View Poll Results: What is an assault rifle?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any semi-automatic rifle (fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled)

    14 8.59%
  • A semi-automatic rifle with two or more of the features in the Brady bill.(see OP post)

    17 10.43%
  • A rifle that will keep firing bullets as long as you hold down the trigger.

    117 71.78%
  • A rifle that will fire 3 bullet every time you squeeze the trigger.

    51 31.29%
  • I do not know.

    16 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 413

Thread: What is an assault rifle?

  1. #121
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Was I screaming? Or is that just your way of dismissing everything I just said?
    Are you going around the forum saying you want "assault weapons banned" and "high capacity magazines" banned? Yes? No?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then why don't you tell me what weapons should be banned and we'll go from there? Because it just looks to me like you're more interested in protecting your toys, than you are in protecting innocent lives.
    which ones should be banned from civilians?... any weapon that cannot, by design, be utilized by an individual as a defensive weapon on point targets.

  3. #123
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then why don't you tell me what weapons should be banned and we'll go from there? Because it just looks to me like you're more interested in protecting your toys, than you are in protecting innocent lives.

    I resent your accusation, madam. I am a father with a child in school.

    I have made suggestions I think would ACTUALLY reduce mass murders and school shootings:

    1. Fund mental hospitals and make it easier to involuntarily commit dangerously insane people... as part of a total reform of how we handle mental health issues.

    2. More security at schools... particularly, more armed security officers. I don't care if they're cops, or if some of the principles/vice-p's or other staff take some training and do it, but the best way to stop an active shooter is for him to be shot down.

    3. Recognize that "gun free zones" are viewed by crazy murders as "Unarmed victims available here!"


    As for what guns I would ban, I would ban nukes, bio and chemical weapons from private ownership, and restrict and heavily regulate artillery, heavy machine guns, squad support weapons, and mounted weapons.

    I think the current Class III license requirements for full auto weapons is more than adequate to control same... proof being that full auto weapons are almost never used in crimes.

    I'd add a "has been committed for mental illness" or "has been red-flagged as dangerous by two shrinks" to the NICS system.

    Other than that I do not see any new gun control laws as being at all effective in stopping this sort of thing. It's really a sad joke that anyone thinks it would.

    Like Alice's Restaurant, you can get anything you want on the street, illegally.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #124
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post

    Owning a gun for self defense is a bogus arguement when one looks at the statistics...

    "....The issue of "home defense" or protection against intruders or assailants may well be misrepresented. A study of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998).
    Surely this is only taking into account when a gun is actually fired, which is a very small percentage of self defense gun uses. Often, criminals want to take advantage of a helpless victim, and, when they discover that they are not helpless, they often retract.

    I know this because those numbers don't add up to any study on the topic.

    Over 50% of all households in the U.S. admit to having firearms (Nelson et al, 1987). In another study, regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and suicide in the home (Dahlberg, Ikeda and Kresnow, 2004). Persons who own a gun and who engage in abuse of intimate partners such as a spouse are more likely to use a gun to threaten their intimate partner. (Rothman et al, 2005). Individuals in possession of a gun at the time of an assault are 4.46 times more likely to be shot in the assault than persons not in possession (Branas et al, 2009). It would appear that, rather than being used for defense, most of these weapons inflict injuries on the owners and their families.
    Gee, people are more likely to be shot where a gun is. That's nice. How about general homicide/suicide statistics instead, since whether one is shot or stabbed or suffocated, the outcome is the same.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Assault weapons are routinely the weapons of choice for gang members and drug dealers." - By Police Chief Joseph M. Polisar

    Police Chief Magazine - View Article
    I took the time to actually read that lil "article"... and have lost IQ points as a result.

    I find it silly that this police chief can sit here and advocate for an assault weapons ban.. buy citing events like columbine and stockton yards.... both of which occurred while the assault weapons ban was in effect.

    obvisouly this moron believes that the AWB ban was a smashing success, despite the stats to the contrary.... and he too believes these assault weapons are more powerful than "regular" weapons.. which is simply not factual

    banning of assault weapon and hi-cap mags... according to him...is instrumental in reducing the number of violent crimes.... which, unfortunately for him, did not occur at the time of him writing that article.

    he doesn't want to be outgunned by criminals... yet he fails to understand that criminals had him outgunned even under the ban ( he's another idiot who assumes criminals break all sorts of laws, but magically abide by gun laws)



    do you know who else assault weapons and hi caps mags are regularly chosen by?... regular old responsible gun owners

  6. #126
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You statistics are erroneous. Even the most conservative estimates say that over 80,000 crimes are stopped by privately owned guns; other studies say hundreds of thousands, or over a million, anually... compared to 30,000 firearm deaths, most of which are suicides.

    Homicide is down, btw... so are gun accidents. WAY down from the 1970's. So this supposed epidemic of shooting violence you're claiming isn't supported by statistics.
    I showed you my stats (from an unbiased source), so why don't you show me yours?

    Btw, stats can be misleading and Compstat is manipulated by many police departments all over the country. The FBI even has a disclaimer that says their stats might not be accurate. So where are your stats, I'd really like to see them?

    The Trouble with Compstat

  7. #127
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    do you know who else assault weapons and hi caps mags are regularly chosen by?... regular old responsible gun owners

    I've been hearing for years there is nothing but a cosmetic difference, what makes these guns the gun of choice for gangs in the US and Mexico, if the only difference is cosmetic?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #128
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I took the time to actually read that lil "article"... and have lost IQ points as a result.

    I find it silly that this police chief can sit here and advocate for an assault weapons ban.. buy citing events like columbine and stockton yards.... both of which occurred while the assault weapons ban was in effect.

    obvisouly this moron believes that the AWB ban was a smashing success, despite the stats to the contrary.... and he too believes these assault weapons are more powerful than "regular" weapons.. which is simply not factual

    banning of assault weapon and hi-cap mags... according to him...is instrumental in reducing the number of violent crimes.... which, unfortunately for him, did not occur at the time of him writing that article.

    he doesn't want to be outgunned by criminals... yet he fails to understand that criminals had him outgunned even under the ban ( he's another idiot who assumes criminals break all sorts of laws, but magically abide by gun laws)



    do you know who else assault weapons and hi caps mags are regularly chosen by?... regular old responsible gun owners
    The guns used in Colombine were straw purchased. Straw purchasing is something that should be against the law.

  9. #129
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I showed you my stats (from an unbiased source), so why don't you show me yours?

    Btw, stats can be misleading and Compstat is manipulated by many police departments all over the country. The FBI even has a disclaimer that says their stats might not be accurate. So where are your stats, I'd really like to see them?

    The Trouble with Compstat

    I've posted them on DP more times than I can remember. When I recently bought a new computer I lost the file I usually kept them on, but I think Jerry has them handy. I'll ask him to post it.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #130
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: What is an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Surely this is only taking into account when a gun is actually fired, which is a very small percentage of self defense gun uses. Often, criminals want to take advantage of a helpless victim, and, when they discover that they are not helpless, they often retract. I know this because those numbers don't add up to any study on the topic.

    Gee, people are more likely to be shot where a gun is. That's nice. How about general homicide/suicide statistics instead, since whether one is shot or stabbed or suffocated, the outcome is the same.
    You make a good point. Guns can make a good deterent. But on the other hand, more often than not a criminal uses the gun owners own gun against him.


    I'm not and never will claim that all crime will magically cease if certain assault weapons are banned. Thats just another strawman that the gun rightys have created so they have something to argue against.

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •