View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    So basically your saying the being gay means accepting terminology of being atheists, and being hetero means accepting the terminology that you are religious?

    Seriously, be truthful. If you were in a group and one of the women said about another of the women, "this is my husband, we're married" you would REALLY be deeply offended/troubled because what "you feel is important" to you has been violated?
    You obviously have no clue what I'm talking about.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    By that same logic, if the boy asks "will you be my wife?" she should say "NO!" and leave, because he had not asked her to be his "bride" - and "bride," not "wife," is the government word - and it is therefore illegal to be a wife anyway, only a bride because that's what the marriage license says.

    The government dictating words restrictively is rather bizarre. Straights can ONLY have "marriages," but not "civil unions." And gays can only have "civil unions," but not "marriages." By government edicts.
    Who the hell said any of that? Quit trying to project into other peoples' posts.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    So basically your saying the being gay means accepting terminology of being atheists, and being hetero means accepting the terminology that you are religious?

    Seriously, be truthful. If you were in a group and one of the women said about another of the women, "this is my husband, we're married" you would REALLY be deeply offended/troubled because what "you feel is important" to you has been violated?
    What I said was that gay people should be able to choose between groom/bride, groom/groom, bride/bride, basically any combination of the two. You claim that I said the EXACT opposite. That is just annoying.

  4. #74
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    I don't think the state should be involved in marriage.

  5. #75
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    If civil unions are exactly the same thing as marriage, then you have a difference without a distinction. It is simply silly. However, the case as it is now is not like that. Civil unions are massively different from marriage under the law, and this is not likely to change. It is oddly easier simply to get marriage rights to gay couples than it is to allow civil unions and make then identical to marriage. And even if you could make them identical, what exactly then is the point. Marriage in everything but name is marriage, so call it what it is.

    On a couple points made by others:

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it is a good compromise. It allows homosexuals to have the legal benefits of marriage without redefining marriage for those who have moral issues with homosexual relationships qualifying as a marriage.
    SSM has zero effect on any other person's marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    So no more wife and husband...lol...ok
    Absolutely not the case. The state simply does not define those roles, nor should they. At least a couple stateshave already, long before the November election, removed any gender specific language from marriage documents because even in opposite sex marriages the lines where blurred.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    This is the kind of vitriolic bs that promulgates anger and frustration...gays and their cheerleaders...dont want equality they want to change the entire world for the majority..this has gotten to be more an ego trip than anything else.
    You want to denigrate religious people...you want to throw out the word marriage for the 94% you want to make it all generic...so 6% of the population can not only have equality they can have IT ALL THEIR WAY....know what..screw that..and that is said simply as fact not in any kind of anger whatsoever..
    SSM does not in any way change straight marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    What matters is the makeup of each state since states issue marriage licenses and regulate it. 90% of people in New York could approve SSM but if 60% in Texas do not then we shouldn't expect the beliefs of New Yorkers to dictate how Texas handles marriage.
    And what happens when a same sex Texas couple go to New York and get married? Can states refuse to recognize legal contracts from other states? If not, then Texas is just going to have to deal with the fact of SSM couples.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm all for equality, but I am certainly NOT for specific groups getting "special privileges" such as being able to change the wording on marriage certificates because of . . . . ??? I don't even know why.
    How a marriage certificate is worded has no practical effect on a marraige.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #76
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    The law of the land is very simple: Separate but equal is not equal. There is no way around this.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #77
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    One of the common arugements I've seen from social conservatives is that the creation of a civil union should answer the questions regarding gay marriage.

    Typically, the general idea is this:

    • The civil union will contain the same benefits as a heterosexual marriage
    • The term 'marriage' will only be recognized as between one man and one woman


    So, dear reader, my question to you is: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise with regards to the issue of Same-Sex marriage?

    I'll try to have the answers as applicable as possible.
    No. Certain people's desire to get government out of marriage is a thinly veiled attempt by Christians to take the ball home in a huff so that nobody else can play. Which would almost be acceptable if Christians owned that ball that in the first place. Which they don't.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 12-07-12 at 05:41 PM.

  8. #78
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What I said was that gay people should be able to choose between groom/bride, groom/groom, bride/bride, basically any combination of the two. You claim that I said the EXACT opposite. That is just annoying.
    I thought what you said is that heteros get the word "marriage," and gays don't. That gays wanting the word "marriage" is "unfair." Did I get that wrong? Mix you up with someone else on this topic?

  9. #79
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And even if you could make them identical, what exactly then is the point. Marriage in everything but name is marriage, so call it what it is..
    The point made by doing it that way would be that those icky homos are not the same as us and do not deserve the same title. Separate but equal is what they are proposing, so even if you take them at their word that the civil unions they are proposing be created for gays would have all the same rights and privileges, it's still wrong.
    Last edited by RepublicanMcDuc; 12-07-12 at 06:15 PM.

  10. #80
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    I don't think the gov't should be involved in any way, shape, or form. The only thing the gov't should be involved in is a contract that is voluntarily entered into by any two adults, regardless of sex. This would be used to settle child custody disputes, property disputes, and settle the tax filing issue that is always brought up. The old Justice of the Peace marriages need to go away. Marriage should be conducted by churches and private entities, not by the gov't.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •