View Poll Results: Does Free Will Include the Mentally Challenged?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 40.63%
  • No

    5 15.63%
  • Unsure

    6 18.75%
  • Who cares...

    8 25.00%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 145

Thread: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

  1. #131
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    So there is no free will for anyone. You just said what I said, but your definition is different.

    I guess it's possible the physical laws of the universe dictate that all the atoms and molecules are destined to interact in a certain way and as a function of that, no matter what illusions we have, we're subject at the core to their activities.
    I wouldn't hold to that exact position dogmatically, but are all things somehow interconnected? Definitely.

  2. #132
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I wouldn't hold to that exact position dogmatically, but are all things somehow interconnected? Definitely.
    Well do you use the definition of free will you gave or not? Only a disembodied psyche in a void could act without the influence of an outside agency. It's not a matter of dogmatism, you just ascribe to such a definition that would a priori negate the possibility of free will existing.

  3. #133
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    It must be an epidemic. You missed my point entirely. If you read my post entirely you might have gotten it but you didn't even read the blip you clipped it says DD people. DUH
    I read your post. Apparently, you missed my point entirely.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I read your post. Apparently, you missed my point entirely.
    Between the two of you I definetly have to side with you, Sig buddy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I see The religious praying at churches and stuff after horrible events like this latest school shooting. They comfort themselves with the idea that "God has a plan". Well, God gave us free will... so the idea that there is a plan kinda makes sense, to a degree. What about the mentally challenged socio-paths that commit crimes like this. Manson, Bundy, this ****tard who killed the beautiful and innocent little children. Can they have free will? They can't, in my opinion. They are ****ed in the head. They can't make rational decisions AT ALL. They don't understand consequences. Many of them lack morals.

    I just wonder because the idea of free will seems to get tossed out the window when it comes to these ****s... so, logically, that shoots a hole in the entire idea that there is ANY free will.

    What say you?
    They can have free will, as God has a plan for the sociopaths as well. That's why there is final judgement: to determine where each of us will end up for eternity.

  6. #136
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Well do you use the definition of free will you gave or not? Only a disembodied psyche in a void could act without the influence of an outside agency. It's not a matter of dogmatism, you just ascribe to such a definition that would a priori negate the possibility of free will existing.
    whichever decisions are based on influences beyond one's control are not the result of "free" will. That's my position.

  7. #137
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    whichever decisions are based on influences beyond one's control are not the result of "free" will. That's my position.
    Cool. Does anyone have free will?

  8. #138
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    They can have free will, as God has a plan for the sociopaths as well. That's why there is final judgement: to determine where each of us will end up for eternity.
    They can... but at what mentally challenged point do the lose the capacity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    They can... but at what mentally challenged point do the lose the capacity?
    I have no idea.

  10. #140
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Mentally Challenged Have Free Will??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Cool. Does anyone have free will?
    Is any decision we made free of outside influences beyond our control?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •