View Poll Results: When do you think the 2nd amendment will be repealed?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • within the year

    1 0.83%
  • next year

    2 1.65%
  • 5

    3 2.48%
  • 5-10

    4 3.31%
  • 10-20

    1 0.83%
  • 20-50

    1 0.83%
  • 50+

    4 3.31%
  • Never, things are fine as is

    60 49.59%
  • Never, too many stupid people in this country

    15 12.40%
  • We should have less gun laws and arm everyone to protect them selves!?!?!?!?

    30 24.79%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 193

Thread: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

  1. #31
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Here I agree, and should our society be allowed to have so many guns, in this condition ?
    I'd say maybe 30% are responsible and sane enough for gun ownership.
    No to all the others...
    Its insane to allow the even partially insane to own guns.
    So 70% of the population is insane in your opinion? Where are you getting these stats, and why do you think you should have to ability to be judge and jury when doling out constitutional rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    The US ranks one of the highest in gun related deaths in the world, and of the top developed countries the highest.

    Just google "gun related deaths by country" and find your own sources so as not to include my bias.

    How long will it take before a law that's out dated by over 200 years be repealed?

    The founding fathers had the intention of arming their militia against the British.
    I hope never. My desire is to push the Republic back towards being a Republic based on the rights and liberties of the individual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yet more proof that haymarket is an ardent advocate for our right to keep and bear arms and staunch supporter of the second amendment.
    There is a significant and qualitative difference between being a supporter of the Second Amendment and being a toadie, sycophant and general buttboy for the gun lobby. We all would do well to remember that reality.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There is a significant and qualitative difference between being a supporter of the Second Amendment and being a toadie, sycophant and general buttboy for the gun lobby. We all would do well to remember that reality.
    and what, in your estimation, is the significant difference?

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    and what, in your estimation, is the significant difference?
    I thought that was self evident. I am frankly surprised you do not know the difference.

    One can indeed support the right to keep and bear arms without swallowing and then regurgitating the gun lobby line on extremist interpretations of the Second Amendment viewing every little thing as some huge INFRINGEMENT or ENCROACHMENT when it in reality does not deny anyone the right to keep and bear arms.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I thought that was self evident. I am frankly surprised you do not know the difference.

    One can indeed support the right to keep and bear arms without swallowing and then regurgitating the gun lobby line on extremist interpretations of the Second Amendment viewing every little thing as some huge INFRINGEMENT or ENCROACHMENT when it in reality does not deny anyone the right to keep and bear arms.
    you are surprised that I am unable to read your mind?.... you really shouldn't be... I can tell you, with a high degree of accuracy, that my mind reading skills are subpar.

    your explanation is bereft of specifics... you mention "gun lobby line" and "extremist interpretations", but never illuminate exactly what you are talking about.

    what measures, in your estimation, do not infringe or encroach on 2nd amendment rights, but are still opposed by the gun lobby?

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    you are surprised that I am unable to read your mind?.... you really shouldn't be... I can tell you, with a high degree of accuracy, that my mind reading skills are subpar.

    your explanation is bereft of specifics... you mention "gun lobby line" and "extremist interpretations", but never illuminate exactly what you are talking about.

    what measures, in your estimation, do not infringe or encroach on 2nd amendment rights, but are still opposed by the gun lobby?
    My thoughts on this issue are based on a reading of what I believe the average American thinks about the issue. It could be right or wrong or partially right or partially wrong, but it is based on 63 years as an American.

    I believe that most people want the right to keep and bear arms. They want this for personal protection, for home protection, for business protection, or for sport and recreational use. As such, they distinguish between firearms that are necessary to do that and powerful weapons often described by some as military or assault weapons. And please spare me and all of us a pedantic discussion about how to define such things.

    People will support reasonable things that protect the right and also do not simply allow technology to dictate our size and scope of weaponry.

    I really do NOT think the average person has a firearm to aid them when they have to someday fight a totalitarian government house by house and block by block in the streets of America. Sorry. That is a delusional paranoid mental construct of those on the far right and their use of it to justify matching the military and police in weaponry is just BS of the worst sort.

    The NRA and the gun lobby has falsely interpreted the Second Amendment to mean that any limit at all on arms is unconstitutional. Please look up the meaning of the word INFRINGED as it was used 200 years ago.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-co...-194-a-48.html
    see posts #476 and 483

    It DID NOT mean what the nra wants it to mean to them today. INFRINGED meant a destruction of the right...... not any incremental obligation it might place upon in regards to use of firearms.

    As long as the NRA insists on that erroneous and false interpretation of the term, the enitre issue is hopelessly skewed in their favor. I do not think the average American accepts that false interpretation.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-17-12 at 11:55 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #38
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    My thoughts on this issue are based on a reading of what I believe the average American thinks about the issue. It could be right or wrong or partially right or partially wrong, but it is based on 63 years as an American.

    I believe that most people want the right to keep and bear arms. They want this for personal protection, for home protection, for business protection, or for sport and recreational use. As such, they distinguish between firearms that are necessary to do that and powerful weapons often described by some as military or assault weapons. And please spare me and all of us a pedantic discussion about how to define such things.

    People will support reasonable things that protect the right and also do not simply allow technology to dictate our size and scope of weaponry.

    I really do NOT think the average person has a firearm to aid them when they have to someday fight a totalitarian government house by house and block by block in the streets of America. Sorry. That is a delusional paranoid mental construct of those on the far right and their use of it to justify matching the military and police in weaponry is just BS of the worst sort.

    The NRA and the gun lobby has falsely interpreted the Second Amendment to mean that any limit at all on arms is unconstitutional. Please look up the meaning of the word INFRINGED as it was used 200 years ago.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-co...-194-a-48.html
    see posts #476 and 483

    It DID NOT mean what the nra wants it to mean to them today. INFRINGED meant a destruction of the right...... not any incremental obligation it might place upon in regards to use of firearms.

    As long as the NRA insists on that erroneous and false interpretation of the term, the enitre issue is hopelessly skewed in their favor. I do not think the average American accepts that false interpretation.
    The NRA are a bunch of gun-control loving pussies.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #39
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    You're nieve if you think people are rational as individuals.

    Regarding your argument how do you explain the statistics?

    Also I care more about those dead kids than your rights to have fun with a gun.
    I'm not sure how persuasive a person that can't spell "naive" right and uses improper grammar will be.

    According to the poll, not very.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post

    I believe that most people want the right to keep and bear arms. They want this for personal protection, for home protection, for business protection, or for sport and recreational use. As such, they distinguish between firearms that are necessary to do that and powerful weapons often described by some as military or assault weapons. And please spare me and all of us a pedantic discussion about how to define such things.
    i agree that most people want the right to keep and bear arms... but we we begin to part ways is where you decide that definition don't matter.
    it's really not my problem that you find definition inconvenient or whatever....it is not my fault that factual information does not support your arguments.
    a cure to a great many ills is education... factual and accurate information
    you are correct that people tend to differentiate between military styled weapons and other "regular weapons.... where you err is in propagating myths surrounding those .
    for instance.. all this talk about "high powered assault rifles" and such... it sure sounds scary to claim such things are true.. but if we are being honest and truthful, we'll find that perceptions do not match reality.
    for an example... most folks will not want to ban Remington 700 rifles.. it's the worlds most popular hunting rifle after all.... they also happen to be more powerful than any "assault weapon".
    that is not perception speaking or political agenda.. it is simple physics.

    anyways, now we know you are uninterested in factual and accurate information.. we can move along.


    People will support reasonable things that protect the right and also do not simply allow technology to dictate our size and scope of weaponry.
    yes, people will support reasonable things..... unfortunately, there is no universal standard of "reasonbale" and quite often, unreasonable things are sold as being reasonable or sensible.

    I really do NOT think the average person has a firearm to aid them when they have to someday fight a totalitarian government house by house and block by block in the streets of America. Sorry. That is a delusional paranoid mental construct of those on the far right and their use of it to justify matching the military and police in weaponry is just BS of the worst sort.
    you are entitled to this opinion... but you must acknowledge that it is not born from factual information...
    history is rife with scenarios that shows your opinion to be quite ignorant.
    The NRA and the gun lobby has falsely interpreted the Second Amendment to mean that any limit at all on arms is unconstitutional. Please look up the meaning of the word INFRINGED as it was used 200 years ago.
    this is factually incorrect....
    1st, you have been utterly unsuccessful in showing how the NRA's interpretation is in err....
    2nd, the NRA does not oppose any or all limits, they have even authored and lobbied for gun control measures...ans they have supported measures authored by others
    .3rd,I can find no corroboration to your claim that the definition of "infringed" has changed in 200 years.

    you quite literary struck out 3 times in one at bat.

    It DID NOT mean what the nra wants it to mean to them today. INFRINGED meant a destruction of the right...... not any incremental obligation it might place upon in regards to use of firearms.
    you keep insisting the definition has undergone a radical change that is being ignored by the gun lobby, yet you never prove it.... your word is insufficient proof of ..well.. anything.

    As long as the NRA insists on that erroneous and false interpretation of the term, the entire issue is hopelessly skewed in their favor. I do not think the average American accepts that false interpretation.
    I have been utterly unsuccessful on corroborating your claim that the NRA erroneously or falsely interprets the 2nd amendment.. you have been unsuccessful in providing factual information to substantiate your claim..... your argument is riding on the thinnest of ice here, dude.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •