View Poll Results: Can you live on Minimum Wage

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 40.54%
  • No

    44 59.46%
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 265

Thread: Can you live on Minimum Wage

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Too many conservatives confuse profit and greed...theyve become synonomous with business today..a generation before the rich had their own self imposed limits and shared some of the wealth with their workers who made them rich...today its all about me..so you have to force them to share..
    So....nothing at all addressing my points and rather just emotional appeals and typical partisan attacking. Great counter argument.

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Existing is not living...and I stand by in most of the country you cannot live meaning able to pay for all basic necessities...and try being a single mother on minimum wage...
    And here's where I'm admittedly somewhat heartless when talking about a political issue...because frankly allowing emotional overreactions to a few to damage the country as a whole is wrong in my opinion in terms of political thought. And my view on this is similar regardless of which party a particular issue may favor.

    Do I feel for a single mother in such a situation? Absolutely. Does every single mother experience that because of poor decisions on their part? No, they don't. However...the reality is that society should not be promoting such a thing as the baseline, and making sure that such a thing is absolutely comfortably livable is setting it as a baseline. While not everyone in such a situation is there due to their own choices, making it far less sustainable through massive government assistance or mandate deters it.

    The problem with Poverty and other such things is it's a self fulfilling issue. The more you strive to make poverty or bad situations not just livable, but comfortably livable, then the more you promote people being in that condition. Maybe it's a conscious thought, maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's unconsious, maybe it's laziness or perhaps contented ness or possibly bad luck (and the acceptance of that bad luck as being the norm). But however it may be, the more you enhance the "livability" of life in poor situations, the more you encourage those poor situations to propagate and expand.

    The other issue is that actually ELIMINATING those poor situations is an impossibility due to human nature and reality. Our minimum wage is higher than it's ever been. Our amount of public aid, free/subsidized services, and assistance is greater than any time before. And yet we're still at roughly similar (and as you pointed out) higher number than in the past. Despite all our efforts it's not like this has changed and the call is simply for more, more, more.

    No, not all American's are entitled to their own individual two bedroom apartment. No, I disagreed with Bush and the Republicans when they suggested every American deserves a house. Yes, you know what, there are going to be people in ****ty...****ty situations. Some of which completely, or largely, beyond their own control. ANd you know what, I'm in favor of some safety nets for those individuals. My issue however, as clearly evidenced throughout the years and even by your own statements in this thread, is that there is a dishonest and disgusting tactic by some who suggest that if you don't constantly say "MORE, MORE, MORE" that somehow you want none. My issue is that I believe there's a difference between a safety net, something to catch you when you fall to ATTEMPT to climb back up, and simply installing a hammock down there that one can just kind of hang in while it's continually attempted to be raised higher and higher. I disagree, entirely, with this ridiculous and impossible notion of attempting to essentially "eliminate" poverty or assure everyone has some sort of "livable" situation which, based on your description, is actually a comfortable situation sans significant, or even minor, sacrifices or compromises.

    Now...if you want to simply, in a typical intellectually empty manner, decry me as "heartless" or go on some stereotypical hyper partisan anti-conservative rant instead of actually addressing what I say, be my guest. It simply highlights that your arguments is based off nothing but base emotional platitudes without an actual practical political or sociological application. If you disagree on specific points based on actual opinions/views backed by facts and prefer a different identifiable method, or a reason you dislike mine, then that's great. But it's see,img most responses is "grr greedy uncaring conservatives suck. People should be made comfortable because that'd be nice and stuff and well, um, just make 'the rich' pay for it somehow"

  3. #173
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Wanna tell us how everyone does that when there are way more people than there are jobs that pay above minimum wage?
    Clearly, the answer is to force employers to pay people more.....NATURALLY they'll just go "Shucks, alright, guess I'll just have to pay everyone more" and not in any way shape or form look to find a way to mitigate the cuts by either cutting back on hours, cutting back on employees, cutting back on promotions, cutting back on benefits, or some other manner of pay roll re-organization to account for the new required amount of payroll expenditures. That of course wont' have ANY affect on the problem already present in terms of the lack of jobs available.

  4. #174
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Can you live on minimum wage or even up to 50% more than the minimum wage, before you decide read this article and look the map.
    I am looking for another easier to read graph that shows apt costs in every state which in turn shows that at minimum wage FULL time workers cant pay for an apt
    Also keep in mind most Minimum wage and low wage earners are part timers <walmarts>


    Rent Affordability on Minimum Wage - NYTimes.com
    No, and anyone who can't get beyond that barrier needs to reevaluate their work ethic, find better opportunities, or go to school.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #175
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    **** no. No one can live on one minimum wage full time job.


  6. #176
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    **** no. No one can live on one minimum wage full time job.
    Sure they can, especially if they get house mates.

  7. #177
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Nope, I couldn't pull that off and applaud those that do.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  8. #178
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Even if they "cannot" handle going to college for a "college" degree. There are still trade schools. There are skilled jobs, like auto mechanics, that you can go to trade school for or get hired by a local dealer and the company will train you (if you show you have the attitude and aptitude for them to spend the money on you).

    A friend of mine is a welder. He didn't go to college, but instead learned welding at a welding school. He worked hard, became skilled and now qualifies as a master welder who can work pipeline and power plant work. He is around 30 years old now, can earn $40/hr or more and never has problems finding a job (in right to work states, he is not union).

    My brother works as a field service technician for a Caterpillar dealership. He got out of the Air Force, went there to ask what schools he needed to get hired and got hired on the spot. He worked hard, kept a good attitude and was sent to specific schools that he needed (the dealership paid for them). I don't know his exact salary, we never talked about it, but I overheard somewhere around $35/hr. He could probably make more if he moved from the field, but he likes it and makes enough to suit him that he is not interested in moving and since he is good at it, the dealer has no reason to move him.

    There a slew of skilled jobs out there for those who will at least make the effort to become skilled. Welder, mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc, that do not require college. Are you going to end up on the Top Earners list, no, but you can make a damned good living at these trades.
    Heres another secret most of those guys will probaley aspire to their own shop which while not make them extravagantly rich will make them quite comfortable with time and indutriusness.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #179
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,379

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    If it's that nice, why don't you give it a try?
    Been there, done that, not nice at all, But the question was possible, not pleasant.

  10. #180
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Can you live on Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    he lived in a POS apartment complex with door-to-door crack dealers and hookers.

    Thats what "LIVING" on minimum wage gets you

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •