View Poll Results: Would you support more restrictions on guns if they had the potential to save lives?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 42.65%
  • No

    102 50.00%
  • Others

    15 7.35%
Page 80 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1703

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #791
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun Control

    Oh BTW Haymarket, if i were intending to assassinate a politician after a war against guns was launched as opposed to defending myself against gangs, active shooters or looters I would use a far different weapon. an "assault weapon" whatever that may be is not ideal for taking out a politician who is surrounded by armed guards. For that, the best weapon is say a Lazzeroni War Bird or a Barrett 50 or an AI 300 Mag. stuff that you can make head shots at long distances with or stuff that is so powerful that it will blow right through body armor 800M out.

    those weapons have almost no self defense use against criminals.

    In case your are interested (since I doubt you have ever heard of a Lazzeroni) I have included a link of some of their current rifles. they cost a lot of money and take months to get



    Lazzeroni Rifles

  2. #792
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Bob and weave, homey.
    their goal is to harass gun owners mainly because most gun owners are not far lefties

    as long as they think a law will harass us they will support it and that is why they cannot rationally explain why a law they want will diminish crime

    CRIME CONTROL PLAYS NOT ROLE IN WHAT MOTIVATES THEM

  3. #793
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,306

    Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite as a selective fire rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the AR-15 design to Colt. The select-fire AR-15 entered the US military system as the M16 rifle. Colt then marketed the Colt AR-15 as a semi-automatic version of the M16 rifle for civilian sales in 1963
    H.Lee and me are on the same page. I have at least 8 firearm books. I know Eugene Stoner and I have written papers on Browning (my favorite designer I believe). I will agree to disagree with you.

    The relevant question in this thread is: do you think we as civilians should be allowed to own them? The AR 15 semi automatic. Or a fully automatic rifle built around the AR platform or any other Platform? I believe in the class 3 license we have right now for full autos. I think that is done.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #794
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,834

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, as you want it to be. My point is that your point is in oppostion to what it actually means, and SCOTUS agrees with me.



    This is nonsensical. Anything other than "full use of" is infringement.
    According to the modern twist supplied by the gun lobby it well may be. According to the working definition employed at the time - it means nothing of the kind.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #795
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,834

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Not as you would have it infringed.
    I have never advocated any measure by the government that would have it INFRINGED.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #796
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,834

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If there were no cops, he would be as much a cop as the currently existing ones are. As would you and I.
    And if you and I had wings we would not need cars.

    A cop does NOT have the weapons they have because of the Second Amendment. Cops all over the world in all sorts of countries bear weapons in nations where people have no right to keep and bear arms. But they do it for the same reason as American cops do it - because it is part of the equipment needed to do the job.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #797
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have never advocated any measure by the government that would have it INFRINGED.
    that is because anything short of a complete ban on someone being able to own even one gun, you claim is not an infringement.

  8. #798
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And if you and I had wings we would not need cars.

    A cop does NOT have the weapons they have because of the Second Amendment. Cops all over the world in all sorts of countries bear weapons in nations where people have no right to keep and bear arms. But they do it for the same reason as American cops do it - because it is part of the equipment needed to do the job.
    so tell us why other civilians-when facing a lethal criminal attack-often of more serious nature than that of a cop,-should not be allowed to have a weapon as effective as that of a police officer

    Is your answer

    1) police are more valuable than say store owners

    2) store owners are more likely to misuse such a weapon


    it has to be one or the other

    which is it

  9. #799
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,834

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is because anything short of a complete ban on someone being able to own even one gun, you claim is not an infringement.
    I would never support a complete ban on guns as it would violate the Second Amendment.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #800
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,834

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so tell us why other civilians-when facing a lethal criminal attack-often of more serious nature than that of a cop,-should not be allowed to have a weapon as effective as that of a police officer

    Is your answer

    1) police are more valuable than say store owners

    2) store owners are more likely to misuse such a weapon


    it has to be one or the other

    which is it
    You are not listening.

    What it is is simple: a police officer has the weapons he has NOT to exercise any Constitutional right - but to do a professional job they are hired to do.

    You, me, all other civilians are NOT professional police officers. As such, we have no right to the make aclaim to have the same weaponry as a police officer does because that weaponry has not a darn thing to do with the second amendment and the exercise of it.

    As such, your argument is a political one and NOT a Constitutional one. You are entitled to it. But it is not a Constitutional argument nor a legal one. It is a political one based on envy of the weaponry carried by professional police officers performing their job.

    It has NOTHING at all to do with value judgments about who is more valuable. That is silly and irrelevant as that is NOT why officers have the weapons.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •