View Poll Results: Would you support more restrictions on guns if they had the potential to save lives?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 42.65%
  • No

    102 50.00%
  • Others

    15 7.35%
Page 138 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1703

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #1371
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,635

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    is that your view or is that an official binding legal ruling held across the land?
    Yes, that is my view. Are you making some point, or just babbling?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #1372
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,915

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    That post has no answers at all, other than your suggestion that I research various state laws. Thanks for nothing.

    If you are proposing universal background checks, you can at least have the decency to explain how your proposed system would work.

    I'm just sayin'. The fact that you are being evasive sends up all sorts of red flags about your proposal.
    I pointed you in the right direction. Now all you have to do is find out how it works in those states. Asking me is rather silly as I am not the legal authorities in those states and have no working knowledge of the procedures.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #1373
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,915

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yes, that is my view. Are you making some point, or just babbling?
    Why are you being insulting? All I was doing is trying to find out if you were stating your own personal opinion based on your own personal belief system supporting your own personal political view or if you were providing an official legal principle that is beyond dispute and is considered as fact.

    Thank you for making it crystal clear that it is only your own opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #1374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I pointed you in the right direction. Now all you have to do is find out how it works in those states. Asking me is rather silly as I am not the legal authorities in those states and have no working knowledge of the procedures.
    You're the one proposing a federal law requiring background checks on personal transfers. If you can't be bothered to explain how your proposal would actually work, then don't expect to be taken seriously.

  5. #1375
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,915

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    You're the one proposing a federal law requiring background checks on personal transfers. If you can't be bothered to explain how your proposal would actually work, then don't expect to be taken seriously.
    I am not the one proposing a law. Others are the ones proposing the law. They know the details. It is not my proposal. I merely did what others here have done - endorse the general idea and not a specific piece of legislation. As I have carefully and slowly explained to you in the past, the devil is always in the details and while there are things I may support as a general idea, they have to be later examined for those same details to determine if the support is still there.

    There is a difference between the two. Do you understand the difference between expressing general support for an idea and authoring a specific proposal for a piece legislation in which one also authors the details and mechanics of it?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1376
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,635

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why are you being insulting? All I was doing is trying to find out if you were stating your own personal opinion based on your own personal belief system supporting your own personal political view or if you were providing an official legal principle that is beyond dispute and is considered as fact.

    Thank you for making it crystal clear that it is only your own opinion.
    You are posting, simply to be posting, which is silly, and certainly requires no reply with quote.

    Here is your clue: when I am refering to a law, or "fact" I tend to post supporting links. Most of your posts, as this babble that I am replying to, are simply your opinion and are intended to rile or bait; not to make any point, or convey any information, they are simply intended to egg on a poster. You are, normally, far to clever to get sufficiently blatant, in that regard, to receive a warning, yet persist in using this tactic. Much of the comentary on a political debate website is of the nature of personal opinion; why else would we be here? Please refrain from replying with quote to my posts, if you offer no opinion, information or counter argument. I have yet to employ the ignore option, yet will look into its use. To convey the simple message of "thank you", for a reply, most simply use the "like" feature; try it and you (and I) might like it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #1377
    User Nordenkalt444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So that stuff about, hey look at Switzerland, you didn't really mean?
    Lol what? We should have less gun restrictions, Switzerland is an example of a country with little restriction.

  8. #1378
    User Nordenkalt444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Switzerland actually has the system we used to have. They have a real ****ing militia! So you are ready to sign up for government service to get your military issue rifle?
    No to be honest I had no idea that Switzerland has compulsory military service, Israel does and they also have a low crime rate.

  9. #1379
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,915

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You are posting, simply to be posting, which is silly, and certainly requires no reply with quote.

    Here is your clue: when I am refering to a law, or "fact" I tend to post supporting links. Most of your posts, as this babble that I am replying to, are simply your opinion and are intended to rile or bait; not to make any point, or convey any information, they are simply intended to egg on a poster. You are, normally, far to clever to get sufficiently blatant, in that regard, to receive a warning, yet persist in using this tactic. Much of the comentary on a political debate website is of the nature of personal opinion; why else would we be here? Please refrain from replying with quote to my posts, if you offer no opinion, information or counter argument. I have yet to employ the ignore option, yet will look into its use. To convey the simple message of "thank you", for a reply, most simply use the "like" feature; try it and you (and I) might like it.
    Baiting is a violation here. I assume you know what to do about it.

    Discussing the merits of an issue and posing questions is not baiting. Plenty have found out the hard way.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1380
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    You're the one proposing a federal law requiring background checks on personal transfers. If you can't be bothered to explain how your proposal would actually work, then don't expect to be taken seriously.
    I favor this proposal, its even surprising that it is not in effect now..I'd tie it in with a national ID system (immigration status, medical, gun ownership, vehicle operation).
    How to do this ?
    Ask Europe, they are probably 20-40 years ahead of us on this one....they pay the innovation price, and we learn from their mistakes.
    The key is "learning".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •