View Poll Results: What is an assault rifle?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any semi-automatic rifle (fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled)

    14 8.59%
  • A semi-automatic rifle with two or more of the features in the Brady bill.(see OP post)

    17 10.43%
  • A rifle that will keep firing bullets as long as you hold down the trigger.

    117 71.78%
  • A rifle that will fire 3 bullet every time you squeeze the trigger.

    51 31.29%
  • I do not know.

    16 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 413

Thread: What is an assault rifle?

  1. #41
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its perfectly safe to shoot a .223 rem in a 5.56MM chamber but not the other way around
    Because the dimensions are slightly different, a 5.56 rifle will lose some accuracy when firing 223.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #42
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Doesn't it depend on when and who you ask?
    It's a clearly defined class of firearm, so no.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,917

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    winner winner chicken dinner.

    I was going to say the purpose of a the mechanical device we call "firearm" is to propel a small projectile downrange accurately.

    the "killing people" or even " killing animals".. or ,hell just plain old " killing"... is the intent of the operator, not the purpose of the firearm.

    each and every one of my firearms had fulfilled their purpose tens of thousands of times.... yet not one of them has killed a person.
    killing a person has yet to be a purpose I set my firearm out to fulfill.

    more than anything else, my intent.. and therefore the purpose of my firearm... is too put lil holes in paper at different known distances.

    obviously i'm exempting firearms I carried in the Corps... but even those were used primarily to punch holes in paper... and the occasional Commie.
    occasionally, my firearms are used to kill.....animals....tasty tasty animals.
    You are obfuscating intent... that's all.

    The gun is designed to kill. Paint ball guns can put something on a paper target. Just because guns can be used for a variety of other things does not negate the FACT that guns were designed, and still are designed, to kill. I know a guy that makes his kids hold an M-16 at arms length for punishment. Doesn't mean that the gun is not designed to kill.

    I think it is disingenuous AT BEST to even deny this. Who the **** cares? It is a simple fact. I think denying this only makes people look foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,917

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am doing my best to find a point in your argument and I cannot

    knives were originally designed to kill as well
    My argument is to counter the argument (was it yours? Can't remember) that guns are not designed to kill. That their purpose is not to kill. That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #45
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My argument is to counter the argument (was it yours? Can't remember) that guns are not designed to kill. That their purpose is not to kill. That's all.
    their purpose is to put whatever round they are loaded with onto the target designated by their user

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are obfuscating intent... that's all.

    The gun is designed to kill. Paint ball guns can put something on a paper target. Just because guns can be used for a variety of other things does not negate the FACT that guns were designed, and still are designed, to kill. I know a guy that makes his kids hold an M-16 at arms length for punishment. Doesn't mean that the gun is not designed to kill.

    I think it is disingenuous AT BEST to even deny this. Who the **** cares? It is a simple fact. I think denying this only makes people look foolish.
    are you trying to tell me that all of my firearms are defective?

    putting rounds downrange into human targets is certainly one utilization of firearms, no one disputes that.... but it's not even close to being the most widely used utilization ( punching holes in paper is)
    killing people is simply not the sole purpose of firearms... it's astronomically stupid to even argue that it is.

    hell , I have an old 1851 Navy revolver whose sole purpose is to look good on my wall...I have a .243 winchester whose sole purpose is to kill deer.

    I determine the purpose of my tools..the shooter..... they do not come with a predetermined purpose.

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    It's a clearly defined class of firearm, so no.
    By what authority? Does everyone accept their definition?

  8. #48
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    By what authority? Does everyone accept their definition?
    Not "everybody" has to accept the definition, only people with some kind of credentials on the subject. If a lawmaker doesn't know the difference between a carbine and a hunting rifle or rates of fire what they call a firearm is worthless. On the other hand, when the military determines a weapons characteristics or when people knowledgeable in the use of firearms do so it stands. See how that works, it's kind of like when a biologist names a newly discovered species of animal versus the guy working at Taco Bell.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #49
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Most people would look at an out of the box Bushmaster .223 and see a hunting rifle many own and use to hunt mid sized game (deer). Add a rail system with a front pistol grip, replace the scope with a red dot optic site and voila...you have an 'assault rifle'. From an ordinance perspective there is ZERO difference. Fires the same rounds, carries the same magazines. The hunting rifle version, anti-gun people would quickly say oh no...we don't want to target those...those are OK. We want to target the ASSUALT RIFLE.

    Its the same weapon with a few gadgets. No more lethal, no more or less valuable as a hunting rifle.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Many hunters carry a handgun and may shoot at game as a novelty, but few actually hunt with a handgun.
    Depends on what is meant by "with a handgun".

    Quite a few hunters I know do carry a handgun when they hunt, mostly for giving a badly wounded animal a quick end. If you have run down a deer or bear after a lung shot with a 30-06, a .45 into the brain pan is a much more humane way to let them go then waiting for them to bleed out, or shooting them several more times with a high power rifle round. This is especially common among bow hunters and black powder hunters I know.

    However, other then varmint hunters, very few actually use the pistol as their primary shooting weapon.

    So while it is true that they "hunt with a hand gun", it is more along the lines of they "drive with a spare tire". This is really the type of phrase that English can make it hard to understand the exact meaning. They "hunt with a hand gun", as in "have a handgun with them when they go hunting". Not "they go out and use a handgun to bring down their prey".
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •