View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
Results 821 to 830 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #821
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Only if the government issues Civil Union licenses only (i.e. the Marriage License is done away with it total).
    Exactly. Government has no business in marriage. Anyone who is against big government but supports a marriage license is a hypocrite.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #822
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so, if the heart of the matter is equal rights...why do so many gay supporters not support equal rights for those other groups? forget the courts
    You are I believe purposely misrepresenting the argument. The heart of the matter is equal rights for people in the same situation as others. Same sex couples are in the same situation as opposite sex couples. But 3 or more spouses are not in the same situation as 2 spouses when it comes to the legal parts of marriage. Family members, particularly immediate family members (and I and many others are all for allowing first cousins and further out to marry), are not in the same situation as non-family members, mainly because they already have man of the rights of marriage from just being family. No other situation deals with individuals that would be able to enter into a contract with each other legally anyway.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #823
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You are I believe purposely misrepresenting the argument. The heart of the matter is equal rights for people in the same situation as others. Same sex couples are in the same situation as opposite sex couples. But 3 or more spouses are not in the same situation as 2 spouses when it comes to the legal parts of marriage. Family members, particularly immediate family members (and I and many others are all for allowing first cousins and further out to marry), are not in the same situation as non-family members, mainly because they already have man of the rights of marriage from just being family. No other situation deals with individuals that would be able to enter into a contract with each other legally anyway.
    more equivocation. they are all in the same situation...consenting adults who want to get married. go ahead and try to quibble and narrow the parameters all you want in an attempt to show how gays are somehow special and unique......
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #824
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    more equivocation. they are all in the same situation...consenting adults who want to get married. go ahead and try to quibble and narrow the parameters all you want in an attempt to show how gays are somehow special and unique......
    this is factually incorrect and it shows you dont understand what equal rights are. You are being dishonest to try and cover up the fact the your BS argument is a failure. Its pretty entertaining watching you spin, but the other funny thing is facts dont care about your ignorance off the topic at hand.

    If you disagree by all means factually prove your argument id love to hear it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #825
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    more equivocation. they are all in the same situation...consenting adults who want to get married. go ahead and try to quibble and narrow the parameters all you want in an attempt to show how gays are somehow special and unique......
    They are not all legally in the same situation. It just simply isn't that way.

    It has nothing to do with a person's sexuality either. Should we ask people what sexuality they are when they apply for a license? We don't ask them now. No one cares if two homosexuals marry as long as they are of the opposite sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #826
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    more equivocation. they are all in the same situation...consenting adults who want to get married. go ahead and try to quibble and narrow the parameters all you want in an attempt to show how gays are somehow special and unique......
    Please indicate what group is being discriminated against in the case of polygamy, and how you believe that discrimination does not meet the needed constitutional measurements to be allowabled under the Equal Protection Clause.

    I can easily make the argument in terms of two person Same Sex Marriage and in a way that in no way, shape, or form advocates or allows for polygamy. Please, enlighten us to your reasoning.

  7. #827
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    In other words......there is no such thing as an "equal right" across the board. there are always conditions and limitations. which is/was and has been my point all along.

    but hey guys... thanks for playing
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #828
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In other words......there is no such thing as an "equal right" across the board. there are always conditions and limitations. which is/was and has been my point all along.

    but hey guys... thanks for playing
    wrong again, thank you for FURTHER proving you are uneducated to what equal rights are, you are only helping those prove the facts against you and showing your complete ignorance on this matter.

    Please fell free to prove how little you know

    glad we could all play and your welcome, you lose
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #829
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In other words......there is no such thing as an "equal right" across the board.
    In a general sense, correct. There's not. I don't know why you, or anyone else, would have that foolish idea. The government discriminates against a **** ton of people in this country. People under a certain age, people of a certain gender, people of a certain race, people who haven't served in the military, people who have committed crimes, people who have an education, people who have worked for the federal government, people who interact with foreign entities, people who have certain citizenship status, etc.

    In a more specific sense, incorrect. We discriminate a **** ton. HOWEVER, that discrimination must reach constitutional muster to be allowed. And there is Equal Protection under the law, in so far that EVERYONE is granted the protection of any discrimination that doesn't meet the constitutional requirements. Essentially...people have "equal rights" in the sense that their rights can only be restricted based on a standard that is applied evenly across the board.

    In the case of Same Sex Marriage, as I stated, I can make a compelling argument (one that has passed in part through some courts) that such a level of necessity on the part of the Government is not reached. (and there's a less strong, but still somewhat compelling, argument in terms of Gay Marriage)

    You would need to do similar to say Polygamy should be allowable.

    Those seeking same sex marriage shouldn't get it becuase "Everyone should be totally and absolutely equal across the board". Those seeking same sex marriage should get it because their rights are being inequally applied by the standard that others are given. I've seen no compelling argument, at this point, for Polygamy that qualifies in that same fashion. If you have one, please present it.

  10. #830
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In other words......there is no such thing as an "equal right" across the board. there are always conditions and limitations. which is/was and has been my point all along.

    but hey guys... thanks for playing
    There has never been equal rights in all situations for all people. Nor will there be. Children have fewer rights than old people would be one simple example and for good reasons. However, to withhold rights, there has to be a solid, substantive reason. There are no such reasons in the case of SSM.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •