View Poll Results: What is an assault rifle?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any semi-automatic rifle (fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled)

    14 8.59%
  • A semi-automatic rifle with two or more of the features in the Brady bill.(see OP post)

    17 10.43%
  • A rifle that will keep firing bullets as long as you hold down the trigger.

    117 71.78%
  • A rifle that will fire 3 bullet every time you squeeze the trigger.

    51 31.29%
  • I do not know.

    16 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 413

Thread: What is an assault rifle?

  1. #281
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Exactly, thank you. The right to keep and bear arms as part of a well regulated militia.
    Congratulations on your dishonesty, I qualified that statement later didn't I? Can't win the argument change the framing of it huh?

    Edit - I sure did
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Actually, you did. Regulations at the time of the founders meant the militia was to drill under officers, being that it's a subordinate clause none of the "militia argument" is even relevant. In other words, the only full sentence is the non-infringement clause. Isn't reading grand!
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 12-20-12 at 03:42 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #282
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The weapons in question—including the Colt AR-15, a semiautomatic version of the M-16 machine gun used by our armed forces, the Uzi, and the Tec-9 pistol, whose manufacturer's advertisements hailed its "fingerprint-resistant" finish—have been used in countless murders such as the Stockton schoolyard and Columbine High School shootings.
    Well, you have to realize that this is basically an opinion piece, with absolutely no statistics or evidence to confirm these claims. I have lived in large cities all over LA, and the vast majority of gang related crimes I hear reported involve pistols. So if you can find some proof of your claims with evidence, I would appreciate it.

    Oh, and many of those weapons listed are not "Assault Rifles", specifically the TEC-9 and Uzi. Those are sub-machine guns, or "machine pistols", not "Assault Rifles" at all.

    Oh, and those weapons you just listed? None of them was used in Stockton. That was a Type 56 (Chinese AK copy) and a Taurus PT-92, a Brazilian copy of the Beretta. Not an Uzi, not a TEC-9. So basically the claims made are all pretty much busted. Columbine had a TEC-9, but not an Uzi. And at Columbine they had many weapons, including shotguns and bombs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    In what well regulated militia are you actively serving?
    US Army.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Educate yourself further on the subject before you issue more incorrect statements about firearms.
    This is why I so often laugh at such claims. They are made by people that are totally ignorant in weapons. Much like the earlier claims that it is the round, then the same person turns right around and mentions weapons that use pistol ammunition.

    Shifting definitions, shifting qualifications, not any kind of real answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Perhaps we need to clarify what an assault RIFLE as opposed to an assault WEAPON means. My understanding is that an assault rifle is capable of automatic or burst fire, with a detachable magazine, firing an intermediate cartridge, and is generally issued to armed forces.
    An assault weapon is something slightly less effective as a killing machine, but with the features pictured in James' confused OP.
    Many assault weapons such as the Bushmaster, come in different configurations depending of which state's restrictions you wish to avoid.
    Nope, wrong. And several people (including me) have already posted the definitions in various states as well as the US of what an "Assault Rifle" is.

    Any sutomatic or burst weapon does not count, because these are already prohitited by other laws.

    MAC-10 and the Uzi fire pistol cartridges, not an "intermediate cartridge" at all.

    And a great many weapons fall under the shifting definitions. What if I made an M-16 clone, chambered it to 9mm, and installed an internal 100 round drum that is fixed to the weapon? By following your definition, it is no longer an "assault weapon". But it can kill far more people then a standard M-16.

    Heck, in the hands of somebody who is trained, a bolt action rifle is far more deadly then a semi-automatic one. Why do you think the majority of snipers use bolt action weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I understand weapons for defense. I am having trouble with weapons meant to use for offensive tactics. That is to say, a weapon designed specifically to assault.
    You claim to be a hunter, fine. How many hunters do you know that use the M1 or a variant of it for hunting?

    A lot of them, I know that is one of the rifles my uncle uses. In California, that is an "Assault Rifle". And no question, it was designed for the US Army, for killing Germans, Italians and Japanese.

    I can take offensive action and storm just about any place I want with a Ruger 10/22, or a baseball bat. I could even do it with a bolt-action weapon like the M-1903 Springfield.

    It is not the weapon that does the assault, it is the person. And trust me when I say I could kill a lot more people with a Springfield then some moron with an "Assault rifle" doing "spray and pray".

    Why? Because I am trained, I have the experience, and I would operate smartly. Heck, in 2002 we had 9 killed and 3 wounded, pretty much one at a time by such an individual. Operated at a distance, killed one at a time from hiding, and moved on. If not for cops getting lucky the Betlway Sniper may have killed a lot more people. And yes, he used an M-16, but people like Charles Whitman did even better, with much older weapons.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  3. #283
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    Well, you have to realize that this is basically an opinion piece, with absolutely no statistics or evidence to confirm these claims. I have lived in large cities all over LA, and the vast majority of gang related crimes I hear reported involve pistols. So if you can find some proof of your claims with evidence, I would appreciate it
    .

    BS, I've read countless reports from both the US and Mexico that said the same thing as the Police Chief stated, and I put much more stock in their assessments than I do yours.

    If you feel pistols are superior weapons, you should in no way be inconvenienced by a ban on assault weapons.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #284
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    You claim to be a hunter, fine. How many hunters do you know that use the M1 or a variant of it for hunting?
    I can only speak of the hunters I know. Not for all of them, of course. And the answer to your question is zero. Zilch. None. Nada.

    But, (disclaimer) I am not a gun expert so I am not sure what is or is not considered to be an M1 variant.

    I did, however, hunt with an M1 carbine, 1943 issue, when I was a kid. It was either that or a shotgun. That's all I had available to me. I never killed anything with it though. It had a 30 round banana clip and it looked way cool though. It wasn't nearly as accurate as the guns I use now.

    In MY deer hunting circle, we have three 30.06 hunters. One Winchester 30.30 lever action hunter (I've offered him some of my other more accurate guns but he prefers his 30.30.)

    Once, and only once, I took my Chinese SKS out hunting. I totally blew away a doe with it. The woods lit up! Rata-ta-a-tata-tat! It was awesome. It scared the rest of the guys in our woods. They said they hit the ground when I started shooting. They kindly asked me not to use it again up there. So, I didn't.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #285
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I'd agree with you but for the knowledge that the second was put in place in large part to keep a populace armed to a point where the government could not "overthrow" them. So the population would have a defense against runaway government.
    I know a lot of gun nutters that use that excuse. There may be some validity to it. Look what's happening over in Syria.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #286
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,584

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    .

    BS, I've read countless reports from both the US and Mexico that said the same thing as the Police Chief stated, and I put much more stock in their assessments than I do yours.

    If you feel pistols are superior weapons, you should in no way be inconvenienced by a ban on assault weapons.
    That depends on exactly what is to be banned. Most AWB proposals also include a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds, that include many pistols, like one that I now own. The fact that some crimes are assumed to "depend on" the use of an "assault rifle" does not take into account that most gun crimes, the vast majority, neither use nor require, that type of weapon. The last AWB did not reduce US gun crime, in fact, after its expiration, US gun crime dropped further. The CO "joker" shooter actually took less lives because the 100 round "junk" magazine that he selected (yet likely never tried out in advance) caused a jam.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #287
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I can only speak of the hunters I know. Not for all of them, of course. And the answer to your question is zero. Zilch. None. Nada.

    But, (disclaimer) I am not a gun expert so I am not sure what is or is not considered to be an M1 variant.

    I did, however, hunt with an M1 carbine, 1943 issue, when I was a kid. It was either that or a shotgun. That's all I had available to me. I never killed anything with it though. It had a 30 round banana clip and it looked way cool though. It wasn't nearly as accurate as the guns I use now.

    In MY deer hunting circle, we have three 30.06 hunters. One Winchester 30.30 lever action hunter (I've offered him some of my other more accurate guns but he prefers his 30.30.)

    Once, and only once, I took my Chinese SKS out hunting. I totally blew away a doe with it. The woods lit up! Rata-ta-a-tata-tat! It was awesome. It scared the rest of the guys in our woods. They said they hit the ground when I started shooting. They kindly asked me not to use it again up there. So, I didn't.
    The M1 was a .306 round, typical deer rifle configuration.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #288
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I know a lot of gun nutters that use that excuse. There may be some validity to it. Look what's happening over in Syria.
    Or you can just refer to what the framers themselves said about it. Already posted in another thread.

  9. #289
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    .

    BS, I've read countless reports from both the US and Mexico that said the same thing as the Police Chief stated, and I put much more stock in their assessments than I do yours.

    If you feel pistols are superior weapons, you should in no way be inconvenienced by a ban on assault weapons.
    And if they were written like that, they are all opinion pieces.

    Where are the references? Where are the statistics? Where is the evidence?

    Oh, that's right, there are none. Because this is all about opinion, not facts.

    So come on back when you have facts.

    My biggest problem is once again shown, that nobody can actually define what an "assualt weapon" actually is. Even here, we can't nail down any definition that does not involve banning many other weapons (and at the same time leaving many more weapons just as if not more deadly unbanned).

    The reason I object to the bans is that 99% of them are garbage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I can only speak of the hunters I know. Not for all of them, of course. And the answer to your question is zero. Zilch. None. Nada.

    I did, however, hunt with an M1 carbine, 1943 issue, when I was a kid. It was either that or a shotgun. That's all I had available to me. I never killed anything with it though. It had a 30 round banana clip and it looked way cool though. It wasn't nearly as accurate as the guns I use now.

    Once, and only once, I took my Chinese SKS out hunting. I totally blew away a doe with it. The woods lit up! Rata-ta-a-tata-tat! It was awesome. It scared the rest of the guys in our woods. They said they hit the ground when I started shooting. They kindly asked me not to use it again up there. So, I didn't.
    OK, you know nobody that does, but you did use an M1 variant as a child (the M1 Carbine). Which is a shorter, clip fed variant of the M1 rifle.

    And WTF were you doing trying to shoot a deer on full auto? Sorry, reading things like this either my "BS detector" or my "dumb f**k detector" tends to go off. There is absolutely no reason to ever take a full auto out hunting, unless what you are hunting has the capacity to hunt you in return. An ollegally converted AK copy, and you admit you own it yourself?

    And you expect to now be taken seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That depends on exactly what is to be banned. Most AWB proposals also include a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds, that include many pistols, like one that I now own. The fact that some crimes are assumed to "depend on" the use of an "assault rifle" does not take into account that most gun crimes, the vast majority, neither use nor require, that type of weapon. The last AWB did not reduce US gun crime, in fact, after its expiration, US gun crime dropped further. The CO "joker" shooter actually took less lives because the 100 round "junk" magazine that he selected (yet likely never tried out in advance) caused a jam.
    This is very much my problem also. These bans never work, because they can't even agree to what the problem is in the first place.

    Heck, I bet none of them can tell me how many kids were shot in the worse school masssacre in US history.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The M1 was a .306 round, typical deer rifle configuration.
    Sorry, but my credability with this guy is about zero. Talks about banning assault weapons, then claims to have a full auto AK-47 clone. Says nobody goes hunting with weapons like this, then he tells us he does it at least 2 times. Does not know what an M1 is (or it's variants), but talks about going hunting with one as a child.

    I do not believe he is a hunter, or has ever fired a gun. Is just making up stories, none of them making any sense to those that understand what he is trying to say.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  10. #290
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post

    Heck, I bet none of them can tell me how many kids were shot in the worse school masssacre in US history.

    Zero.


    What do I win?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •