View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #81
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    10 scariest words in the English language:

    "I'm from the government and I'm here to protect marriage".

    It's hilarious that many of the same people who think Ronald Reagan is the bees knees are so quick to think of the government as something which can protect marriage.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #82
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    I would prefer the government separate the legal benefits of a recognized partnership from the religious/ceremonial aspects of the word marriage. Ideally, all couples, whether hetero- or homosexual would be able to have their relationship legally recognized in a civil union or domestic partnership, or whatever term you want to use. The marriage ceremony (if the couple wanted one) could be held anywhere that allowed them to hold the ceremony, and officiated over by any person who was willing to do so, but the ceremony would carry no legal weight.

    I'm much less in favor of the idea of civil unions applying to gays and heterosexuals still using the term marriage. Separate but equal very rarely works, because the two things are very rarely equal. As a stepping stone to full equality though, it might be better than what we have now, although I think a better option would be to simply let the states decide if they will allow gays to marry, but pass a law on the national level requiring all states to recognize marriages performed in other states as valid.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    10 scariest words in the English language:

    "I'm from the government and I'm here to protect marriage".

    It's hilarious that many of the same people who think Ronald Reagan is the bees knees are so quick to think of the government as something which can protect marriage.
    It's the same people who don't think the government is responsible enough to manage tax money, but is responsible enough to determine the beginning of life (abortion) and facilitate the end of it (death penalty). The same people who think people shouldn't be so "sensitive" about racial epithets because they're "just words", but who think the word "marriage" is sacred.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 12-07-12 at 06:48 PM.

  4. #84
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    i am against gay marriage morally, but i support equal rights for gays. No matter what you say is against the bible, state and church are not combined. The church should not be running our government. I generally agree with the church on moral grounds surrounding gay marriage, but that does not mean that everybody has to. Human rights are human rights. It is the right of a person to be married, and it should be to whoever they please. Stop whining about how marriage should be between a man and woman and get on with life. Get married how you believe, because you HAVE that right, just like gays SHOULD.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #85
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's selfish in the fact that they want to change terms and concepts in order to suit themselves and to hell with what anyone else feels about marriage (which is VERY important to many people), when they can accept equality in the form of civil unions. That way, people who value marriage and the terms and concepts that go with that can be happy, and the gay people can reside with their partners legally and with all of the same benefits of a marriage but just without the term "marriage."

    Again, if they want to change the concept of marriage, then they really want a civil union and not a marriage at all.
    You realize that politicians were behind the change of terms and not homosexuals right? And if I remember correctly they ended up changing the terms back.

  6. #86
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    How is it unconstitutional? If we allow gays to unite in a manner that would be the same as marriage except with a different name, there is nothing unconstitutional about it.
    Im sure someone already beat me too this but separate but equal is unconstitutional.

  7. #87
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    First off, I'll say that I could care less if the Fed Govt passes pro-LGBT legislation regarding marriage. Does not affect me one way or the other. I will not campaign for it but I refuse to campaign against it as well. I have a question, however: If passing legislation for SSM rights is the "RIGHT" thing to do.............why is it that so many political leaders at the Federal level (even those on the Left) seem to "shy away" from openly defending it? We have one of the more Liberal Presidents and Supreme Courts in recent history. We've also experienced a Democratic Congress with a super majority within the past five years. We've had arguably the most Left-leaning Speaker of the House and Senate Majority Leaders ever...........and yet, we've failed to push SSM legislation through with any real degree of success? Why is this? Why have our political leaders resorted to nothing more effective than ballot initiatives at the state level where most are doomed to fail?


    While it's all too easy for the pro-SSM crowd to pass blame directly upon the shoulders of organized churches and on the "religious right" I will propose another theory. The Democratic Party and the political "Left" in general has failed their own base of support. Why?..........Well, for the sake of political expediency of course! Politicians (both Left and Right) are primarily concerned with TWO THINGS only................gaining and maintainting political power. Smart politicians realize that the majority of American voters are still opposed to the Fed Govt. legislating morality inside marriages and bedrooms. Smart politicians know that to take strong stances on such divisive issues is a great way to commit political suicide.

    So, my point, in reference to a few earlier posts, is this: While relying on the Fed Govt to "protect" the institution of marriage seems a ridiculous proposition.....................the pro-SSM crowd relying on the Fed Govt to do what they believe is "right" and "humanistically good" is also just as silly a proposition. When are we going to wise up and stop relying on govt to "fix everything" from Capitol Hill or from the bench of the SCOTUS? When dealing with the Fed govt the policy of "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" is generally the safest approach.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 12-07-12 at 07:27 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #88
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,873
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I have no doubt that what I said angers some people against SSM. I'm not worried about that. As far as "denigrating" religious people, I don't seek to do that at all and many religious people have the same views as I do. I want same-sex marriage to be legal and I want gay/bisexual people to be treated equal. If anybody is upset by that and how I present my opinion, oh well.
    There's a few reasons I love you TPD, and this is one of them.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    There's a few reasons I love you TPD, and this is one of them.
    Ah, thanks man.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    No, because it's still the government relegating homosexual persons to second-class status. Whether you use the word marriage or union isn't as important as using the same word for both straight and gay couples.
    Why would homosexuals want to adopt a tradition that has historically been exclusive to heterosexuals? Wouldn't that in and of itself be demeaning? One would think that they would want to maintain their own identity. To be independent of heterosexual traditions. To also have their own definition of permanent partnership. A stand alone definition.

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •