View Poll Results: Which of the following are victimless crimes?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adultery

    1 5.56%
  • Drug manufacture/sales

    2 11.11%
  • Drug use/possession

    3 16.67%
  • Incest

    0 0%
  • Necrophilia

    0 0%
  • Polygamy

    1 5.56%
  • Prostitution

    8 44.44%
  • Public nudity

    2 11.11%
  • Sex in public

    0 0%
  • Traffic violations

    1 5.56%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Victimless crimes

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    (Note: I could have put many more options in the poll, but they are limited to ten entries.)

    Victimless crimes are defined as crimes "where there is no apparent victim and no apparent pain or injury." Many such acts are on the books in many countries, including the United States.

    What are some victimless crimes that should be decriminalized or outright legalized?

    EDIT: Crap, I forgot to make the poll multiple choice. Can a mod please do that?
    You also forgot a "non of the above" option.

    My non-vote, is my vote. All of those acts could damage someone other than the participant.

  2. #32
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Well it's added on to every ticket as a percentage thing but it's really small I don't know what the issue is.
    Principle difference I guess. I don't believe in having a surtax and a penalty in the same charge, especially ones to cover injuries not caused by me.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #33
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Victimless crime is a misnomer. Every single thing on that list has some kind of negative effect on society in certain circumstances. However, that doesn't inherently justify making the action illegal, especially when that creates an even worse negative impact to society.

  4. #34
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Actually could argue polygamy has victims if they have children according to some but I don't believe it.
    Why would the children be victims? And why do you assume there is children?

    So if there is no children than it is a victimless crime? So how can it be both a victimless crime and not a victimless crime?

    I know, because it is not both, it is a victimless crime...
    Last edited by celticwar17; 12-11-12 at 11:38 PM.

  5. #35
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Why would the children be victims? And why do you assume there is children?

    So if there is no children than it is a victimless crime? So how can it be both a victimless crime and not a victimless crime?

    I know, because it is not both, it is a victimless crime...
    I don't know, that's just the argument people against polygamy use I assume the studies are by the same people that say gay parents are harmful to children. It shouldn't be a crime to begin with personally but I'm just saying that is one of the arguments that can argue it does have victims.

  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Victimless crimes

    i copied the list because theres no one answer for them, sometimes they can be victimless and sometimes not.

    Adultery - YES SOMETIMES
    Drug manufacture/sales -YES SOMETIMES
    Drug use/possession - YES SOMETIMES
    Incest - YES SOMETIMES
    Necrophilia - YES SOMETIMES
    Polygamy - YES SOMETIMES
    Prostitution - YES SOMETIMES
    Public nudity - YES SOMETIMES
    Sex in public - YES SOMETIMES
    Traffic violations - YES SOMETIMES

    all of them at times can be victimless
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #37
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    A true victimless crime is that of a pirate who steals software or music who wasn't going to buy it anyways. There is no lost sale because no sale was going to happen. Therefore, the potential victim has never been violated as they are in the same position they were before. Furthermore, if in terms of music causes the pirate to actually go to a concert, there's a clear benefit there.
    This has to be the most bizarre reasoning I have ever heard regarding this subject.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This has to be the most bizarre reasoning I have ever heard regarding this subject.
    Artists need to learn that they are not producing the product, they are producing the entertainment which attract the audience. Artists need to market their music the way a television markets their shows, where the point is not to give you the show but to attract buyers for products in commercials.

  9. #39
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Artists need to learn that they are not producing the product, they are producing the entertainment which attract the audience. Artists need to market their music the way a television markets their shows, where the point is not to give you the show but to attract buyers for products in commercials.
    Irrelevant. The artist decides for them self if they want to give it away. The decision is not made for them because somebody else says it's a good thing to do.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Victimless crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Irrelevant. The artist decides for them self if they want to give it away. The decision is not made for them because somebody else says it's a good thing to do.
    Yes it is. Making the decision for the artist is called 'piracy'. The music will be pirated regardless of anyone's opinion. There is a demand for free music, so how else do you make money on free music then mirroring television, give the music away and make money on endorsed products?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •