View Poll Results: Can you live on Minimum Wage

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 40.54%
  • No

    44 59.46%
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 265

Thread: Can you live on Minimum Wage

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Then if thats the way it should be, then everyone else needs to pay more to the govt to help them ones that cant. Whats the alternative ?
    No, they don't.

    The purpose of a minimum wage should not be, and is not, the minimum wage needed to live a comfortable and simple life on ones own, let alone supporting a family.

    If one is unable or unwilling to get a position above minimum wage then they should be looking into ways to function based on that....search for another minimum wage individual also in a similar situation and rent a place together. Look towards family or friends if one has them. If not, look towards various non-profit groups and organizations where one can potentially meet other individuals. Change ones thinking to looking at perhaps renting a basement or a room from someone rather than having your own two bed room apartment. Etc.

    The only areas of the country where it's likely neigh impossible for the average person to survive on ones own, on 40 total hours of minimum wage work, would likely be your metropolitan time places where the cost of living is drastically higher. Then again, in such a location, the amount of public transpertation, free forms of entertainment and engagement, ability to meet others, and social services provided are also significantly higher as well.

    I also commented based off the notion of no further assistance. Which doesn't exist. We have rent subsidized housing, low income health care programs and subsidized free clinics, food stamp programs, various assistance subsidies with regards to transportation or communication, and it goes on and on.

    I disagree that ALL jobs should pay, at minimum, the amount needed to live a comfortable life for oneself let alone a family. While I do respect the notion that there may be some rational tweaks to it that could be done, such as perhaps accounting for the higher cost of living in some areas, over all I think that the minimum wage is as it should be.

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    You cant live on min wage, you cant live on social security...the average ss check is starting in 2012 is 1232.00 per month...you cant rent an apt in the northeast for that..and pay utils.
    You are not entitled to live in your own apartment by yourself, let alone your own two bedroom apartment as your original link showed.

  3. #63
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    $150 a month for food and toiletries is enough to provide me with what I need for the household.

    Laundry can be done using the $140 a month in extra money I have. $2/week x 4 weeks = $8. Detergent price included in the above.

    I spend less than $300 a year on clothes NOW. Clothes will last if you take care of them. And I can buy cheap clothes at Goodwill, Ross, and other stores within walking distance of the apartment I linked to.

    I can get an eye exam for $70 and glasses for $120....without insurance. So if I save up over the year, I can cover my once yearly exam.

    Dental cleanings can be done for free at local dental schools.

    I can get a $50 physical at a near by clinic, and a free woman's exam at same.

    I can go to CVS and get a free/discounted assessment if I develop many common ailments.

    I never said ANYTHING about the rest of the country, lastly. I specifically and intentionally focused on Texas. I could also probably speak on Indiana and Michigan, since I've lived there and am well versed on COL in both locations...but I wouldn't speak on the east or west coasts. I lived on both only briefly, as a very young child. What I CAN say, though, is that it's pretty dishonest to refer to those west coast states and cite the $7.25 fed minimum wage, when all of those states actually have a higher minimum wage.

    It's $8.00 in California.
    $8.80 in Oregon.
    $9.19 in Washington state.
    Not everyone is you tess..first of all some people work HARD for minumum wage...like my landscaper his boots and clothes arent lasting as long as yours...depending on what you do...bottom line no one can live on minimum wage...
    If the minimum wage was 12 bucks in some areas people couldnt live. and were only talking only about single people...theres lots of parents working for minimum wage..

  4. #64
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Nope, the government should stay out of it. Everyone should reap what the sow.

    Can you point to a single government program that has ever been "properly" managed and has run with efficiency, costliness and without corruption, graft and bloat? If not, they why would you want the government to have even more control of peoples lives? I cannot come up with one, so since the government has show itself to be incapable of properly running anything, I don't want them in everything.
    I disagree but there is no sense in going back and forth over it...you have every right to your opinion

  5. #65
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    To require people to be responsible for themselves, to get an education when they have the opportunity, to work hard so they can have a well-paying job? We shouldn't feel sorry for adults who are stuck in low-paying jobs, we should look at them and say "what the hell is wrong with you?"
    Look conservatives need to get their heads out...and stop living in this lala land where they believe everyone can work hard and go to college and blahblahblahblah...NO not everyone can go to college, no not everyone is bright enough to do college level work...not everyone can possibly afford to go to college...and NO NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE RICH and successful through hard work...that is a big BS story and just talking points for people that dont want to pay any taxs and dont give a chit if they step over bodies in the street

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Not everyone is you tess..first of all some people work HARD for minumum wage...like my landscaper his boots and clothes arent lasting as long as yours...depending on what you do...bottom line no one can live on minimum wage...
    If the minimum wage was 12 bucks in some areas people couldnt live. and were only talking only about single people...theres lots of parents working for minimum wage..
    I disagree. If minimum wage were raised to $12 an hour, the cost of pretty much everything would rise, within a very short time, the ratio of pay to cost would be right back to where it is today. And while this adjustment occurs, since it will affect everyones wages, how many jobs currently still in America end up elsewhere because labor costs are just to high to compete?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #67
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Can you live on minimum wage or even up to 50% more than the minimum wage, before you decide read this article and look the map.
    I am looking for another easier to read graph that shows apt costs in every state which in turn shows that at minimum wage FULL time workers cant pay for an apt
    Also keep in mind most Minimum wage and low wage earners are part timers <walmarts>


    Rent Affordability on Minimum Wage - NYTimes.com
    The people doing that article must not be looking hard enough because in my city you can find a two bedroom apartment all bills paid for about 680 a month.
    http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Oklah...32953&bk=88603
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    True maggie but thats all too many americans can get now..
    And you'd have even less american's getting it if you forced it up to some kind of "living wage" since you'll likely have numerous instances where a place of business either can't afford to hire enough people to actually make it worth while profitability wise and still run the business OR is able to continue to run it bu thas to cut back on the number of employees due to the increased cost of payroll.

    OR I guess you could go the other route and CONTINUE to feed the beast that is the government, deciding to take even more money on the backs of our children's futures, spending even more money we don't have and have no feasable way to tax into existance to help those who honestly are stuck in a bad situation survive AND those who through their own choices and decisions have placed themselves in such a situation continue to sponge off the rest of society with the least amount of effort.

  9. #69
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, they don't.

    The purpose of a minimum wage should not be, and is not, the minimum wage needed to live a comfortable and simple life on ones own, let alone supporting a family.

    If one is unable or unwilling to get a position above minimum wage then they should be looking into ways to function based on that....search for another minimum wage individual also in a similar situation and rent a place together. Look towards family or friends if one has them. If not, look towards various non-profit groups and organizations where one can potentially meet other individuals. Change ones thinking to looking at perhaps renting a basement or a room from someone rather than having your own two bed room apartment. Etc.

    The only areas of the country where it's likely neigh impossible for the average person to survive on ones own, on 40 total hours of minimum wage work, would likely be your metropolitan time places where the cost of living is drastically higher. Then again, in such a location, the amount of public transpertation, free forms of entertainment and engagement, ability to meet others, and social services provided are also significantly higher as well.

    I also commented based off the notion of no further assistance. Which doesn't exist. We have rent subsidized housing, low income health care programs and subsidized free clinics, food stamp programs, various assistance subsidies with regards to transportation or communication, and it goes on and on.

    I disagree that ALL jobs should pay, at minimum, the amount needed to live a comfortable life for oneself let alone a family. While I do respect the notion that there may be some rational tweaks to it that could be done, such as perhaps accounting for the higher cost of living in some areas, over all I think that the minimum wage is as it should be.

    I agree totally that minimum wage is not to live a comfortable life and that its purpose should be...all the conservative arguments I once shared and believe in..25 yrs ago...today is not 25 yrs ago...the rich didnt send all decent paying jobs to china 25 yrs ago and leave nothing but low wage jobs for MANY Americans with no benefits...this is a new time and all the old talking points are garbage.
    Most people do not have full time hours with minimum wage even if they want them...these are people that want to work want to provide for themselves and my have provided for themselves for many years and cant now because they cannot find anything but a minimum wage job.
    All this nicey nice box it and put a bow on it...CRAP...If you work hard you will be successful WRONG that died 20 yrs ago for many people that want to work...Everyone can go to college and better themselves and get rich..WRONG many people cannot because of limitations in intelligence and other factors...
    Its ironic that in every thread about certain topics you can depend on the conservatives on DPF coming in and makeing all the same comments again and again...and they just dont apply anymore.
    This is coming from a man who never collected unemployment in his life, nor was on any type of govt dole and I dont need any now.
    Man I dont know where some of you live that you cant see what I see...just go to walmart and talk to some of those people...that have college educations and thats the only job they can find.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Can you live on minimum wage or even up to 50% more than the minimum wage, before you decide read this article and look the map.
    I am looking for another easier to read graph that shows apt costs in every state which in turn shows that at minimum wage FULL time workers cant pay for an apt
    Also keep in mind most Minimum wage and low wage earners are part timers <walmarts>


    Rent Affordability on Minimum Wage - NYTimes.com
    Not where I live, you can't. And the minimum wage here is about $10/hr. I'm pretty sure that most people who make minimum wage here a) live outside of the city (which is still expensive, but not as much), B) work multiple jobs, and/or C) live with a ****-ton of roommates in cramped environments. Probably some combination of all three of those things.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •