View Poll Results: How many human races are there?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1

    26 66.67%
  • 3

    0 0%
  • more than 3.

    13 33.33%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78

Thread: How many human races exist?

  1. #11
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How many human races exist?

    So, if you have a **** ton of common house flies that have been isolated, and they all developed, over a period of time, red eyes....and another **** ton of them across the way, also isolated, that developed black eyes....


    Would you consider them to be of different race/species?

    I guess my question is, how far apart do two families have to become, in order to be considered a different species?

    To answer the OP, near as I can tell, there is only ONE species of human.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #12
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Bacteria, fish, monkeys, humans. Explains a lot, doesn't it? In another 30K years, it will be different.

  3. #13
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Bacteria, fish, monkeys, humans. Explains a lot, doesn't it? In another 30K years, it will be different.
    Yeah, we'll all be fluorescent orange with garish green polka dots, have 4ft mandibles and eat Semtex. The club footers will be the new sex symbols.

    Mother Nature's an avid fan of Manga.

  4. #14
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: How many human races exist?

    That's exactly what gods plan is. You must be an insider.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Yeah, we'll all be fluorescent orange with garish green polka dots, have 4ft mandibles and eat Semtex. The club footers will be the new sex symbols.

    Mother Nature's an avid fan of Manga.

  5. #15
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    That's exactly what gods plan is. You must be an insider.
    Oh yeah. I got the scoop on the big guy's blueprints.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    So, if you have a **** ton of common house flies that have been isolated, and they all developed, over a period of time, red eyes....and another **** ton of them across the way, also isolated, that developed black eyes....


    Would you consider them to be of different race/species?

    I guess my question is, how far apart do two families have to become, in order to be considered a different species?

    To answer the OP, near as I can tell, there is only ONE species of human.
    Race is just so nebulous as to be useless in these types of discussions. Yes, when it is asked on an application or something I know I am supposed to put white or Caucasian, but biologically, I don’t know what the hell race is equivalent to.

    It certainly can’t mean species, because that is a no-brainer. There is only one species of human that exists today. I wonder if race in humans is supposed to be the equivalent of breed in dogs, or strain in bacteria. If that is the case then there are a LOT of races. I don’t think there are any sub-species of humans. Aborigines and non-Aborigines might have been able to be considered two separate sub-species back when they were isolated, but those days are gone. And I might be completely off the mark on that one.

  7. #17
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: How many human races exist?

    0

    .......

  8. #18
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I keep hearing that race is completely fictional, a social construct that means nothing.


    ...but that doesn't change the fact that we still describe people as asian, black, arabic, etc... and that when we say these words, people know what we mean.
    I mean, you answered your own rhetorical question...

    and "means nothing", in context, means that race shouldn't mean anything to anyone... meaning it's rather stupid, because we are a rainbow, not groups of paint buckets full of one color and when you mix two together it makes a different one.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 12-14-12 at 04:06 AM.

  9. #19
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Yes, when it is asked on an application or something I know I am supposed to put white or Caucasian, but biologically, I don’t know what the hell race is equivalent to.
    Biologically race is equivalent to less than 0.01% of genetic differences between the human race. Thus it is too insignificant to weigh as a biological construct.

    But because the phenotype is visible to all some generalizations can be made such as: Caucasian, Negro, etc. Since it is more phenotype and not genetic basis it is more used as a social construct.

  10. #20
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: How many human races exist?

    Was asked the same question on the first day of my World Geography class in high school, with the same options too.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •