View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #751
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I realize that gay people can have families. I think that they are statistically less likely to for stable pairs, but that's becoming a problem with the hetero's as well, and I recognize that they can. I don't have a problem with stable couples adopting - better two mommies than the State. That is not my issue - my issue is the redefinition of marriage away from a focus on stable two-parent family formation for the raising of children and towards "two people who love each other", which is what you seem to be either missing or avoiding.
    This argument fails because marriage has been about "two people who love each other" for a while now, whether you approve or not. This is what the majority wants, whether they recognize it or not because we allow people who can't have children now to get married, 25% of married opposite sex couples where the woman is of childbearing age do not have children at all (which then would not even get into the number of married opposite sex couples where the woman is not of childbearing age, which is likely much higher), divorce does not take into account children of the couple for whether it is harder for the couple to actually get a divorce, not as far as the state mandates anyway, and >50% of US families are stepfamilies, which are more unstable in general than bio families.

    Plus, whether people like it or not, a married couple is still a family, even if they don't have children. And they still get almost every incentive of marriage whether they are able to or even want to have children, and that doesn't change if they never have children. The only ones they could be considered not to get, they wouldn't need since they would pertain directly to access to children/child care for children they don't have.

    Marriage is never going back to "for the raising of children" because the majority doesn't want it to. The majority wants people to marry for themselves, instead of the children because it is better to ensure the couple is happy with each other whether they have children or not than to force the couple together or to stay together for the children which leads to unhappy, dysfunctional families. Blame it on women's rights and liberation and in the work force if you wish but it isn't returning to what it once was so the best thing to do is to adapt to what it is.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #752
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,891
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    if you will see my discussion with jredbarron,
    It's 'Jredbaron'.


    Capatalized J, one r in 'baron'.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  3. #753
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's a concern I have, that's all. Just because you say something is meaningless doesn't make it so.
    Its a "concern" based on no empirical evidence. Its a "concern" based on an irrational fear. Therefore.....yes.....it IS meaningless.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #754
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    question: In principle, would gay couples be willing to accept civil unions that were identical to marriage in every respect but name? forget the practical implications of implementation, would such a compromise be acceptable in principle?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #755
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    question: In principle, would gay couples be willing to accept civil unions that were identical to marriage in every respect but name? forget the practical implications of implementation, would such a compromise be acceptable in principle?
    I would, ONLY if the government had only one term for ALL government recognized unions/marriages.

    Separate but equal is just setting up a condition for discrimination.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  6. #756
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    question: In principle, would gay couples be willing to accept civil unions that were identical to marriage in every respect but name? forget the practical implications of implementation, would such a compromise be acceptable in principle?
    I don't quite understand why gays should when no single group has exclusive ownership of the word "marriage".

  7. #757
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    I would, ONLY if the government had only one term for ALL government recognized unions/marriages.

    Separate but equal is just setting up a condition for discrimination.
    IOW...what it is called is more important than what it really is. tomaytoe or tomahtoe it still tastes the same

    military rank example: an O3 in the army, air force and marines is called a "captain". an O3 in the navy is called a "lieutenant". separate but equal for more than 100 years and there is no discrimination there.

    if the only difference is the name... where is the grounds for discrimination?

    it's all about being socially accepted instead of any legal issue
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #758
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    I don't quite understand why gays should when no single group has exclusive ownership of the word "marriage".
    should and would are separate concepts.

    suppose some filthy rich idiot wants to give both of us 1 million dollars each. would you turn it down simply because he wants to call mine a "gift' and yours a 'handout"?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #759
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    should and would are separate concepts.

    suppose some filthy rich idiot wants to give both of us 1 million dollars each. would you turn it down simply because he wants to call mine a "gift' and yours a 'handout"?
    That's a rather bad analogy.
    Is the word "marriage" yours to give out as you see fit?

  10. #760
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Is the word "marriage" yours to give out as you see fit?
    did I ever say it was? I really don't give a rat's ass either way as long as I still get all the legal benefits from the gubbermint. you can call the union between my wife and I a fraking turnip for all i care.

    it's as I said earlier. it is more important to gays (and supporters) to have the social acceptance of calling their unions a 'marriage' than it is to have the identical legal benefits under a different name.

    not saying it's right or wrong, but that is how it appears.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •