View Poll Results: When do you think the 2nd amendment will be repealed?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • within the year

    1 0.83%
  • next year

    2 1.65%
  • 5

    3 2.48%
  • 5-10

    4 3.31%
  • 10-20

    1 0.83%
  • 20-50

    1 0.83%
  • 50+

    4 3.31%
  • Never, things are fine as is

    60 49.59%
  • Never, too many stupid people in this country

    15 12.40%
  • We should have less gun laws and arm everyone to protect them selves!?!?!?!?

    30 24.79%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 193

Thread: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

  1. #141
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It always has been an individual right. The court just upheld it.
    For two full centuries of American jurisprudence , no Supreme Court or even a Federal Court that I am aware of ever ruled that the Second Amendment was a individual right apart from any consideration with the language about the militia.

    If I am in error I would be happy to be corrected and read the appropriate legal decision which says otherwise.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I never blame the victim, nor do I know that had she been without guns her son still wouldn't have killed her.



    Hooked? Hooked on what? What a baseless non-sequitur. Freedom isn't safe, but I challenge you to prove on quantify my risk.



    Any source for your claim that gun ownership is going down because of perceived increased risk? Or is this another one of your baseless assertions?
    Your hooked on guns, you have swallowed the kool-aid and not even your increased risk of gun violence will change that. Others are more thoughtful and logical.
    Like these people in New Jersey who gave up their guns because they realize they are safer without them.

    CAMDEN, NJ Residents of New Jersey's most impoverished and murder-prone city turned in a record number of weapons in a recent gun buyback program, and officials on Tuesday surmised that the Connecticut school shooting could have something to do with that.

    "A lot of people said they don't want the guns around the house now," said state Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa as he announced the result of the program held Friday and Saturday at two Camden churches.

    The state brought in 1,137 guns, surpassing the previous record of 700 weapons from a 2009 Essex County event. Among them were scores of rifles, shotguns and pistols, sawed-off shotguns, a century-old antique weapon, a rifle used for hunting elephants and five fully automatic weapons. Some 90 percent were in working condition. Many were illegal weapons under state laws; some were so-called community guns stashed around neighborhood. Nearly all are to be destroyed
    Record setting weekend for New Jersey's gun buyback program in wake of Newtown massacre - NYPOST.com

    The number of households owning guns has declined from almost 50% in 1973 to just over 32% in 2010, according to a 2011 study produced by The University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center. The number of gun owners has gone down almost 10% over the same period, the report found
    Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com

  3. #143
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Your hooked on guns, you have swallowed the kool-aid and not even your increased risk of gun violence will change that. Others are more thoughtful and logical.
    You say baseless crap like this then proceed to talk about being thoughtful and logical? What kool-aid? Are you completely ignorant of the facts regarding the failures of gun control, and how CCW effects crime rates?

    There is no increased chance if you take suicide out of the picture, but no amount of facts will change your mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Like these people in New Jersey who gave up their guns because they realize they are safer without them.
    Record setting weekend for New Jersey's gun buyback program in wake of Newtown massacre - NYPOST.com
    Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com
    So then that's a no on sourcing your baseless claim that gun ownership is going down because of perceived increased risk?

    Citing a source that states that gun ownership is going down doesn't do that, not to mention that I already knew this.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 12-24-12 at 04:47 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    You say baseless crap like this then proceed to talk about being thoughtful and logical? What kool-aid? Are you completely ignorant of the facts regarding the failures of gun control, and how CCW effects crime rates?

    There is no increased chance if you take suicide out of the picture, but no amount of facts will change your mind.



    So then that's a no on sourcing your baseless claim that gun ownership is going down because of perceived increased risk?

    Citing a source that states that gun ownership is going down doesn't do that, not to mention that I already knew this.
    Calling accredited studies "baseless crap" is typical among Kool-aid drinkers. I am not surprised.
    Guns in the Home Provide Greater Health Risk Than BenefitApr. 28, 2011 — Despite the fact that nearly one-third of American households have a firearm, studies show that having a gun in the home poses a household a greater health risk than a potential benefit. A new study released in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine examined scientific research on both sides of the debate to put hard numbers to this on-going discussion.

    Author David Hemenway studied the various risks of having a gun in the home, including accidents, suicide, homicide, and intimidation. Additionally, the benefits of having a firearm in a household were also examined and those benefits included deterrence, and thwarting crimes (self-defense). From this in-depth look, it was concluded that homes with guns were not safer or deter more crime than those that do not. In fact, it was found that in homes with children or women, the health risks were even greater.

    "Whereas most men are murdered away from home," wrote Hemenway. "Most children, older adults, and women are murdered at home. A gun in the home is a particularly strong risk factor for female homicide victimization."
    Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit

  5. #145
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    You're still not backing up your claim, you're just posting irrelevant links now.

    No causal link between fear and disarming. Done w/ you.

    Also, I don't care about your risks or fears, freedom isn't safe nor is it for the cowardly.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #146
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    You're nieve if you think people are rational as individuals.

    Regarding your argument how do you explain the statistics?

    Also I care more about those dead kids than your rights to have fun with a gun.
    It seems to me that you shiang are the naive one for the following reasons: (A)You lack proper grammar skills, since you cannot properly spell NAIVE, (B)You do not understand statistics, since statistics are not cold hard truth, but merely inferential means of displaying data accumulated from an experiment, observational study, etc. (C) What on God's green Earth makes you think that repeal of our civil liberties will make you safer? How on Earth do you fail to understand that criminals are CRIMINALS because they BREAK the law and will never abide the law no matter what it is.

  7. #147
    User BMC COOLBEANS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Last Seen
    09-15-16 @ 04:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the one that got rid of gun free school zones
    Agreed. What i meant was, what restrictions would have stopped it.
    I perceive that, when an acorn and a chestnut fall side by side, the one does not remain inert to make way for the other, but both obey their own laws, and spring and grow and flourish as best they can, till one, perchance, overshadows and destroys the other. If a plant cannot live according to nature, it dies; and so a man. - Henry David Thoreau -

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    For two full centuries of American jurisprudence , no Supreme Court or even a Federal Court that I am aware of ever ruled that the Second Amendment was a individual right apart from any consideration with the language about the militia.

    If I am in error I would be happy to be corrected and read the appropriate legal decision which says otherwise.
    You don't need a court to know the truth. Just need to know your history and what the Founders had to say on the subject. Since you're suppose to be a Constitutional Scholar on the subject you should be well aware of this.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #149
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    How about the right to walk down the street without a fear of being shot ?
    And these law-abiding "sane" men, are they 20% of the population ? 40% ?....
    A law with teeth in it will have an effect on the criminals.....
    There is no such thing as freedom from "fear". And human beings can be afraid of a lot of things.

    I assume in most situations that the sane part of the population is 99+%. When we are talking about the shooter that are insane we are talking about outliners.

    If you are talking about having laws that have penalties for misusing a weapon, that is in commission of a crime, then I would agree. However if you mean that the general populace would have to abide further restrictions on gun ownership then I would have to disagree.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  10. #150
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: How long will it take to repeal the 2nd amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    Number of murders by guns do not matter, the only thing that matters is number of murders total, regardless of what was used. When you look at actual murders, the US ranks

    Being below average is acceptable?
    Also if you look at more developed regions of the world such as Europe or Asia we look even worse.

    I agree with the bettering society part. Lets begin with not allowing guns to be privately owned unless there presents a need. If you want to go hunt, you should go to a gun licensed range where guns are less accessible to those who wish to do harm. Not that I think killing animals for sport is all that glamorous to begin with.
    Of course other nations are careful to exclude firearms deaths by LEOs and other government officials (special police forces like the DEA). Try getting info on actual homicides by firearms in the US and you have your work cut out for you.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •