View Poll Results: When do you think the 2nd amendment will be repealed?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • within the year

    1 0.83%
  • next year

    2 1.65%
  • 5

    3 2.48%
  • 5-10

    4 3.31%
  • 10-20

    1 0.83%
  • 20-50

    1 0.83%
  • 50+

    4 3.31%
  • Never, things are fine as is

    60 49.59%
  • Never, too many stupid people in this country

    15 12.40%
  • We should have less gun laws and arm everyone to protect them selves!?!?!?!?

    30 24.79%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 193

Thread: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

  1. #51
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    579

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    So, what measures, in your estimation, do not infringe or encroach on 2nd amendment rights, but are still opposed by the gun lobby?
    I think it is an egregious violation of our rights for the gun lobby to try and pass bills that say you must allow guns on your own private property. IIRC the NRA even attacked a few of its own republican life long NRA members because they choose rights of the property owner over than of someone with a gun on thier property.

    I support gun rights, it actions like this by the gun lobby makes them an enemy of freedom. If I can own property I should be able to tell people they cannot do this or have this on my property without my consent.

    As to when guns should be banned in totality I say never. I am a socialist and the working class needs a recourse beyond that of the law as the law is only effective so long as it is not corrupted.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    As long as you can exercise your right to keep and bear arms, you are being protected by the Second Amendment. As long as the law does not negate that right, anything else could be permissible under the Constitution.
    So by your logic, a complete firearms ban would not violate the 2nd amendment. As long as a legal provision was made that allowed the keeping and bearing of quarterstaves, we could be said to be enjoying our right to keep and bear arms under a complete firearms ban.

    Am I understanding you correctly?

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    So by your logic, a complete firearms ban would not violate the 2nd amendment. As long as a legal provision was made that allowed the keeping and bearing of quarterstaves, we could be said to be enjoying our right to keep and bear arms under a complete firearms ban.

    Am I understanding you correctly?
    No - you do not understand me correctly.

    A complete ban on firearms would negate and destroy the protection to keep and bear arms and thus be the exact meaning of INFRINGED.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    If the government ever came to my home to take my guns, they won't like the result. I would rebel against tyranny, and defend my nation and property from all threats - both foreign and domestic.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No - you do not understand me correctly.

    A complete ban on firearms would negate and destroy the protection to keep and bear arms and thus be the exact meaning of INFRINGED.
    All firearms are arms, but not all arms are firearms. Swords, spears, crossbows, bow and arrow, maces, and quarterstaves are all arms.

    So by your logic, all weapons (including firearms) could be banned except for quarterstaves, and such legislation would not run afoul of the 2nd amendment. As long as people can keep and bear quarterstaves, they can be said to be enjoying their right to keep and bear arms.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    You're nieve if you think people are rational as individuals.

    Regarding your argument how do you explain the statistics?

    Also I care more about those dead kids than your rights to have fun with a gun.
    And once again a "progressive" exposes their disdain for humanity.

    People are overwhelmingly rational. It's how we can have things like personal property and general peace.

  7. #57
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    You're nieve if you think people are rational as individuals.

    Regarding your argument how do you explain the statistics?

    Also I care more about those dead kids than your rights to have fun with a gun.
    Since you 'care' so much why is it that the only time you, people like you, or this issue surfaces is when it involves a tragic mass event and not the day to day shootings that occur in every major city, amongst gangs, etc. Why arent you out there attacking the 'real' problems? As tragic as the school shooting is, the number of people in mass shootings will pale by comparison to day to day violence...so...where you at? Why arent you addressing the 'real' problems? Why arent you insisting the government lead more crusades against gangs and violent criminals?

    Always with you it is attack the inanimate. Blame the gun. Hell...how many movies and TV shows does Hollywood make glorifying gun violence? How many of those same Hollywood lefties that claim to hate guns get off on playing characters that are 'badass' gun totin types? How many video games are gun related, shoot em up mass shooting type bloodfests? Why arent we clamoring for an end to their production? Society creates monsters, then blame the instrument the monster uses.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    If we have a string of fatal stabbings, are we going to ban knives? Do I eat steak with my bare hands then?

  9. #59
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    50 more mass murders... there weren't even 50 mass shootings this year. But here is a map of them. I googled it so you don't have to.

    140 people were murderers... and they obtained over half of their weapons legally. 140 people out of 100+mil people who own guns. Do you know what that is?
    100.000.000/140 = 0.000001%

    That is how many bad people who own guns were this year. So that means that 99.9999% gun owners are responsible people. Not the 30-40% that you were talking about. And you can be thankful i didn't slice that 140 people down because only half the weapons were legally obtained. But I said that everybody had legally obtained guns to boost your "reality".

    A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones

    Ok, so, this is the map of the mass shootings that happened this year.
    That map isn't for this year. It covers mass shootings since 1982 and over that period some gun owners have passed away and others have become owners so the number of owners to consider is even higher than the 100 million you used which makes the percentage even less.

    The horror of this situation is much like that of a plane crash. People see a big number pop up all at once and it freaks them out while the reality is that on the whole we are a very safe society.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    All firearms are arms, but not all arms are firearms. Swords, spears, crossbows, bow and arrow, maces, and quarterstaves are all arms.

    So by your logic, all weapons (including firearms) could be banned except for quarterstaves, and such legislation would not run afoul of the 2nd amendment. As long as people can keep and bear quarterstaves, they can be said to be enjoying their right to keep and bear arms.
    No. That is your logic. I never said what you just said.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •