed of or buried?

    How can something that effects so many still be thought of as unspeakable and embarrassing?

    Depression, anxiety, fear, anger, loneliness, hatred, and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

    These things need far more attention than our country currently give them.

    What will it take for people to open up about such things?

    How can we improve our understanding and knowledge about these conditions and not treat them as weaknesses or things to be ashamed of, but as things that can be overcome and helped through?

    If mental health had the same social stigma as cancer, would society be better off as a whole?
    The same way we taught most people to understand that blacks are not subhuman or only good for nothing. Long years of education. this requires PROPERLY trained teachers, aides, counselors (psychological),, therapists etc. We first need to take religion out of the school mindset of teachers. (for example: saying that a DD child is an offense against God in class or that crying because you are being teased in rebellion against God by a TEACHER is unacceptable.) Both of these are real instances and NOTIING was done to the teacher because the system she worked for allowed and condoned such attitudes. In other places that teacher would have been fired or worse.

    Anyhow. Thats thet first step. the second would be to make sure EVERY teacher, admin, staffer and aide knew precisely what the ADA says and what the federal laws are pertaining to such children.

    Third - Inclusion whereever and whenever possible. Just because its INCONVENIENT for the teachers to be bothered by having such a child in thier class does not mean they are second class citizens or should be treated as such.

    Fourth - Peer inclusion. Develop VOLUNTARY programs in schools that have NT (neurologically typical normal) kids paired up with these others. In many places this is called lunch bunch or learning buddies. They are extremely effective.

    When my son was in 6th grade his school started this and no child wanted to be part of it. Finally 6 kids volunteered and by the end of his 7th year there was a waiting list. It became the IN thing to do. Not just for him but all these kids.

    Do this for about 25 years and maybe we will make some progress but it has to be done everywhere and be consistent.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •