View Poll Results: Would you support more restrictions on guns if they had the potential to save lives?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 42.65%
  • No

    102 50.00%
  • Others

    15 7.35%
Page 136 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1703

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #1351
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    If there were no illegal drug dealing in the USA I can guarantee we'd have far less crime
    A lot of law enforcement agencies, judicial professionals, as well as the prison industry is making a lot of money and creating a lot of jobs keeping drugs illegal. What's a few dead bodies here and there?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #1352
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    A lot of law enforcement agencies, judicial professionals, as well as the prison industry is making a lot of money and creating a lot of jobs keeping drugs illegal. What's a few dead bodies here and there?
    you'd be surprised how many prosecutors and high level cops agree with you

    I do

  3. #1353
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you'd be surprised how many prosecutors and high level cops agree with you

    I do
    And you sir might be surprised how many prosecutors I work with on a daily basis and how many high level cops I fish, drink beer and sit in lodge with. <wink>

    I only party with the best. I got friends in low places.... LOL!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #1354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    While you are betting, what are the odds that I can buy a gun at a gun show without a background check?
    Do you see that as a problem that you would like the federal government to address?

  5. #1355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So I do have to go through a background check when I purchase a gun at a gun show?
    Do you support background checks for all private purchases?

  6. #1356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is first important to establish what MAY happen before one can consider what SHOULD happen. It is an important part of the process.
    Yes, of course. So now that you have established what the federal government MAY do, what do you think the federal government SHOULD do?

  7. #1357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gun Control

    Background checks are an excellent opportunity for both sides to come together.

    They should be required, but the database needs to be simple and easy for everyone
    to use. A small fee can be applied for checking it, and checking it should be a requirement.
    Once an instant check is over a gun owner should be able to immediately enjoy their
    purchase - why make an existing gun owner "wait" 10 days for a second, third or tenth
    gun? I can see making someone wait on their first gun purchase, but not on any added
    purchases.

    Sadly we don't have a quality database. We don't have public access to it for all sellers,
    and we have people far more bent on "control" then on trying to keep guns out of the
    hands of criminals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Do you support background checks for all private purchases?

  8. #1358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,982

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is false. the laws are the same under federal law for gun shows as they are for those sellers in any other venue

    for most of our history no one had to undergo a background check. congress decided to change that only for licensed dealers

    you operate under the false premise that background checks are the norm

    they were not of over 200 years and never have been for private sellers
    Turtle - I am willing to wager $1,000.00 that this statement is factually true: a person can purchase a firearm at a gun show without a background check.
    I am willing to wager and additional $1,000.00 that this reality is commonly referred to as a gun show loophole.

    Ready to take the wager?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #1359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,982

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Do you support background checks for all private purchases?
    If we could do it so that there is no violation of the Second Amendment, I would support that idea.

    It is discriminatory and unfair that some individuals have to go through a background check while others do not when purchasing a firearm. The law should apply equally to everyone. Perhaps some would favor this be achieved by a removal of the background check for all. However, that leaves us at a disadvantage in trying to prevent felons, the identified mentally ill and others who by law are prevented from firearms ownership to obtain them. The only alternative in the interest of equal application of the law is to handle firearm transactions the same way that most state - perhaps all states - handle automobile transactions are handled. Even when done within family members, one must fill out the proper papers and change ownership. In firearms purchases, the background check would then be a part of that.

    The loop hole is then closed.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1360
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    If we could do it so that there is no violation of the Second Amendment, I would support that idea.

    It is discriminatory and unfair that some individuals have to go through a background check while others do not when purchasing a firearm. The law should apply equally to everyone. Perhaps some would favor this be achieved by a removal of the background check for all. However, that leaves us at a disadvantage in trying to prevent felons, the identified mentally ill and others who by law are prevented from firearms ownership to obtain them. The only alternative in the interest of equal application of the law is to handle firearm transactions the same way that most state - perhaps all states - handle automobile transactions are handled. Even when done within family members, one must fill out the proper papers and change ownership. In firearms purchases, the background check would then be a part of that.

    The loop hole is then closed.
    So you would support the idea of background checks for transfers between family members. Who would know whether or not a check was actually done if someone sells a firearm to his brother?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •