2. All states become shall-issue states for concealed firearms permits. Make it easier for average Joe to get a permit. Concealed weapons in the public do nothing but good, I think you'd agree.
3. Take a look at gun-free zones. I agree, these areas are targets because shooters don't expect to be shot at before they get some of their work done. Schools should not be gun-free. If a gun is carried, especially in a school, I'd think about maybe requiring it to be concealed, and provide state or federal funding for training interested teachers in firearm use. In my opinion, a school should be a bit of a sanctuary from reality, a place for kids to prepare themselves for real life, without having to engage in the worst-of-the-worst. At the same time, we need to defend our kids, and I think this is a better option than placing guards at every school. Heck, maybe require every school have at least a given percentage of teachers trained in firearm use.
4. Increase the amount of background checks on individuals trying to obtain weapons from gun shops. It might not make a large difference, but for those stupid few who try to get guns from a shop, and have a criminal background or history of mental instability, we should be aware of them. I remember the Virginia Tech shooter got a gun from a shop, and the owner remarked that he looked pretty clean-cut. Give gun shop owners the discretion, maybe a mandate to report people who fail background checks (depending on how many former criminals/unstable people try to get weapons).
5. If there's one thing I've learned from researching gun control laws, it's that we don't have conclusive evidence for a nuanced approach. We know outright bans on guns 1. don't work and 2. aren't constitutional, but that's pretty basic, and pretty obvious. I'd like to see a the states conduct research on their specific situations, and see what we get.
6. There are weapons out there that no citizen needs to carry. I heard that in a buy-back program in New York, IIRC, 2 rocket launchers turned up. Now, that is very clearly unnecessary, to most sane people. The extreme right-wing needs to shut up and sit down, because no one's interested in wasting time in taking a bunch of rifles from some hillbillies. On the flip side, I can't stand the "assault weapon" stuff of the left. I think Democrats really need to educate themselves on this subject, and at least learn how to say "sig-sauer."