View Poll Results: What is an assault rifle?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any semi-automatic rifle (fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled)

    14 8.59%
  • A semi-automatic rifle with two or more of the features in the Brady bill.(see OP post)

    17 10.43%
  • A rifle that will keep firing bullets as long as you hold down the trigger.

    117 71.78%
  • A rifle that will fire 3 bullet every time you squeeze the trigger.

    51 31.29%
  • I do not know.

    16 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 413

Thread: What is an assault rifle?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Exactly Grip. Assuming that my aiming is good (which it is), a well-placed shot with my Ruger 10/22 can take out just about anyone, unless he has an extraordinary amount of fat on his chest. I wouldn't want it to be my only rifle, by any means, but much is determined by skill over caliber or mag capacity, and looks don't mean a thing in the gun world.
    So you what your saying is that you don't need guns that hold 10, 20 or 30 round clips to take out someone?

  2. #142
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    If I load buck shot into my shotgun, is THAT an assault rifle?

    If I SHOOT someone with it, will they die?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #143
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    So I asked them, then what weapons should be banned? Answer: <crickets>
    None that are already legal to own.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #144
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Moot,

    I'm aware this source is biased, however it does have a nice little table showing all the different surveys and their DGU estimates. Even the lowest, at 700ish thousand, is well above the implied 31 thousand deaths via firearms. If you have another survey presenting contrary evidence, or you have something to show that these numbers are inaccurate, please point them out.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  5. #145
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    So you what your saying is that you don't need guns that hold 10, 20 or 30 round clips to take out someone?
    You asked which weapons should be banned. My answer is self-explanatory.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #146
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Exactly Grip. Assuming that my aiming is good (which it is), a well-placed shot with my Ruger 10/22 can take out just about anyone, unless he has an extraordinary amount of fat on his chest. I wouldn't want it to be my only rifle, by any means, but much is determined by skill over caliber or mag capacity, and looks don't mean a thing in the gun world.
    I'm a strange person in that I like guns as a piece of mechanical artistry. I like target shooting but I detest the idea of shooting people for any reason. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in nor has it ever been. I collect folding knives for the same reason that I think they're a mechanical wonder but I rarely buy a knife that's intended purpose is for killing. I do have a few but I got them for the precision skill in which they were made.

    The proliferance or availability of guns is not the problem it's the ignorance and willingness to take another life that's the problem.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #147
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    So you what your saying is that you don't need guns that hold 10, 20 or 30 round clips to take out someone?
    You mean "some PEOPLE"?

    Clearly, one well aimed shot will take out someONE. So the issue is with non bolt action, single round rifles? Any rifle or gun that holds a clip? Or just the ones that hold higher capacity clips? What then, is the difference between a guy with a rifle that takes 8 round clips, but who has 10 clips, and the guy who has a rifle that holds an 80 round clip, and he only has one? The time it takes to swap clips? Really? Is THAT the determining factor between acceptable murder, and unacaptable massacre?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You asked which weapons should be banned. My answer is self-explanatory.
    You only need one shot, is that correct?

  9. #149
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    You only need one shot, is that correct?
    I don't play games Moot, and I don't take bait willingly.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #150
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I'm a strange person in that I like guns as a piece of mechanical artistry. I like target shooting but I detest the idea of shooting people for any reason. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in nor has it ever been. I collect folding knives for the same reason that I think they're a mechanical wonder but I rarely buy a knife that's intended purpose is for killing. I do have a few but I got them for the precision skill in which they were made.

    The proliferance or availability of guns is not the problem it's the ignorance and willingness to take another life that's the problem.
    I'm with you. There is just something about really good steal, isn't there? I mean, I have no guns, nor want any...but I have lots of knives. And there is just something about the feel of a well made, high quality knife, regardless of it's purpose...you can just FEEL good steal...I personally like Frost.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •