View Poll Results: Which of the following are victimless crimes?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adultery

    1 5.56%
  • Drug manufacture/sales

    2 11.11%
  • Drug use/possession

    3 16.67%
  • Incest

    0 0%
  • Necrophilia

    0 0%
  • Polygamy

    1 5.56%
  • Prostitution

    8 44.44%
  • Public nudity

    2 11.11%
  • Sex in public

    0 0%
  • Traffic violations

    1 5.56%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Victimless crimes

  1. #41
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes it is. Making the decision for the artist is called 'piracy'. The music will be pirated regardless of anyone's opinion. There is a demand for free music, so how else do you make money on free music then mirroring television, give the music away and make money on endorsed products?
    There's demand for free anything. If Ferraris were given away free you'd see a lot more of them on the road. Other than advocating theft, what's your point?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There's demand for free anything. If Ferraris were given away free you'd see a lot more of them on the road. Other than advocating theft, what's your point?
    That's a very old, long dead argument.

    Piracy is going to continue whether you like or not. If the artist wants to make money, and become 'the rich' which the Left hate so passionately, the industry needs to fundamentaly change and model themselves after TV and radio.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's a very old, long dead argument.

    Piracy is going to continue whether you like or not. If the artist wants to make money, and become 'the rich' which the Left hate so passionately, the industry needs to fundamentaly change and model themselves after TV and radio.
    It's old because it's valid and indisputable.

    You're right about one thing... it won't stop. So? By your reasoning we should legalize child molestation because some people are going to do it anyway. Yeah, that's the answer... dissolve all ownership and property rights because the chances are pretty good that a common thief will come along and take it anyway.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's old because it's valid and indisputable.

    You're right about one thing... it won't stop. So? By your reasoning we should legalize child molestation because some people are going to do it anyway. Yeah, that's the answer... dissolve all ownership and property rights because the chances are pretty good that a common thief will come along and take it anyway.
    See I'm trying to talk about a valid solution and you're just jumping off the deep end into hysteria. Music pirating = child abuse, according to you. Whatever man

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    See I'm trying to talk about a valid solution and you're just jumping off the deep end into hysteria. Music pirating = child abuse, according to you. Whatever man
    Your attempt at moral equivalency amuses me.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Your attempt at moral equivalency amuses me.
    It amuses me too, that's why I like to talk about it.

  7. #47
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    1. Why they don't harm anyone and they one of the nicest elementary schools in the country where they have parent-parent-parent teacher interviews.
    Come again?

    2. Bouncers usually good at solving that problem.
    Not at the receiving end of new prostitutes. Human trafficking is a huge problem in legal and illegal prostitution.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #48
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    1) So has regular marriage... and not when it involves consenting adults as it would be in the U.S.
    That's true, but regular marriage doesn't actively leave teenage boys homeless or rape young girls. That happens in both Islamic and Mormon polygamy.

    2) Prostitution itself CAN lead to those things, but in of itself is a victimless crime. There are plenty safe prostitution places in Nevada that the women there love to work. What you are saying is that human trafficing is not a victimless crime... and yes I agree with you.
    But prostitution elsewhere, particularly Europe, Asia and parts of the US is fed via human trafficking.

    I don't know the exact classification of the laws right now, but I am saying these two are the only ones I think ARE victimless crimes.
    Nah, the only two I see that are actual victimless crimes through and through is incest without children and adultery via swinging.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #49
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Come again?



    Not at the receiving end of new prostitutes. Human trafficking is a huge problem in legal and illegal prostitution.
    Polygamy doesn't harm anyone especially the children they are fine I used that as a an example see their children are fine everyone wins. Secondly regulation and law enforcement can help cut down on that and just because it's illegal doesn't mean it will stop so why shouldn't it be legal?

  10. #50
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This has to be the most bizarre reasoning I have ever heard regarding this subject.
    Why? For someone to be a victim, they must have lost something, money, health, bodily function, etc. In the case of IP piracy where no sale would have occurred, there is nothing to do to make the "victim" made whole because the "victim" never lost anything. They are in the exact same position they were prior to the piracy. Now, someone who WOULD have bought it and now is stealing, there is a victim as there is now a lost sale. What some in the music industry are starting to realize is that if they give away at least some of their product, they make it back (or more in the case of the no-buy pirate) with concert sales. In a way, this actually mirrors the free-to-play concept.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •