View Poll Results: Would you support more restrictions on guns if they had the potential to save lives?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 42.65%
  • No

    102 50.00%
  • Others

    15 7.35%
Page 17 of 171 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1703

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #161
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The majority of gun deaths are in fact suicides. Some are cops killing perps, some are citizens killing perps. They should not be counted when considering homicides.

    Gun murders are about 10,000 per year.... same as stabbing deaths....

    Context is what you missed Goshin. My post to Lachean was to show an apples to apples comparison of the total deaths (30,000) resulting from gunshot wounds to the total deaths (10,000) that resulted from knife wounds.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Will America suffice?

    How many knife related deaths occur in the USA each year? | ChaCha

    "About 10,000 people die a year from stabbings."
    ....................
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #162
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Your point?
    emotion should override our rights

  3. #163
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Wow. This link is interesting.

    “For all the attention given to America’s culture of guns, ownership of firearms is at or near all-time lows,” writes political scientist Patrick Egan. The decline is most evident on the General Social Survey, though it also shows up on polling from Gallup, as you can see on this graph:



    Six facts about guns, violence, and gun control
    I read that site earlier today. Most people have no pratical purpose for a gun. I think that plays more than anything else today.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #164
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Banning guns in this country will only come about if more reasonable measures are not enacted to reduce the number of massacres in this country.
    in other words, if we gun owners don't accept idiotic laws gun haters like catawba want, he and his ilk will ban them. Good luck with that. Nothing you have ever proposed concerning guns is reasonable

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Always the conspiracy? Are we desensitized?
    I a merely reciting what the Washington Post said was the main reason for the gun ban-to desensitize people so they will accept further bans. and yes, there is a conspiracy. it starts with disgusting turds in office using emotion to convince the weak minded that gun bans are to make people safer

  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I read that site earlier today. Most people have no pratical purpose for a gun. I think that plays more than anything else today.
    your definition of what is practical has no relevance nor logic behind it. that is as stupid as saying most people have no practical purpose for fire insurance, or golf clubs for that matter

  7. #167
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Now try addressing what I actually said:
    You say after not addressing my post. You hypocrites sure are funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Banning guns in this country will only come about if more reasonable measures are not enacted to reduce the number of massacres in this country."

    Responsible gun owners can either help implement measures that will help reduce massacres of innocent people or face broader gun control as our society evolves.
    That sounds like a threat to me, sounds to me like "Do what we say or we'll do worse."
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #168
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: Gun Control

    The Onion should do a piece on Sith Lords + Vader seeking a laser ban. Just sayin'. (im not saying American politicians are Sith Lords) Damn Rebel scum.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #169
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Wow. This link is interesting.

    For all the attention given to America’s culture of guns, ownership of firearms is at or near all-time lows,” writes political scientist Patrick Egan. The decline is most evident on the General Social Survey, though it also shows up on polling from Gallup, as you can see on this graph:



    Six facts about guns, violence, and gun control
    That sounds kind of fishy.


    Considering this article was written in 2007 then that means there is almost 300 million firearms in the hands of private citizens.
    U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people | Reuters
    The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

    U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

    About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Banning guns in this country will only come about if more reasonable measures are not enacted to reduce the number of massacres in this country."

    Responsible gun owners can either help implement measures that will help reduce massacres of innocent people or face broader gun control as our society evolves.
    Part of this I posted this in another thread, it is however applicable to this thread, and apparently some have not seen it.

    The Constitution grants ownership of weapons. Without a Constitutional amendment, it is not legal to pass laws taking peoples guns away without there being a specific cause, such as mental defect or conviction of a felony. Further, the Constitution prohibits, Ex Post Facto laws, meaning any law can only be carried forward, it cannot be back dated, therefore anyone already owning guns prior to the passing of said law/Amendment would still be allowed ownership. Therefore, any law demanding the seizure of legally owned guns would be illegal and unconstitutional.

    Would I fight to defend my right to own a gun?

    No, I would do it for others to have legal ownership. I don't expect to personally survive the experience should such circumstances ever occur. They may in the future, but I don't see them occurring during my lifetime. One reason I don't believe so is that due to the question of constitutionality, any such law would immediately have an injunction placed against it prior to it being enforced and that it would only be lifted once the Supreme Court has ruled. I would probably, with the exception of my personal defense gun, hide all others to avoid their confiscation until the Supreme Court has ruled.

    I have in the past given an oath that I still try to live by, that being "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic". It is every citizens right, I would say duty, to support and defend the constitution. If constitutional amendments were somehow made that striped away not only the Right to Bear arms but also preventing Ex Post Facto, then I would either fight, if I was able, or leave. I could not be part of any society that would allow Ex Post Facto law to exist.

    Responsible gun owners have been trying for a longtime now to "implement measures that will help reduce massacres of innocent people". We have been trying to free up ours and others ability to have the means to effectively defend themselves and others.

    As I pointed out in another post (to which you didn't respond on the subject) the only proven way to reduce violent crimes and murders is to expand gun ownership and laws that allow for greater self defense and defense of others. Have you now figured out another way, since we know that guns are not going away, at least not anytime soon? If you have, Please share it.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •